How do clear/plastic reflectors even work?

gyani

Newly Enlightened
I know leds project light forward, but how do reflectors such as this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1916 project the light, would it not just "leak" through the sides? How well would this throw with Cree R2s(approximate distance)? Also, is this is a TIR lens, I have seen that term thrown around.

Thanks

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
TIR = total internal reflection

a casual google search will answer all your questions

gyani

Newly Enlightened
Wow. I took high school physics last year, so I do understand it to a certain degree now. Its still pretty cool that no light passes through, at first I thought people were just satisfied, maybe due to little light being lost, but now I understand the concept. I think I may use this reflector in a triple R2 build I am working on. Any idea how this would work out. I am going for more throw than flood though.
Thanks

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
they're usually called optics, not reflectors.

that specific optic looks rather floody.

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
I know leds project light forward, but how do reflectors such as this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1916 project the light, would it not just "leak" through the sides? How well would this throw with Cree R2s(approximate distance)? Also, is this is a TIR lens, I have seen that term thrown around.

Thanks

To the best of my experience, a lights "reflector" wont change the "throw" or the direct intensity of the beam of the light but will influence the surrounding glow around the beam itself. I have several lights with what is called an "orange peel" reflector and the pattern around the direct beam is more free of rings and distortions with this kind of reflector.

Unlike incandescent lights, an LED light's beam is mostly straight forward, out the front of the solid state emitter of the LED - an incandescent bulb light, however, shines all around and is therefore is more dependent on a reflector for it's forward beam.

Thehappyman

gyani

Newly Enlightened
did you read the reviews? it clearly says what type of beam it has.

I did read the reviews, but it seems as if the reviewers were not able to give any specifics just general statements.
Thanks for the info guys.