MAGLight Combo Upgrades

LEFTY870

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I want to first thank everyone here for all the info I've taken away here. I've been "stalking" around here for about a week and I finally logged on.

Now my problem.....

I'm a part time LEO and I'm looking for a good duty light. I know rechargables are the best for the long run, but I'm looking at battery powers for right now.

At SAM'S CLUB the aother day, they had a MAGLight combo for $20. It included a 3C and a 2AA. I was wondering what mods can I do to these two to make them servicable until I can get the SF 9N Commander that I want.

Also, I'm open to suggestion on the rechargeable light. I'm looking at the 9N because of its dual output setting. But the new TASK LIGHTS look good also. The light will need to be able to take a blow incase its used as a weapon itself. And enough light output to stop a BG or at least slow him down. And its got to be able to be carried on me and not too heavy to leave in the car.

Thanks
LEFTY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

LEFTY870

Newly Enlightened
Also, I'm new to this stuff, so I'm having a hard time understanding the language. So please speak in words a layman would understand.

I'm able to build small items that do not require alot of tools.

LEFTY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the 2 AA, you might want to try a MadMax+. It would be a good general purpose light, but not as your only light for your work.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
lefty

2aa mag: get a drop-in sandwich from the www.anlighten.com/shop site. either bb (badboy) or mm (madmax). more info on that site. oh, the site is down currently. there is plenty of info on this site...

3c mag: need to modify this to use a 5w luxeon. give mr bulk an email and see if he can whip you up a light. you have seen his space needle 2, right?

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, I second the BB or MM sandwich for the MiniMag, I've got 1 of each and they are great.
I also second the email to MrBulk, he is an LEO and understands your requirements better than most.
For your rechargable you might want to look into a Tigerlight, they are very bright and the standard model has a built in pepper spray with several brands and strengths available. Plus the Tigerlight has been sold through our dealers forum for as little as $100.00, when your ready give Dan at Tactical Warehouse a call, he'll also match any price you find on the same product.
My 2 cents.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't buy the 3-C mag. Buy a 3-D cell mag instead.

Go to a hardware store and buy 4 C-cell batteries. Go to the PVC pipe section and buy a couple of feet of PVC that will fit a C-cell battery inside snugly.

At home cut the PVC so that 4-C cell batteries fit inside with the ends sticking out on each side far enough so they make good contact with the spring in the tailcap and the switch on the inside of the body. Insert inside Mag body. You now have a brighter Mag light by overdriving the bulb.

Now order a Tigerlight, Ultra Stinger or Surefire 9nC and put the mag light in your car trunk for emergencies.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wolfen said:
Now order a Tigerlight, Ultra Stinger or Surefire 9nC and put the mag light in your car trunk for emergencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surefire 9nC?

-Mike

LEFTY870

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all and MR BULK for the responses.

Now where do I find a MADMAX or BADBOY and an EVERLED?

LEFTY;=

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an EverLED look here but if you would like to buy one, look here at LED Supply.

Wayne's new website isn't working right now. This is were you should be able to purchase a Badboy or Madmax relatively soon when the site is back up. Meanwhile, do some research and look at Wayne's old website for information about the BB and MM. Have fun!

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everled will be no where near bright enough, just forget it.

Buy the expensive light you want and write it off as a business expense at the end of the year. Forget the mods for a full size light. Forget the 5watt mods, no proven reliability. Buy a bright rechargable, brand new. You are worth it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I am a police detective with 12+ years of police experience...I don't always know the proper Surefire terminolgy, the 9 series is a good light. I would consider it along with the rechargable Stinger / UltraStinger, Mag rechargable and other Surefire rechargables, and I guess the Tigerlight.