Duty light help

SmithGW

Newly Enlightened
Hey Folks,

I've been looking around here lately for the best information on an LED, non-rechargeable, light to put on a duty belt. This is intended as a backup to various rechargeables we carry in our vehicles, primarily Stingers and UltraStingers. I would like to have various modes available but without having to go through programming to get to them when needed. Cost is always an issue as is product support and manufacturer longevity. I welcome any suggestions you might have.

Thanks

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first suggestion would be a Surefire E2DL, it fits all of your requirements. It is two modes, high and low, high first.

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
You want as close to 100% reliable as possible, go with a SF 6p/c2/z2/9p with a Z41 momentary twisty tactical tailcap and a Malkoff dropin stoked with cr123 primaries. Leave it for 5 years and when you go to use it it will work. No clicky switch to risk failure with no rechargeable to worry about keeping topped off. The dropin is fully potted single mode brass heatsink.

Just My opinion:cool:

welcome to CPF. Good luck with your wallet!!

Last edited:

chef4850

Enlightened
try looking at the fenix tk10. Great light IMHO, Build is very strong, Very Bright on high and price is a lot lower than when I purchased mine. High and low only and runs off 123a's. Still a go to light.

Welcome to CPF!

Chef

Databyter

Enlightened
I've had a P1d on my belt for about 5 years at work and otherwise.

Alot of times I am carrying a bigger primary light, but the Fenix P1D CE is always there, Tiny small, almost weightless, Very bright in a small package. It comes with a Belt Sheath.

I used it alot at night to take closeup pics of locks and alarms and operate it with one hand although it is a multimode twisty.

I've dropped it drowned it etc and it;s still as good as the day I purchased it.

No matter what other lights I'm using I always have this backup and in some cases use the smaller one over the others for various reasons.

The Batt lasts a fairly long time the way I used it, usually at least 2 weeks. It's a CR123 and you can get rechargables for this if you want The regular batts are cheap if you buy them online do a search on CPF here.

This light, if your not familiar with it is about the size of your thumb, slightly longer than the CR123 Batt. that powers it.

For an always there, never a burdon, light as a feather, and brighter than most average 3D cell light torch, I say go small or even to the same form facter in a 2 CR!@# light such as a P3D (not sure of the exact name but some guy is selling one on a thread somewhere here NIB for 50 Bucks that is 215 lumens and a bit longer than my P1D.

I answered what I assume was your question, not for the best duty light, but for the best belt backup light to always have handy when your main light loop is empty.

try looking at the fenix tk10. Great light IMHO, Build is very strong, Very Bright on high and price is a lot lower than when I purchased mine. High and low only and runs off 123a's. Still a go to light.

Welcome to CPF!

Chef
I use the TK 10 or Mag85 in my belt loop as Primaries, and your right its a great choice, I use it every night and it's surprisingly weightless feeling (the TK 10 ) to carry in a mag loop and both have stunning brightness for what I do. I don't always want to lug a light around so sometimes the TK 10 and Mag85 stay in my P.V. It is then that I appreciate the never thought of but always there when I use it every 5 minutes P1D.

EDIT: BTW I don't think Fenix makes those anymore (the P1D) but they make something very similar, just called something else and not as pretty. They still make the P3d's tho I believe. These are small, handy, light, reliable twisties that take up little belt room and weigh nothing. For tactical lights you would probably prefer something else. Fenix and many others sell lights more suited for tactical use, but I think your looking for a backup or casual light to have on your belt when you don't have your Stream or Stinger with ya.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A P1D is now called a PD10 and is brighter, etc...

A good point about carrying a backup though - 1 is none, 2 is one.

interdictor

Newly Enlightened
I am a police officer and was in the same boat looking for a great product with support and most importantly durability. I grabbed a Malkoff md2 w/ m60 a couple months ago. Great choice. Great runtime on 123's. Durable, great product support (Gene Malkoff). I grabbed mine from Suarez International, I think it was around $90. When I swapped my first set of batteries out, I thought I put the batteries in backwards and inadvertantly blowing the drop in. I called Gene and he offered to replace at no cost. After a closer inspection, I just needed to tighten the inside ring & it has worked flawless. It is durable and has withstood alot of impact as I work a metro crime ridden area. Some of this is rambling but its a great product..

v188

Newly Enlightened
I'm a LEO.

I've got a bunch of different lights over the years, but the best I've found, and it's so good I'm not even looking for anything else is:

Surefire 6P or 9P type bodies and use the Malkoff M60 lense. (He's coming out with a M61 shortly). Use 123A batteries. It's rock steady, virtually unbreakable, US made, and you can call and talk with the man who designed and makes them.

Others above also mentioned Malkoff. There is IMHO, no better duty light available!!!!

