Urban Exploration

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Hello all, after going here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/257862 (dont worry, will be updating soon with pictures) I thought about a new hobby of urban exploration.

I was always interested in these underground tunnels, drains, and abandoned buildings and when I saw what UE was all about I had to learn more.

I am most interested if anyone here is involved in UE and would even more so interested if any members here living in NYC are part of UE.

Thanks!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like urban exploration, but my chunk of California doesn't contain too many post-industrial wastelands for me to explore. I do like to look around abandoned structures and sites, but it's rare that I come across anything awesome like large tunnels. I'm sure there are plenty of groups in NY who are all over that stuff.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
A moderator is likely to stop by with words to this effect: CPF doesn't like us to talk about things that are against the law here - and it is their right to enforce forum rules. You're likely to be ok as long as you aren't asking about "flashlights that I can use but security guards won't see," or other directly-in-support-of-lawbreaking questions. There are some excellent forums for exploration, and while flashlights are necessary, I suspect that the moderators would closely watch such threads here so as to enforce the environment they feel is best for CPF.

With that said, I'm on the Urban Exploration Resource (forum), and I think you'll be able to meet people of similar interests in your area. I hope you're able to check out the NYC tunnel - there's plenty more where that comes from.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Apple Snail, you are 100% correct. I have been reading around and I see there are two types of exploration. The legal way and not legal. Since I want to pursue a career in law enforcement I think I will stick the legal route, besides I was never one to "live on the edge"

When I have some more free time, I will be checking out some of those forums.

I am mostly looking for groups of ORGANIZED people who do things the right and legal way such as the tunnel tour I was on.

Thanks for your input.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't able to make that last trip and wouldn't dare suggesting going there on Valentine's Day!!
It does look like a fun trip and I would like to try it at least once.
Cosmo, If you happen to find a legal UE trip I'm in! I'll look around to see if there's anything in NJ in the meantime.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Thank you everyone for your input and looking out for a fellow CPFer.

Mods, if this thread even remotely goes off track please lock. In fact, if you feel the thread is just itching for trouble, please lock now as I would not like to cause any trouble.

I hope we can keep this thread on track because I am sure there are plenty of LEGAL ways of this hobby.

Thanks, Chris

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm like urban exploration, but my chunk of California doesn't contain too many post-industrial wastelands for me to explore. I do like to look around abandoned structures and sites, but it's rare that I come across anything awesome like large tunnels. I'm sure there are plenty of groups in NY who are all over that stuff.

The Marin headlands has a bunch of abandoned tunnels once used for costal defense. The old Nike anti-missle system was there as well as some WWII costal battery sites. The tunnels used to be open for exploration. I remember exploring them with my 2C Sportsman flashlight. That was 35 years ago!

There are the ghost towns like Bodie in Nevada. My wife and I explored an old abandoned mining town one night outside Rachel Nevada. The name escapes me. We then joined the Conspiracy Theorists watching Area 51! That was in my im cro-Mag-num days.

Last edited:

Superdave

Enlightened
there was a show about it on the Discovery channel a few years ago, it's too bad they canceled it because it was really good!

I did some of this in a 1915 hotel (also supposedly haunted) http://www.hauntedhouses.com/states/ia/blackhawk_hotel.cfm

My company owned it at the time so there was no trespassing involved.

There are tunnels all through our downtown starting at that hotel, most have been blocked off or flooded and destroyed. :(

carrot

Flashaholic
As an NYCer and a flashaholic I have had a passing interest in UE but I have never followed through. I did do some UE while at university, and there was plenty of interesting things to see.

tinker gnome

Newly Enlightened
If anyone is serious about urban exploration than a trip to Pripyat in Ukraine is a must. Not only just a few deserted buildings but a whole deserted city! I have been a few times and it is a great place to see (you need correct permissions naturally).

Ian

Abandoned indeed :ohgeez: But don't forget your Geiger counter :sick: