• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger Penlight Review

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak's new 2 AAA Eiger shirt-pocket penlight is in a class by itself, whether in Brass, Stainless or HAIII.

P1010605.jpg

Over the years Peak has produced several different lights in the 2 AAA configuration. There have basically been two distinct classes of these lights, distinguished principally by their LED's:

First was the Matterhorn variation, available in SS, Brass, HAIII, and a limited run of Titanium. Within this class, heads were available in various 5mm forms: 1 LED, 3 LED, UV, and several different colored LED's. Output levels were also varied; some of the higher power versions were called Fujiyama's. These were beautifully made, as those familiar with Peaks have come to expect. But 5mm's driven hard were still necessarily limited in performance due to the basic characteristics of 5mm LED's, as well as by the very substantial limitations inherent in AAA cells.

Enter the Baltic models. Peak designed and built a new light around the P4 LED, pairing it with a reflector sitting inside a larger diameter head than that used by the Matterhorn series, and driving it with a new electronic circuit to take advantage of the much greater performance offered by this LED. Baltics were, and are, offered in the same metals as the Matterhorns. Baltics are easily differentiated by their slight bulge at the top of the body to accommodate its significantly larger diameter and longer head; Matterhorns are straight bodied and Mattie heads are comparatively short.

Now we have the Eiger. Streamlined like the slim Matterhorn, but performing like the Baltic because it employs a high-performiance Rebel 100.

For those unfamiliar with PEAK LED SOLUTIONS lights, here is a brief description of the construction of the 2 X AAA bodied Eiger. On the outside it has a very simple body tube, threaded up front for the Eiger head, and threaded at the rear to accept either (i), a keychain post, or (ii) an optional bulletproof, momentary switch. The exquisite brass version has two very wide and two narrow bands of tasteful knurling which cover most of the length of the body, with smooth rings separating each of the bands. The knurling is not at all aggressive, but entirely adequate for typical penlight use. HAIII models are also knurled. There is no knurling on the stainless steel version - that tube is smooth. The heads have milled flats in a stylish pattern.

Eiger Penlight components, which are manufactured in Brass, Smooth Stainless, and HAIII, can be mixed and matched, as this HAIII body has been married to a head and momentary switch in SS.

P1010612.jpg

In fact, because the Eiger head is compatible with every Peak Matterhorn body, it can be switched over to any of a huge assortment of optional body and tube compartments. These include the AAA, 2AAA, 10280 and 10180 bodies, in either HAIII, Brass or Stainless, and in either keychain/momentary, and some lug or pocket styles. The product line-up sticky in the Peak Sub-Forum (courtesy of MWClint) describes and illustrates these Matterhorn variations, including the Fujiyama, in great detail. There have also been a limited number of components produced in both titanium and gold-plated brass.

P1010609.jpg

Workmanship is superb, and both the brass and stainless polish up very, very nicely. Threads are tight and silky smooth, especially in brass, but they should be lightly lubricated with a lithium based grease. Avoid too much lubrication since this can impair current flow.

An O-ring on the head provides a snug fit to seal the battery compartment which holds 2 AAA batteries, positive terminals facing forward. This penlight body (along with all the keychain versions of other Peak lights) is quite ingenious in that it has a small machined hex-head bolt threaded into the tail end of the body. This bolt is bored out and threaded internally to accept inserts to serve either of two purposes (whichever you prefer): (a) it can hold a negative battery contact in the forward portion of the bolt and a keychain post at the rear; or (b) it can instead hold a momentary switch. These can be easily switched out and exchanged. A small foam washer at the tail end prevents battery rattle. Another O-ring is used to prevent water intrusion at the rear of the body. These O-rings all seem to work well, probably because of the close tolerances in the design and manufacture - I've never observed any water entry in any Eiger, Matterhorn or Baltic. Because the O-rings are subject to abrasion during twisting of the body, they should also be lubricated lightly.

Operation is as simple as it gets: twist the head on, and twist it off.

In the momentary version, the depth of the head is initially adjusted by twisting it into the body until the momentary switch operates with the desired level of sensitivity - a quick and easy adjustment. Even with the momentary switch installed, the head can be twisted to the on position for more convenient extended use. The spring-loaded momentary switch does not click on or off - it is a very simple device that allows current to flow when depressed. It is completely silent. The operating button is wide and beefy and available in either brass or stainless. For those familiar with Peak's momentary switches, this is the very same tried and true, smoothly operating switch also used in Peak's Matterhorn, Baltic, Pacific and Caribbean series of lights. I highly recommend the momentary switch for these penlights if they are to be carried in a shirt pocket, although the keychain post may offer some advantages for other applications.

The Eiger Penlight uses two AAA sized batteries in series, primary or rechargeable, and of any battery chemistry except 3.7v LiIon cells. The circuit is not designed to handle 7.4v. The circuit board and heatsink, like those of all Peaks, are potted (totally encased) for protection against shock and moisture in a heat-transferring epoxy. This is the same reliable circuitry Peak has used in all its Pacific and Baltic P4 lights. The positive contact at the rear of the head is a very solid gold-plated brass button.

The size of the Eiger Penlight is typical of all 2 X AAA lights, 13mm X 128mm, with the momentary switch and either the narrow or medium beam head. Here's one (with a brass momentary and brass narrow beam head) next to a 2XAA Brass Caribbean.

P1010600-1.jpg

The head used for the wide beam models is slightly shorter (because of the optics) and reduces overall length by 6mm.

The weight of these Eigers, with a momentary switch and pocket clip, is:

Without batteries:
HAIII .82 oz
SS 1.58 oz
Brass 2.28 oz

With 2 X E2 lithium primaries
:
HAIII 1.36 oz (38.6 gr)
SS 2.12 oz (60.0 gr)
Brass 2.82 oz (79.8 gr)

After pocketing around a shiny Brass version for about 2 minutes I noticed that this is not a light you want to carry loose - it bangs all around a shirt pocket and makes itself felt. But with a clip to secure it, the weight isn't a factor at all. The HAIII is almost not even there, it's so light. With a pen and a Blackberry it fits into a shirt pocket very comfortably.

The LED used is a 0100 bin Rebel, offered in either a Natural (very, very warm) or a Cool tint. Colored Rebel's are also available on special order. As noted three beam profiles are offered: wide, medium or narrow. The medium uses a collimating optic while the wide and narrow versions use reflectors. All are covered with a lexan window.

Performance with two 1.5v cells for 3 volts is nothing short of phenomenal! Very nearly 10440 performance levels with a pair of about any old alkalines. And the Eiger can scream at this level, depending upon the power level chosen.

A particular advantage of the Eiger is that it is manufactured and can be ordered in any one of eight different power levels ranging from dim and very long-running (Level 1), to brighter than blazes with much less runtime (Level 8). You pick. It is, however, a single level light with no strobes, SOS mode, or variable outputs.

Rumor has it that a variable output switch to replace the momentary is on the way. Actually, it's not a rumor. I am reliably informed that a new multi-level switch is in the works as this is written that can be retro-fitted in seconds to many, if not most, Peaks in the Mountain series (provided they are of the keychain/momentary configuration.)

Others have previously posted output and runtime data on Eigers with different power levels and battery selections. Because the penlight employs two AAA's in series for a total of 3v, output will be somewhat less than with a single 3.7v LiIon battery, though runtimes should be substantially longer.

Speaking generally, there is a vast difference in performance from the Level 1 to the Level 8 lights. Total lumens with 2 AAA cells at Level ! should be low enough to satisfy anyone slinking around the house at night without waking others. Output at Level 8 you simply have to see to believe. Beamshots don't do it justice.

At this point a few words are in order about the wide, medium or narrow beam profiles offered in the Eiger. If you tighten up a beam profile, the available lumens resulting from the particular combination of battery, circuitry and LED will be concentrated to produce more candlepower hitting objects in front of the light. Widen that beam profile and the available lumens from the same combination will be diluted so to speak and candlepower and perceived brightness will be reduced, resulting of course in less throw. Accordingly, there is a very significant variation in throw between the three available beam profiles.

Others have previously posted beamshots of the Eiger so I'll not clutter things up here with more of the same. Besides, I'm a pretty lousy photographer. (The pictures in this post really don't do justice to the appearance of these lights - when I can figure out how, I'll post some better ones.) But every Eiger beam I've seen and used - whether outdoors or against white walls - has been very, very clean. No ugly artifacts, no distracting rings, no unevenness, nothing at all to detract from the useable light. They are, in fact, the nicest beams I've seen on any lights, period.

Comparing the beams of the narrow, medium and wide variations is eye-opening to say the least. The narrow has a fairly large but well defined hot spot with respectable (but not dramatic) throw and a very considerable spill. This was the Eiger I started with and at the time could not imagine it could be improved upon. It was Number 8 Natural, and far too warm for my tastes, especially indoors, so I switched that head over to a penlight body with a momentary to carry around on evening walks. Outdoors, the Natural isn't too bad at all (even though I still much prefer the Cool). This is a great configuration to walk around with because it's just so easy to carry, and so convenient and quick to get into action.

