What do you EDC? Neutral or Cool?

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I live in a fairly urban area and it seems like with the outside light (streetlights etc.) sometimes the neutral tint of my Quark 123^2 NW gets washed out and isn't as effective, though I still love the light and tint.

Which lead me to be curious which of tint you prefer to carry on a daily basis and why?

strinq

Enlightened
I'm edc-ing a liteflux lf2xt in neutral and am very happy with it but i don't actually use them for walking around outdoors (when i want to do that i bring my bigger lights).
Use em mainly to see in small dark places that i accidentally drop my stuff into etc. Not for long range use so the tint doesn't get washed out.

bstrickler

Enlightened
I EDC a Neutral and a Cool white light.

I carry a AA^2 Quark Tactical, and a SureFire 6P that uses a cool white LightHound/LumensFactory 3v-13v dropin.

~Brian

MWClint

Enlightened
for today it's an
EX10 with a high cri neutral seoul
Peak Eiger with a cool rebel

i usually have one of each in my rotation.

duboost

Enlightened
both for me as well. I usually at least have my D10 and my EZAA Warm on me

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently I've been EDCing an LF2XT, and an EZ-CR2, both neutral.

I strongly prefer neutral -- to the point that I will not purchase a light if it does not come with a neutral white option, or permit easy emitter-swapping after the fact.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually have either my Quark AA neutral tactical or my new P100A2 neutral on me, but I always have my E01. In lower powered lights (under 15), I prefer maximum efficiency, thus I go for cool, but at higher outputs, I greatly prefer neutral.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer cool white or white as possible not sure why my eyes or brain prefer it. My only guess is neutral reminds me more of incan.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
EDC'ing a SF T1A, neck carrried, modded with a neutral white Seoul P4, U2, and a Little Twisty with a Malkoff M60LL, which is also neutral, leaning toward a warmish tint.

Bill

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Neutral... don't own anything warm yet... thinking about upgrading the SSC P4 in one of my Novatacs, just haven't gotten around to it yet... sounds like a good new years resolutions! :naughty:

hoongern

Enlightened
I EDC them all!

Fenix E01 - Purple-white

Quark AA WC - Cool white

LF2XT 4C - "Neutral" white - although I personally consider it 'slightly warm white' and daylight (6000k) as neutral white - just different reference point.

I will be adding in an incan [3300K] in the next couple of days - so I'll carry the whole spectrum!

Use them all =)

I find that the cool whites normally serve me better, but it's completely preference, and maybe because they're brighter than my LF2XT. I'll find out when I get my incan =)

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
One of each for me. A fenix TK20 which is the yellowish one and a fenix L1D which is a cooler tint. I didn't choose them because of the tints though. I chose the TK20 cos it has a sharp beam that projects a decent distance across my paddocks and the L1D cos it fits in my top pocket (and between my lips when I need "hands free").

There's not much ambient light out here to cut through. Having compared it with a couple of cooler tint torches such as my LedLenser P7 I actually don't feel overly comfortable with the "neutral" tint of the TK20 in the bush and paddocks at night. I actually think I pick up colours and see things better with the cooler tints. When I use the TK20 to look in trees it makes them look sort of dirty. Despite having allowed myself a week or so to get used to it, there's something about the yellower looking tint that makes my eyes feel as though the vision is less clear than it is with the cool ones. I can live with the neutral but would actually prefer the same TK20 torch in a cooler tint.

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened
I carry both:

For mid-long range I use cool-white (for the brightest possible):
Quark AA Tactical, R2 Edition

And for flood I use neutral-white (great for close up work. Easy on the eyes):
Quark MiNi AA, neutral (Limited) <------As soon as it gets here:shrug:

Vee3

Enlightened
After having an EZ AA neutral, I don't think I'll be buying anything but neutral/warm. It may have something to do with my severe color blindness, but my EZ AA is way better looking to me than any LED I've ever seen.

I've only ever bought about 5-6 high powered LED lights since they came out, hoping I'd get one with a tint that agreed with me. Some were better than others, but never what I'd hoped for. I've stuck mostly with incans because of this; I thought LED's kinda sucked as far as the quality of light they put out.

I rekun these neutral/warm ones are gonna cost me a lot of money. I can see them replacing all but my keychain lights.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually EDC a neutral tint Quark 123.Cool tint is good for indoor use, maybe even better in some cases than neutral but the neutral tint is much better for outdoor use and works fine for indoor use as well.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ez123 neutral white in the coat pocket and a McGizmo Sapphire on the keychain.

As everything is well lit where I move along, they're not being used that often...

fareast

Enlightened
I carry both also:

A very white NEX Q5 which gets the most use outdoors, carried on keyring and in the pockets are the flooders: a lummi Raw and a Wee both in a neutral tint.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both. I generally have a couple lights on me. However it's more difficult to find neutral lights and after years of collecting I have a lot more cool white tinted LEDs than neutral. However because using a neutral (outdoors especially) is such an advantage I make a point to always have a neutral LED light with me whenever I don't have an incandescent.

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
A cool white on my cell phone. I don't really EDC any flashlights. :poke:

And when i do carry them, its still a CW, because i dont own any WW :sick: