Flashlight and battery advice for non-flashaholic

JP987

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm hoping you all can help me with some flashlight advice. I'm not a flashaholic, but I do like a quality flashlight for some routine tasks at dark around the house, etc. which I use daily. I currently have a Surefire Aviator that I've owned for a few years, and I really like it but I'm spending way more on batteries than I can justify for what I use it for. I am currently buying my batteries from Surefire in 20 packs(?).

I'm thinking one of the two following options would make sense for me to save some money. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this and any other similar suggestions anyone can offer.

Option 1: Buy some rechargeable CR123 batteries and charger. I don't know if these even exist (I assume so), and if there would be any reduction in performance. A minor reduction in light output would be fine with me if I can save money in the long run on batteries, because absolute output is just not that important in the light's current role.

Option 2: Buy one of the newer lower priced AA LED lights that are on the market for daily 'around the house' use and reserve use of the Surefire for more 'bump in the night' duty. I was looking at the Quark Mini AA and/or one of the Maratac lights. It seems these newer lights put out lots of light, are not that expensive, and 'should' save me money in the long run on batteries over the 123's that I'm currently using. I even have some AA rechargeables laying around from an old digital camera that I could use...

I'd appreciate any advice on the best course of action based upon general overall usability, performance, and savings on batteries.

Thanks!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the second option, along with some Eneloop or Duraloop rechargeables. You can use alkaline or NiMH for everyday use, or you can put some Enerigizer Lithium primaries in it for emergency use (those are a bit more expensive, around $1.25 or so each).

Besides, you'll have another light. :thumbsup:

McAllan

Enlightened
:welcome:

Agree go with option two. There are rechargeable CR123A but it's a jungle to navigate in. You just can't assume that a light which takes CR123A non rechargeable will work great with rechargeable CR123A. As a matter of fact things can go quite wrong.

If you have the feeling your old cells and charger isn't quite up to date then get some LSD (low self discharge) cells and a good charger. A biot of search the CPF should give you a really good idea what cells and charger to get ;)

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiFePO4 cells work well in the Aviator, but runtime on high suffers badly.

Once LED-ring upgrades finally hit the market, any rechargeable lithium batteries will work without burning out the LEDs.

What do you use the Aviator for, by the way?

joe1512

Enlightened
Rechargable CR123s exist, but they typically have a voltage of up to 4.2 Volts, vs the 3.0 volts of a normal primary CR123. There are 3.0Volt rechargables too, but Id avoid them.

Therefore, some lights will be unable to use the RCR123s. This includes your Aviator which has an input voltage of 4.5V to 6.0 Volts from what I found.

Ya know, that Aviator is an old light and only hits 50 lumens. 120 if you have the Aviator A2L.

If I were you, Id consider selling the Aviator. It apparently costs a fortune and you can recoup much of it by selling on the marketplace here.

------Now you have 2 main options:

Then, you can go buy some "Protected RCR123s", or 16340s as they are sometimes called (16mm by 34mm, which is CR123 size).
Buy a WF139 charger and an aluminum spacer to be able to charge them.

You can use these 2 CR123s in a variety of flashlights. The itp SC2 2xCR123 is a good choice. Its 40 bucks, can use RCR123s, has infinite beam adjustment (brightness), cranks up to 220 lumens, and has several predefined modes.
But there are several choices for you to pick from, depending on need/wants. Just make sure they specifically say they can use RCR123s.

I like this option because you can use CR123s in a pinch, and could have a pair of backup batteries laying in your car or if you go camping, etc.

============
An alternative plan is to get a 2xAA light, and use Sanyo Eneloops. On amazon theres a pack of 8xAA, 2xAAA, and a charger for around 30 bucks.

This is nice because you can use the extra AA,AAAs around the house! They also keep their charge for a long long time.

For the actual flashlight, there are several 2xAAs to choose from.

OR, if you want a stronger light, consider an itp A6 Polestar (700 lumens max!) which uses 6xAAs with multiple modes for 80 bucks.
The TK40 is a more luxurious choice with more throw and 8xAA battery usage, with better build quality for 140 bucks.

If it is going to be used around the house or taken on a trip, I'd take the high-powered option. Even with 6xAAs, my Polestar is not very heavy at all. If you are carrying everyday, you'd want a 1xAA or 2xAA option.

============
There are other options, but I think these are the 2 simplest.

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Option 2: Buy a Quark AA2 R5 tactical and Eneloop and you will use it for 'bump in the night' too.