Well then along came a medium which has an optic that produces the smoothest, floody beam pattern imaginable. The beam is big and beautiful and its transition from the center of the hot spot to the extreme limit of the spill is virtually seamless. No rings, no borders, no steps, no shadows... just a gradual reduction in intensity from the center of the beam out to its very edge. As the name implies, the medium produces a beam with a larger central region of much brighter light, but it sacrifices a bit more throw to achieve the broader, very clean pattern with more flood. This is unquestionably the best choice for general use, especially in the higher power levels which really make full use of its potential.

The wide beam is yet another story. Throw is sacrificed almost entirely for the benefit of an extremely wide and very even flood. The output of the wide beam model has been called a "mini wall of light" and I couldn't possibly think of a more accurate description. Simply imagine something akin to a handy, little, indestructible florescent tube in your shirt pocket. For most shirt pocket uses indoors or in working spaces, and unless there is a need for some throw, the wide beam really is ideal. This is what I would use for peering into or working in cases, cabinets, closets, small work spaces and the like. Lately I've been carrying a Cool, Wide Number 6 in SS and it's become one of my favorites - more than bright enough for all my indoor uses.

With tired old eyes I am not the best judge of tints, and still prefer nice blue tints on my old 5mm's, but as I've noted the Natural is way too warm for me (it is nearly as warm as an incandescent), though others will no doubt have their own preferences. The Cool, on the other hand, could not appear more perfect to my eyes. It's totally subjective (and everyone's heard about the LED tint lottery) but I have never seen any tint at all in the Cool Peaks.

Here is a link to the Peak website listing the Fujiyama class lights:
http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Fujiyama.html

And here is a link to MWClint's really excellent product lineup sticky:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212589

The Eiger penlight has not yet been added to the website but they are indeed available.

Peak has hit another one out of the ballpark with this new Eiger penlight. It's a perfect shirt pocket light. Beautifully made with many build and performance options, this is a fantastic, high performing user-friendly light for any dress shirt or work uniform.

P1010608.jpg

Last edited:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, gotta get me one of those for my B-day! (in Brass!)

-Mayo

(excellent review btw)

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Great Review!

To me, my Medium, Natural, number 4 power is as yellow as a fairly dimmed incan bulb - not low wattage but, run through a dimmer and about one quarter brightness. On a positive note, even though the Natural Eiger appears to have a very warm tint, color rendering is much better than would be guessed! I'm torn on how much I like the Peak Natural since the light is so much different in tint than the cool that we are all used to.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Where is a link to Peak's website? Was this a teaser review? No search results come up except this review.

Bill

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
the smooth ss with momentary switch- #1 or#2 should be standard issue for ER docs.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
"The Eiger penlight has not yet been added to the website but they are indeed available."

So a call to RMSK to ask Bob if he has any Fuji/Eiger/Matterhorn 2xaaa may be needed.:broke:

greenLED

Flashaholic
1. Excellent review.

2. This may change my long-standing opinion that Peak lights are not pretty. (Spare it, we've gone down that road before...) :nana:

3. These would make really nice gifts for doctors.

post tenebras

Enlightened
I'm still clueless regarding how to order one of these.

Is the momentary switch available in HA?

Can one order a mixed combo, i.e., SS head & momentary switch with a HA body?

Thanks.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAIII Momentary Switch? Good question - I've never seen one. Mine are Brass or SS.

Combo's? Yes! A little background: The first picture of a Peak combo I saw was posted by MWClint. It was a Pacific as I recall, and very beautiful with a HAIII body and Brass head. He is known for his incredible mods and I assume this combo was something he concocted. Later, I asked Robyn about this and learned that Peak often receives combo requests. This is a nice way to spice up the appearance of a light while saving weight.

Just call Curt or Robyn and let them know what you are interested in.

Last edited:

RobynS

Newly Enlightened
I'm still clueless regarding how to order one of these.

Is the momentary switch available in HA?

Can one order a mixed combo, i.e., SS head & momentary switch with a HA body?

Thanks.

Hello,

I am sorry for any confusion as to how to order - you can order through our distributer - RMSK (Bob Kastan) at 877-327-0136 or email him at [email protected].

Yes, they can be ordered as a mixed combo - no problem!

The momentary switch is only available in Brass or Stainless Steel.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us or Bob a call.

Best regards,

Robyn
877-881-7325

Burgess

Flashaholic
What a Wonderful Review, on a very interesting light !

:twothumbs

Can someone please give a rough idea of Lumens delivered at various Levels ?

Something like this: (as an example)

Level 1 - 2 Lumens

Level 2 - 5 Lumens

Level 3 - 10 Lumens

etcetera

Thank you.