Homemade Sealed Beam flashlight

josie

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,
Just did an Instructable on how to build a waterproof sealed beam flashlight out of PVC drain pipe. See it here.

FTVP7GOG0UPX1MR.MEDIUM.jpg

This bad boy uses a #4546 sealed beam light and 6V lantern battery.
Performance is equal to the standard Big Beam flashlights.

Enjoy!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lot's of clever ideas there!! Reminds me of the early days of CPF. I think that will be a pretty durable lamp you built.

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Josie, :welcome:!

Great first post. Love it when new members add somthing new with their first post.

I followed this, and was impressed with how you solved the problems of locating the bulb and battery. Particularly impressive was the use of the screen door handle - I bet that was the inspiration for the whole project.

The end result is rather useful, and good for the car. Well done! My only suggestion would be to add the refinement somehow to put a "foot" on it, so the handle is always uppermost when you put it down. I know you can tailstand it when you are not using it, but having it horizontal but still easy to grab will make it easier to use.

One question: - you intend it for the boat - does it float?

josie

Newly Enlightened
The inspiration was the dozen sealed beam lamps I found at the local Habitat for Humanity store! There were worth the $6 :--)

I'm leaving this light hanging on a hook in the garage, so no need for a base...
The one thing I don't like is that the switch is too easy to turn on. Thats a future project.

Now my attention will go to a Big Beam modification. Yes it's a model 1000...
oh yeah, and a generator driven bike light, and maybe a few others!