Dereelight DBS MC-E battery configurations?

ripley24

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this whole thing so this might be a dumb question:

I have a Dereelight DBS v3 with the 3SM MC-E module.

Does anyone know if this can be run with 1x18650? It says in multiple places that you can't run CR123 primaries in it and in the acceptable batteries it says to use either 2xRCR123s or 2x18650s with the extension tube, but it doesn't say anything about 1x18650 in place of 2xRCR123s.

Am I going to blow something up by putting in 1 18650?

Thanks

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
I asked Flashcrazy the same thing in the Marketplace. Here's what he said:

"Yes, the newer 3SM pills can work with a single 18650... well, sort of. The light will work, but the output will only be about 60%, and it may flicker here and there. In short, it's not widely advertised for those reasons, but it will work in emergency situations or if you just want lower output with extended runtimes."

I tried mine with a single 18650 and it works, but since I don't want the reduced output I'm deciding now what battery configuration I want to go with.

Tom

bkumanski

Enlightened
I run mine with 2x18500s. Perfect balance of size and runtime for me.

+1 as well. I know the 18500 are not as common, however I find they work almost as good (runtime wise) as two 18650s and make the lights a little more user friendly (shorter). I used to like my Olight M30 in this configuration and use my DBS in this configuration as well. I also have a P7 Malkoff I use in a 2C mag with two 18500s. It really is a good battery balancing runtime and size.

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
I'm starting to get used to the 2X18500 combination. The 2X18650 is way too long for EDC when you use it a lot. The large head on the end of a long stick is unwieldy and it's a pain to pull it from a holster. I started carrying the 2X18500 tonight and I'm already getting used to it. I'm glad it's another option. Now I need to figure out what to do with my 18650s.

Tom

finn

Newly Enlightened
Am I the only reckless person who continues to use 2xcr123's? The light was originally marketed as 2xcr123 compatible - which is why i bought it - and i had been using it in this configuration for some time before they un-recommended it. Been using panasonics and i don't run for long periods on 100%. I know someone will be along presently to tell me i'm using a stick of dynamite as a flashlight...