Fenix PD20 as upgrade to P2DCE premium?

Streak

Enlightened
I'll be visiting the USA soon and thought it's time to get another light at a decent price.

I EDC the P2DCE Q5 and it's just perfect for my needs. Programmed to come on in dim mode and then with all the other modes as and when needed. Carried in a rip-off pouch large enough to carry a spare battery as well.

The specs. on the PD20 show it to be brighter (190 vs 135 lumens) but besides that not much else over the P2D.
Would the extra 55 lumens be that noticeable making the "upgrade" worthwhile?

The Quark 123 R5 looks good and is supposedly brighter but I can get the PD20 for less than the price of the Quark.

Any suggestions?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P2D Q5 is rated at 180 lumens, not 135. The original P2D was 135. If you have a P2D Q5, you aren't going to notice a 10 lumen difference. Fenix seems to be changing the threads on their lights so the newer PD20 probably won't work with the L2D or L1D body tubes like the P2D Q5 (with the L series tailcap, of course). Personally, I prefer the settings and runtimes on the P2D Q5 compared to the newer PD20s. If you have the old P2D which is 135 lumens, it might be worth the upgrade, but you may want to check out the more efficient and brighter Quarks from 4sevens before making your decision.

Streak

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.
Mine is the Q5 premium, thanks for correcting me on the output. I guess I will need to wait for the next generation of LED's to get an order of magnitude difference in output.

The Quarks look interesting with the the 123 R5 at 206 OTF. However I wonder how much actual difference there would be between the Quark and the Fenix if they were tested using the same method?

Flic

Enlightened
The P2D Q5 is rated at 180 lumens, not 135. The original P2D was 135. If you have a P2D Q5, you aren't going to notice a 10 lumen difference. Fenix seems to be changing the threads on their lights so the newer PD20 probably won't work with the L2D or L1D body tubes like the P2D Q5 (with the L series tailcap, of course). Personally, I prefer the settings and runtimes on the P2D Q5 compared to the newer PD20s. If you have the old P2D which is 135 lumens, it might be worth the upgrade, but you may want to check out the more efficient and brighter Quarks from 4sevens before making your decision.

Agreed on all counts.

Flic

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.
Mine is the Q5 premium, thanks for correcting me on the output. I guess I will need to wait for the next generation of LED's to get an order of magnitude difference in output.

The Quarks look interesting with the the 123 R5 at 206 OTF. However I wonder how much actual difference there would be between the Quark and the Fenix if they were tested using the same method?

The Quark is a far more interesting upgrade. It features a Moon Mode and even the low is lower than the Fenix. The R5 also puts out a LOT of light. You will notice the difference way more than a P2D Q5 to PD20 comparison. And it gives you an excuse to buy another light.

FYI I still carry a Fenix P2D Rb100, but a Quark 123 has joined it in the rotation.