Rayovac 3W 2AA Extreme - Runtime and Review

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
I bought this flashlight yesterday, and here's the runtime on two Duracell Precharged white tops, 2000mAh.
Graph from Openoffice:

50% after about three hours. Around 30 lumens.
After three hours, the body was VERY warm, but it will beat any incandescent with the beam quality and runtime. I like this light.

Verdict: I'm keeping it, and this will probably be my new EDC, and my Fenix my backup.
The emitter cooled down in color after a few hours running. When I first got it, it had a nasty light pink-ish beam on it. After a full depletion on the batteries once, the lux seemed to even out.

Outdoor beamshots/throwshots coming sometime this week.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the info, TheInvader. Does this ROV flashlight use a Luxeon III LED? K2 LED?

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think these are Lux III lights. They are listed at 80 lumens.

Interesting comment about the tint changing after few hours of runtime.
I have a 1W version of this light that has the same pinkish tint that I hate.

Have to try running the light for a couple of hours and see what happens.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I bought mine several months ago. It gets used occasionally on EMS calls, and I just changed the batteries for the first time this week. I was amazed how much brighter it was, back to full power!

I have one problem, and this seems to afflict a lot of flashlights I've had over the years. After a while it got to flickering when I turned it on. Usually a bump or two will fix the problem. I tried adjusting the spring in the tailcap, but that had no effect (works in my MiniMags) but then after removing and replacing the head, and finding absolutely nothing that I thought might help to adjust, it went back to working just fine. Now I don't abuse my lights, but ocasionally they do get banged up against something when I am walking about, since they stay on my belt.

Does anybody make a flashlight at a reasonable price that is super rugged and virtually impossible to screw up?

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened

http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/selux2aa3w-b.shtml#.shtml

I think it's this one, I have 2 (well, I gave 1 away) but I will say they make great beater, loaner lights. The person I gave the light to goes night fishing all the time and loves it, while mine lives in my tool box that I keep in my truck (batteries removed).

In my neck of the woods (Sandwich isles) I haven't seen them on the store shelves for awhile, but would pick up another if I did.