eagle p100 a2 waterproof?

american

Enlightened
i just got one, it seems very nice. has anyone dunked it and checked to see if it was dry inside? ive seen a video on youtube, but the person never opened it up to check.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
I believe it is has an IPX8 rating. So it should be dunkable. Someone did have a failure of the front window o-ring when they put the light in a glass of water but I think that was pretty unusual. My opinion is that most quality and well-designed aluminum o-ring sealed lights these days are actually underrated when it comes to water resistance.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Waterproof would be you can submerge the light for extended periods and possibly subject it to dynamic water pressure, i.e. the water or the light is moving around. Dunk-able would be if you drop it in a puddle, then take it out immediately and dry it off.

american

Enlightened
what about a sink full of 6 inches of water? i have done this with mini mags and a garity led when i was bored they came out safely after leaving them for a few mins

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most lights will handle being submerged in a foot of water with no problem. The weak link is the front lens. If it's a clicky and the front lens doesn't leak in a few feet of water then getting a lot deeper will likely involve the clicky leaking as well as the front lens.

If it's a twisty then the front lens will remain the weak link. Especially if there is no sealing o-ring behind the lens resting on a ledge to allow it to compress.

If it has a solid tail cap and it does have a proper o-ring design for the lens it's quite easy to make a light so that it will go to depths greater than 100 feet.

Last edited:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
I think a tail-switch clicky is fine if tightened properly. For example, Quark AA^2 and Fenix TA21 I know have been taken down and used at depths of around 25 feet. Both have clicky switches.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a tail-switch clicky is fine if tightened properly. For example, Quark AA^2 and Fenix TA21 I know have been taken down and used at depths of around 25 feet. Both have clicky switches.

I'm guessing they would have problems by 100 feet. That 4 atmospheres.The spring gets depressed and water gets in.

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Hi guys,
The P100A2 did alright at the SHOT Show in a fish tank. Never seemed to get wet inside.
EagleTac says it's waterproof to 3 meters or about 15 feet. When someone asks me how waterproof they are I say "Feel comfortable using it all day in the rain and if you drop it in a puddle or even a small stream, no worries, but don't take it diving, it's not a dive light".

It's always a good idea to make sure your o-rings are wet with a good quality lube.

Notice the goldfish at the bottom? :crackup:
EagleTac P100A2 fish tank.jpg