surefire kl6 driver question

fireboltr

Enlightened
Does anyone know/remember witch of the 1210 resistors r10, or r33 to change and what value to use to get the stock driver up to 1.2-1.4 amps????

And yes I did search....Alot....

Thanks in advance.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Don't do it. CM modded my KL6 with a nice WxxH emitter and set bias to 1.1 amps to the LED, and it was to much for the heatsinking. Got hot and output dropped, dropped, dropped quickly (used lightmeter with bounce). CM said that the heatsinking is not as robust as it looks from the outside. I had him mod the KL6 with a Seoul P4, and 1 amp to the LED, and I was much happier.

Bill

fireboltr

Enlightened
thanks.....
I know the heatsinking isn't great....
I am adding to the heatsinking as I do this......
it is now running a cree mce je5 bin for the moment.
read the data sheet for it, and I know if I beef up the heatsink a little and run it down to about 300-350ma it will be well within reason.....
again thanks for the tip....

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I would still like an answer to the OP's question because I intend to run an XP-G in the KL6. I am thinking that the stock driver is buck and ought to be able to regulate the output down to 3.3V or so needed to run the XP-G, but it would be nice to up the current to 1.2A or so.

fireboltr

Enlightened
Ok got the info I needed to "play" with it.

There are 2 1210 size resistors on the board. .33 is the one you want to swap. Cut the value in half ( i used a .16)

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Thanks, that will come in handy if I decide to try an XP-G in it once they come out with neutral tint. I might go with a K bin neutral tint (about 4A) MC-E instead though since it looks like I may be able to finally get a custom heatsink I designed made for the KL6. I know the existing heatsink can't handle 10W. :sick2:

fireboltr

Enlightened
Ill have to get a picture up of what I did to beef up the heatsinking....
Basically I built up the area in between the screw posts with aluminum, goining all the way down to and out to the reflector/stock heatsink..... it now surrounds the emmiter completely. It only takes a couple of minutes for the entire head/part of the body to get quite warm now....

But I hada brain fart today..... I freakin fried the stock driver..... Ohh well guess its just the excuse i needed to put in a sob917 :sssh:.
This way I'm ready to rock the same MC-E or put in one of the XP-G R5's I ordered.....

Please let me know if you get the custom heatsink going.....