flashlight for snowmaking

stephenanderson

Newly Enlightened
im looking for a really bright flashlight above 20,000 candle power it must be rechargeable, and last for 4 hours or more on one charge. I'm thinking that white led is the way to go, but I don't get any info on candle power from anyone on their output.
does anyone know of a flashlight for me? the brighter the better. it also must be waterproof preferably submersable.
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hmmmm....you're in a tough situation. Do you really need 20,000 CP? Perhaps you could describe "snowmaking" some more. Somone correct me if I am wrong--but I don't think you'll be getting anywhere close to 20,000 candle power from a LED anytime soon.

Snowmaking in California?? I thought that was a Utah thing...(Greatest Snow on Earth
smile.gif
)

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
It only has a 2 hr run time but this should be bright enough.
Reva

Seriously, those are pretty steep requirements.

Try streamlight's products made for firefighters. Rechargeable, damn heavy, and not very pretty. Not inexpensive.

Streamlight

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that your best bet would be a streamlight ultrastinger with some extra battery packs. and a quick charger. The ultrastinger is rated at 75000 CP

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one that I can think of, is this one:

sr2010.jpg

Koehler-Bright Star / LSI Responder SR2010

Do not have any first hand experience with this product.

Hope this information is what you are looking for.

$ 96.95 at www.brightguy.com

here is the description:

The Responder Nite Tracker 150,000CP Rechargeable, Orange High/Low/Flashing, 8 Hour run time at 150,000 CP,12 hours at 50,000 CP, and 15 hours in the flashing mode. The SR2010 uses a Halogen/Xenon lamp and has a 3-position high/low/flash rocker switch with seperate on/off button. Comes complete with charging station, AC and DC charge cords, and heavy duty adjustable shoulder strap. The sealed lead acid battery recharges in 8 hours from a 110 AC outlet and 3-4 hours from a 12V DC source.

Specification Description

Battery Type Rechargeable
Battery Number Sealed Lead Acid
Dimensions 9.5"
Lamp Type 10 watt Halogen/Xenon bi-pin, 6 volts, 1.5 amps, 100 hr life.
Light Output 150,000 CP
Weight w/ Batteries 5 lbs.
Run Time Up to 12 Hours
Charge Time 8 hours
Focus Type Spot
On/Off Rocker Switch
Material Plastic

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Bushman:
I think that your best bet would be a streamlight ultrastinger with some extra battery packs. and a quick charger. The ultrastinger is rated at 75000 CP
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I do not agree. If Stephen is going to be working during night snowmaking operations, he's not going to want to stop and replace batteries. Imagine accidentally dropping a battery pack into a soft snow bank, not good. The ultrastinger is not waterproof, let alone submersible.

Something else to consider is the switch. If you're going to be turning it on/off, manipulation of a small button type switch might be awkward (impossible) with insulated ski gloves.

Someone with battery chemical knowledge might want to insert 2 cents here on performance of rechargeable SLA vs. Nicad in sub-freezing temps.

stephenanderson

Newly Enlightened
more info
temps down to -20F humidity to 100%
7000-9000 ft
i have a pilican rechargeable i could use as a second flashlight if one needs recharging during the night
i would like to light up an area 10 feet wide from about say 500 ft more is better
2 hours on a charge would be sufficient but i would like more
spotlights would not work I need something I can stick in a large jacket pocket or hang on a belt or something

CNC Dan

Enlightened
Originally posted by stephenanderson:
im looking for a really bright flashlight above 20,000 candle power it must be rechargeable, and last for 4 hours or more on one charge. I'm thinking that white led is the way to go, but I don't get any info on candle power from anyone on their output.
does anyone know of a flashlight for me? the brighter the better. it also must be waterproof preferably submersable.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well how much snow do you want it to make?

Hell, I didn't even know flashlights could make snow. Next they will make lights that can make snew(tm).

stephenanderson

Newly Enlightened
i also read that 1 candlepower is 12.? lumens
but pelican says that 47.8 lumens equals 12,000
candlepower
anybody have any other correct info?

Ratso

Enlightened
Lumens and candlepower are totally different. Lumens is the total light output. Candlepower is the intesity of the central spot. CP ratings are decieving. I know Kholer-Brightstar/LSI have extremely inflated ratings. I bet Streamlight is a more reliable source to compare to.

