Flashlights not on TSA flight list!!

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not likely to be either. The FAA requires flashlights to be on board, and be readily available for use (i.e. they may not be locked up, or hidden). You will find several on every aircraft in plain sight, no locks, just grab them out of the holder.

Consequently banning them would be an utterly pointless exercise, since they are already on board, and NOT securred.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
mattheww50 said:
Not likely to be either. The FAA requires flashlights to be on board, and be readily available for use (i.e. they may not be locked up, or hidden). You will find several on every aircraft in plain sight, no locks, just grab them out of the holder.

Consequently banning them would be an utterly pointless exercise, since they are already on board, and NOT securred.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Any idea where they are kept?

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned
BUT since they are not on The List the zombies at the security checkpoints have total and complete say as to which ones they can take home with them, uh, I mean which ones they can deny you carrying onboard ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

T_sig6.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
BUT since they are not on The List the zombies at the security checkpoints have total and complete say as to which ones they can take home with them, uh, I mean which ones they can deny you carrying onboard ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

T_sig6.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. It's a little puzzling why they're not on the list.

BN

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they want to leave flashlights in a gray area. Many flashlights have weaponlike features, so the authority to stop those is something they don't want to lose by putting "flashlights" on an approved list.

I have boarded with a miniMag many times lately with no second glances. I doubt I could get my 6-D Mag on board.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you imagine the fervor if you carried a TL with OC into a flight? They'd jump you in no time...

I can see some reason as to why flashlights aren't included in an exclusion list... Some lights can be designed as weapons (batonlights or stun-guns, etc)...

Catapult

Enlightened
Sometimes, it could just be the labeling of the flashlight that makes it "threatening". Imagine carrying a MiniMag and a Streamlight Batonlight to a flight. The MiniMag is bigger. The MiniMag is heavier. The MiniMag hits harder. The Batonlight just has the words Batonlight on it. Guess which one is more likely to be denied?

Than again, the Batonlight is designed for self defense. But it would be unlikely for the gaurd to know what it really is until the name pops up anyway.

gyverpete

Enlightened
Is it possible that flashlights were not listed because they're not even considered questionable, let alone prohibited?
The list contains items that are: weapons, potential weapons, explosive/flammable, and electronic devices. Flashlights, at least small ones, are sort of ineffective as weapons and are thus benign. Their only purpose is for illumination and signalling. And any regulated lights are probably not strong enough to cause radio interference.

However, a 6D Mag or similar "club" sized light, or one that has OC spray, stun, etc. could be denied because it is a potential weapon. That's understandable. Problem is, where do they draw the line on size allowed? Canes and umbrellas are potential weapons, yet they're allowed.

I do wish they had put flashlights on the list as "allowed", since anything not on the list is open to interpretation and could be denied at the guard's whim. However, the list cannot include EVERY item.

Best thing to do is keep your carry-on flashlights to a minimum. 1 or 2 SMALL lights shouldn't cause a problem. Leave the larger lights at home or in checked baggage. Chances are your not even going to be using you light on board unless something bad happens. And maybe not even then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
What about the shoe bomber - he reputedly had enough explosive in his shoes to bring the flight down. I guess crooks arent as smart as me - and cant think of packing explosive in a small space like a light. One could even have small watch batts to light a real bulb to "prove" its not a bomb. And what about a gun made to look like a flashlight? You could remove the front or rear to expose the barrel. Then in a padded hand shoot someone without hurting your hand. Even the gun barrel could be made of plastic. At fmr work, we had plastics that would withstand 30,000 psi. Good enough for one or two shots before melt down.

Good thing I'm not a criminal - and I cant fly - not enough feathers.
<font color="blue">--Ðøug
Smilieonandoff.gif
</font> 2003.7.24.0.15.15 PT

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why security personel should do both of the following, have you remove the battery to show them the empty light, and x-ray it first. Yes, x-rays will penetrate metal objects, I know this from experience. I've seen the batteries inside my Surefires, and the three shafts inside ASP and Monadnock expandable batons.