Changed LED in LS, now output of a 5mm LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I changed the LED in my Arc LS (it was too blue), but when I hooked the new LED up, I had power problems. I wasn't happy with the new LED either, so I put the old one back in, and now I have what seems to be moon mode all the time, with a relatively fresh battery. What could I have done to cause this problem? All I did was desolder the leads and reattach later. Are the LS boards especially delicate? What do I do now?

bj

Newly Enlightened
If you sem to be getting moon mode all the time, you could have done something to load the battery. Probably not a dead short, as you're getting some light. Are the rest of the electronics still potted? If so, probably nothing there got physically shifted. Did you overdo with the heat? Could have damaged a component on the board, causing excessive current draw.

Check the obvious stuff first, no extra blobs of solder, bridges to the case, that kind of thing. Does it get hot? If you're drawing a relatively fresh battery down to the level where the electronics would go into moon mode, something should be heating up.

That's where I'd start, good luck and keep us posted.

bj

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
If some of the componets were damaged due to overheating during soldering, would it just not work at all? I don't think it got very hot when soldering. I was able to hold it in my hand during the process. No solder seems to be out of place. I'm stumped as to what to do next. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a test you could measure the voltage across the sense resistor while it is operating. Nominally this should read 50mV. If low, the problem is with the module, if normal then the problem is with the LED itself.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe my tester has the ability to measure in the mV's, it's not that good of one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I worked on the Arc LS a bit more this afternoon and was able to get it working like it had before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Oh well, hopefully it will continue to function properly. . . . . . until I get a whiter LED and try it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.