Two nice NiteCore's

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently got two new lights from lightjunction.com to add to my large and growing collection. The only NiteCore I have had up to this point is the NDI Q5 that I got a couple of years ago. I like it a lot and have carried that ever since I got it. I have been getting a lot of JETBeams this past year(which I also love btw), and decided to try a couple of new NiteCore's.

The first one is the D20 R2. I have never been much in to 2xAA lights, but I really like this one. The build quality, fit and finish are second to none. The UI on this thing is just phenomenal. The PD switch coupled with the instant high and low and ramp up or down to anywhere in between is just frigging awesome. I wish the EX10 still had this UI. I would jump on it in a heartbeat. The beam is nice and bright, and just as smooth as silk. I am using the new LSD Duracell NiMH 2000mAh batteries, and the thing is a champ. Adding this light to my EDC lineup is a no brainer. I am really happy I decided to try this one.

The second one I got I really like a lot as well. It is the EZ CR2 R2, and boy does this little thing speak big. This is my first CR2 light, and I just cannot believe the performance of this tiny light. It is about the same length as my Quark mini 123 but a lot thinner. It also looks to put out almost as much light as the mini. The build, fit and finish are top notch on this one as well. The drop dead simple UI is great. This one is another keeper that I have also added to my EDC line up. The only thing I need for it are some good lithium rechargebles. I cannot decide between the 300mAh cells at Lighthound.com or the 600mAh cells at GoingGear.com. The one's at lighthound come with magnetic spacers for charging, but the one's at goinggear are higher capacity. I wish AW still made protected CR2's. Anyway, below are a few pictures of the new lights. If anyone who has these lights would like to chime in on their experience....please feel free. I would love to hear anything I can from others who own these.

Sam_0633.jpg

Sam_0631.jpg

Sam_0629.jpg

Sam_0628.jpg

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Congrats - the D20 is indeed a really nice light. For some reason the piston drive just seems to work smoother than on the smaller ones, which can sometimes be a bit stiff to operate.

You might be interested to know that the Surefire filters and diffuser (I have an F05 red filter and the F04 diffuser for mine) are a good fit on the D20, making it an even more useful and versatile light. I suspect you might have a couple of those lying around.

Good choice - I think you'll use it a lot !

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using my EX10 for a long time as my EDC and having the EZ CR2 on my keychain I really like this two lights. I'm really thinking of buying the D20 ;).

rayman

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice choices. I like the EZ series, very easy UI which allows me to gain access to instant hi or low. D20 could very well be the toughest 2xAA lights I've come across. And the PD is surprisingly easier to operate than some D10. :thinking:

Well, you can still get EX10 with the previous ramping UI, available with Q5 or R2. Ebay or from Hong Kong online dealers. If not, ask US dealers if they're willing to bring some in.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
Nice choices. I like the EZ series, very easy UI which allows me to gain access to instant hi or low. D20 could very well be the toughest 2xAA lights I've come across. And the PD is surprisingly easier to operate than some D10. :thinking:

Well, you can still get EX10 with the previous ramping UI, available with Q5 or R2. Ebay or from Hong Kong online dealers. If not, ask US dealers if they're willing to bring some in.
really? I thought it was mentioned that the D20's piston was harder to use than the D10s...

nice lights nonetheless, D20 looks great!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got high praise for the EZ CR2 light as well. I have the warm version and it runs just peachy on RCR cells too. Don't know why they don't have the warm version still. Fit and finish are great and I got blessed to get a couple during the 50% off sale awhile back. I have always liked the CR2 format, I hope AW can get some cells made soon.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
really? I thought it was mentioned that the D20's piston was harder to use than the D10s...

I don't have the D10 or EX10 to compare it to, but I have no difficulty whatsoever operating the piston on my D20. There is resistance there, but seems pretty smooth and easy to me.

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my D20. Only had it for a week and it's already my favourite light. Looks so lovely and that UI is the bomb!

Will be getting more Nitecore gear very soon.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Thanks bondr006! You made me remember how much I wanted this light! I went on lightjunction and ordered it. I've recently gone on a 2xAA kick and totally forgot that the D20 was on my short list once upon a time. I usually holster carry these slightly larger lights. Anyone know if they fit Quark 2xAA holsters well? I guess I'll find out for myself soon! :twothumbs

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
I love the EZ CR2 also. I'm partial to the 123 format, so in a smaller light CR2 seems ideal in my view. Mine was pretty stiff to twist, but has loosened up a little. I can go from off to low and low to high one handed, but can't go from off to high one handed without staging it first.

I remember reading a thread about trimming some of the foam to make it easier to turn, but I don't know that it's really very important. I'll take too tight over too loose any time. ;)