Buy it and don't worry, it'll always work and throws huge light!

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I have 11 years in LE with my the last 6 in SWAT. I own probably 12 different Surefires and love them but I would have to say I have been most impressed by the EagleTac line. I've been carrying both the T10LC2 which as 295 lumens and the T100C2 Mark II which is 220 lumens. Both have very simple UI (user interface) with either high / low. Both use either regular 123 lithiums or rechargebles. Hands down these are two of the best values out there!

Last edited:

SmithGW

Newly Enlightened
I really appreciate all the input and I must say great minds think alike. I've found all the models you mentioned while searching the internet.

We used to all have Surefire 6Ps but supervisors didn't want to keep buying batteries when some would blow through a set or two each night. Working on a boat is also not friendly to an incandescent 6P bulb and they got tired of buying those. Hot shock galore. So...almost nobody still carries the 6Ps. Would be great if we could just retrofit them with drop in modules and be done with it. I don't know if the brass would go for having to customize a "perfectly good light" with a drop in module, but will run it up the flag pole. Is the Malkoff a true drop in or does it need to be altered to fit?

I got another email saying that EagleTac has had some problems and was closing shop. Any truth to that?

Has anyone tried the Fenix TA21 or TA20?

Thanks again for helping a brother.

icpd30

Newly Enlightened
A few members have weighed in, all good choices. But most of us have the advantage of owning more than one light, and have spent some amount of time on the forum.

I have 25 years in police work, currently K9 handler but worked 10+ years on SWAT. I will admit that I have always had a love for flashlights but for some reason held off buying any more...until a few months ago.

Someone needing a back up or good primary light: 6P or 9P right out of the box is good if money is an issue. If you can add an M60 Malkoff and rechargeables...perfect. It's way better than my department-issued Streamlight SL20. I also would recommend Fenix TK11, giving you versatility to use an 18650 rechargeable battery.

I have a co-worker, new guy, (heck, I've been there so long EVERYBODY is new!) using a TK11 (I have a TK10). His comment the other day was "I don't know how long the battery will last, I just recharge it every few weeks!!! WEEKS!

lovecpf

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
I got another email saying that EagleTac has had some problems and was closing shop. Any truth to that?
Hi SmithGW,

The eagletac-store.com is the one closing shop and they were only a dealer. EagleTac is going strong and has always been one of the highest output lights in their class. We have a thread going in the market place about the new XP-G models and two are rated at 300 lumens OTF.

Here's the link: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=213891

Here's a press release from a few months ago: http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=138323&cat=12

Policetacteam - Paul @ Loess Hills Tactical is a pleasure to do business with and I'm sure he can give you the best price on an EagleTac.

I would be interested in seeing the email you received. If you don't mind, forward it to "support (at) pts-flashlights.com"

SmithGW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the input. It is a big help.

Regarding EagleTac, I got the email third hand and once I followed up on it, they did mention it was the store. Apparently, they thought that was one and the same with EagleTac. I apologize if I caused any confusion. I was certainly not trying to start or spread rumor, just trying to verify the one I had received.

Now I just have to narrow down the field. We only have authorization to acquire a few to test, but at least we've got some smokin' lights to choose from.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i own a TA30, its got 4 modes, low-med-hi-strobe, you set the mode with the control ring then use the forward clicky for momentary or constant on. Its definitely capable of withstanding abuse as i have tested mine by using the assault bezel on a brick wall.......... repeatedly and all that happened was some loss of anodising on the teeth.

It's a bit longer as it runs on 3xCR123s but the versatility comes with the ability to use other cells, e.g.

2x17500 (my configuration)
2x14500
2xAA alkaline (lower output but can still change modes)
2xeneloop NiMH (output is the same for all modes but it STILL has some light)

icpd30

Newly Enlightened
With egg on my face and apologies to Mike@PTS, I most definitely would add an Eagletac to that list. I just received a T100C2...awesome. Awesome thrower. Awesome output (has to be very conservative at 220 lumens, or a great reflector). Awesome to handle, very comfortable. Awesome price.

Sorry, Mike. My apologies. I plead ignorance. I bought this let to send to my son in Texas, who is soon graduating from a law enforcement academy. Now I have to buy another one---either for him or me.

:oops:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
SmithGW,
I was speaking with another officer from my department who was beside himself that there are actually departments who research the best options available and then provide those lights to their officers. I wish more agencies actually did a little research to find the best available options rather than just going with one of the bigger guys.There is absolutely nothing wrong with either Surefire or Streamlight but there has never been a better time to look outside of the box in terms of options and different brands. When I originally started in LE there was Surefire or Streamlight. PERIOD! Now there are so many quality options it is very easy to become overwhelmed. Take your time, do the research, and you will ultimately provide your officers with a better lighting solution.