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
2 hr rechargeable light with a 500 ft throw is a good challenge.

I see your choices as:
LSI/Koehler Responder Rechargeable Personal Light (Class 1). I haven't played with one of these.

Or the Streamlight Survivor, or Vulcan.

Both are Waterproof. Adequate battery life. Decent throw (though I doubt they'll throw 500 ft). Provisions for hanging off a jacket.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by stephenanderson:
i also read that 1 candlepower is 12.? lumens
but pelican says that 47.8 lumens equals 12,000
candlepower
anybody have any other correct info?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Stephen,

To show you the confusing nature of Pelican's statement consider the UltraStinger at 75,000 CP. That figure is derived by first focusing the US down to its tightest beam, and then selecting the brightest point within that beam.

75,000 divided by 12,000 = 6.25 x 47.8 lumens =
298.75 lumens, which is only 15% less than the M6 with LOLA (350 lumens). Now, if we open the focus of the US until it's hotspot diameter is roughly equal to the M6's (of course that hotspot gets pretty ragged so this can only be done on an approximate basis)it is clearly apparent that it is nowhere near as bright as the M6. Where did all those lumens go? They were never there in the first place!

As Ratso points out, lumens=total light energy or the total amount of light. Candlepower refers most often to a focused beam of light. If you have x amount of light (lumens) focused into a 6" diameter spot at 10 feet you will achieve a candlepower reading of, say "1000". But if you widen the focus to 10 feet and take another reading it will be a tiny fraction of "1000". Same amount of light, different intensity.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever come up with areliable conversion formula, though if one exists chances are that some Flashaholic will know it and hopefully, post it!

That's why LUMENS is a preferred measurement for Surefire. It is finite and unvarying except for battery and lamp fade.

Brightnorm

stephenanderson

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys and weird as is may seem i think i just might have to go with my first choice before all of this the pelican m11 unless someone says that's a bad idea.

thanks again

Ratso

Enlightened
Rememeber you can get a general idea on Lumens from the watts. Multiply Watts x 20 (15-25 depending on the kind of lamp used). This is not accurate but can give you a good idea.

For example:
UltraStinger = 10 W, x 20 = about 200 Lumens.
M6 + MN20 LOLA = 17.6 W x 20 = about 352 Lumens.

I'd say Xenon bulbs multiply around 18-20
Krypton maybe around 10-15.
HID Arclamp? hmmm... probably around 45-55

That would give the UK LC100 about 500 lumens which sounds right.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by T-Rex:
Ratso,

See here luminous efficacy for efficiencies of different lamps.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I sure wish they had included LED's in that chart. I don't think they would have done too well.

Brightnorm

rlhess

Enlightened
Ok...a little fun with figures...

10 foot diameter circle at 500 feet.

Let's say we want to light that to 5 fc (not very bright.

However, that means we need 1,250,000 candela output. I have measured two 1,000,000 candela (candlepower) spotlights at 100,000 and 65,000 cd (the two I have in my sig--the Vector is the brighter).

BUT since you only want to light the 10-foot circle (which is 250,000/((10/2)^2*pi) steradians, then you would divide the 1,250,000 candela by that answer and end up with 393 lumens IF it is all focused on the 10-foot circle.

We are talking some killer optics and at least a 20W lamp.

I don't think the UKE Light Cannon is tight enough to meet your criteria. The UKE SL6 falls way short at about 13,000 cd (measured).

I do NOT believe any of the candela ratings in this thread--except perhaps the UltraStinger IF and only IF it is focused down to a pinprick. The SL-6 is a fairly tight beam and is an 8W lamp for about 160 lumens (though in a conversation with UKE they mentioned 200).

Perhaps the best resource for looking at this stuff is Brock's flashlight page http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash.htm
The only thing that comes close is the N62 lamp assembly from SureFire...but that only runs 20 minutes on 4 123-cells.

I don't think you'll find any of the Litebox types of lights that far-throwing, but you might look at the Streamlight ones. The Sealed Lead Acid battery should be good in the cold, too, but it's not light weight.

Anyway, I don't think you'll find what you need.

Oh, and see if you can use rechargeables in the Light Cannon, 'cause at -20, alkalines are toast.

Cheers,

Richard