How to distinguish between an R2 and R5 Quark 123?

ZoomFlight15

Newly Enlightened
Hello All.

Is there any way to tell whether a Quark 123 is an R2 or R5, other than the sticker on the box?

Are there any markings anywhere on the unit itself?

I recently acquired what is supposed to be an R5, and I just want to confirm that it is, in fact, what it's supposed to be.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Take a close look at the LED. The XP-G emitters in the R5 model are made up of four yellow bars, whereas the XP-Es in the R2 have only three.

There is a link to a good review of the Quark 123 here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/264075

If you follow the link at the top of the first post, you'll get to the review: there is a close-up of the emitter about half-way down the page in this review, and you should be able to make out the four bars. If yours looks like the one there, you have the R5 version.

Another good place to start with questions like this is the manufacturer themselves: You can download the data sheet for the XP-G LED from Cree's own website here:

http://www.cree.com/products/xlamp_xpg.asp

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
You're welcome - but please don't keep us in suspense . . .

. . . which one do you have after all ?

ZoomFlight15

Newly Enlightened
Oops, sorry. :)

I have an R5.

I had ordered an R5 from 4Sevens.ca, but when i got it, the box was previously opened.

The only lights i could compare it to were a Fenix PD20 and PD30 (older versions) and it didn't seem that much brighter than either of them.

After a bit more usage, i do notice it has a wider hotspot and spill, which probably makes up the higher lumen rating.

I just wanted to ensure that I truly got what I had ordered.

Thanks to this thread, this flashlight padawan is a little wiser! :)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Excellent - glad to hear it turned out that you had the right one.

The broad hotspot that you get with the XP-Gs is indeed very useful. I'm extremely pleased with the beam from my Preon for the same reason.