Quark 123 questions

Oldspook

Newly Enlightened
I am about to purchase a Quark 123 but an undecided which one to choose.

I have heard that the clip makes it harder to change the battery and could mark up the finish and it is not that useful. Is this true or false?

I've read many reviews that the R5 123's are always have a green tint. This would be very annoying for me. There still some R2 123's available, do these have a white tint or are they green also?

TIA,
Oldspook

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are worried about even the slightest green tint I would suggest the XP-E R2. You may get a slight bit of green tint in the lower output levels of the Quark XP-G R5, it's not that bad but if your already worried about it go with a R2 model. Their is no guarantee of a great tint with the XP-E R2 either but I believe the chances are better with the R2 vs. the R5 to get a nicer tint, if nicer to you is cool white to just cool.

I wouldn't worry about scratching the finish while changing batterys you can manipulate the clip so it doesn't touch the body while unscrewing the head/tail.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
The XP-Gs don't always have a green tint, some did when they first started shipping but supposedly the chances are very low by now. I wouldn't worry about it, order an XP-G - you can work something out with 4sevens or sell it on CPFM if it turns out to be green :)

carrot

Flashaholic
I have seen over a dozen of XP-G R5 Quarks, and they are all fine with a very white tint.

I do not like the clip on the 123 model. However, it is my only complaint with anotherwise great light. While I believe a clip is essential on most lights I think the clipless 123 is a better choice.

Oldspook

Newly Enlightened
Thanks you all for the information. I ended up ordering my second choice, Fenix PD20+. I had a $100 gift certificate and they didn't have the noclip Quark 123 so I went with the Fenix.

I can't wait for it to be delivered tomorrow.

Oldspook

blub

Enlightened
You could add an EX10 clip but you have to drill a small hole. I did it to this one and used my grinder with a scotchbrite belt to un-shiny the body.
Quark123.jpg

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I've put Nitecore D10 clips on a bunch of my Quarks and they work a heap better for me than the original Quark clips, especially on the littlies like the 123 and AA.