JP987

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome and excellent suggestions! I will start reading up on some of these lights and rechargeable batteries that have been mentioned so far. How are the Battery Station batteries @ $1.30/ea? That might be an option too...offhand I'm not sure how much AA's cost at Wally World, but maybe it's not too much different. In my first post I said I was buying them in 20 packs from Surefire...that was incorrect, they are 12 packs and I think they run $20-30 or so with shipping which makes them maybe $2+ each.

I should have also mentioned that money is tight for me right now, so that's why I was looking at the Maratacs and Quark Mini, as they are under $50. It would be nice to also have something small enough to drop in the pocket, but that's not a necessity.

I was unable to locate the packaging from my Aviator, but on the body it says 'Digital Plus Series A2 Aviator' on one side, and 'Surefire A08188 (A08199?) on the other. I'd kinda like to keep it so I have an extra light on hand, and it was also my first/only quality flashlight that I've owned. As far as what I use it for, just stuff around the house like snooping around the backyard at night, looking in closets, the garage...that kind of stuff. I need/want a lot more light than a Maglite puts out, but I don't need the latest and greatest mega torch for my purposes.

Thanks again!

Ian2381

Enlightened
Quark MiNi AA ($39) or ITP A2($23) and Get a set of Eneloop AA's and a good charger and your all set.

If you have more money go for the Quark AA R5 edition($59) and you'll be much happier.

:welcome:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on any of the ITP range A1/A2 or A3 all 3 are belting lights and run on Alkis/Lithium and Eneloops.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
If you go with AA rechargables, you might want to look at Powergenix nickel-zinc and the 1-hour charger.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029NZVZ0/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I don't use lights so as to drain cells too fast, but I got that charger (don't get the other one which which do only 2 or 4 cells at a time) and a dozen cells, and they are working well so far -- and I like the somewhat higher voltage (1.6 voltsm as opposed to 1.5 for alkies and 1.2 for nicads or nimh)). I'm still waiting for them to make AAAs -- I hope it's soon.

It looks like the Aviator takes 2 123s, and there are more problems using 2 li-ions in series since the match may not be that good. If you go with rechargable 123s then I would go with Pila cells and charger.
But you can get more lumens from a cheap LED -- about 20 bucks for a Romisen RC-G2, and you can get a warm white too, from Shining Beam (and a CPF discount 'CPFuser'):
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/StoreFront -> http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-178/Romisen-RC-dsh-G2-II-WW/Detail

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Numerous threads/posts on the Lux V A2 working with up to 9 volts. It has a buck, voltage regulated circuit with a incandescent bulb that is rated at about 5 volts. Light output is the same with two RCR123's as with two CR123's. The added voltage may be a little hard on the three LEDs, which are driven direct drive with a resistor for each LED. Runtime will be shorter using two RCR123's. I have used RCR's in my A2 (now sold) with no adverse effects to my three red LEDs.

Bill

carrot

Flashaholic
Numerous threads/posts on the Lux V A2 working with up to 9 volts. It has a buck, voltage regulated circuit with a incandescent bulb that is rated at about 5 volts. Light output is the same with two RCR123's as with two CR123's. The added voltage may be a little hard on the three LEDs, which are driven direct drive with a resistor for each LED. Runtime will be shorter using two RCR123's. I have used RCR's in my A2 (now sold) with no adverse effects to my three red LEDs.

Bill
What he said. Except I'm not too sure about the LuxV part. Your A2 will run fine on rechargeables. Be choosy when buying, because not all RCR123's will fit. There are several threads already reporting which batteries will properly fit the A2. In case you are considering using 17670, don't. The regulator is said not to fire up on that low a voltage (4.2).

You can also buy regular CR123's from Lighthound for about 2/3 of what you are paying now buying from Surefire. Surefire batteries are very good, but so are Duracell, Energizer, Streamlight, Panasonic, 4sevens, etc, and these are available from Lighthound. (Don't buy from eBay, only reliable and trusted dealers like Lighthound, Batterystation, 4sevens.) The more you buy at a time from Lighthound, the better pricing you get.

Don't bother selling the A2, that's a stupid idea because the A2 is a sweet, sweet light. One of my very first too.

Option 2 is also good, and allows you to check out some newer technology. Do keep in mind that if you go with AA batteries you'll need to pick up some NiMHs (Sanyo Eneloop brand) and a charger, because performance on alkalines on nearly every light sucks (with the strange and notable exception of the ICON Rogue).

You could also reconsider using CR123 batteries with your new light, as the Quark 123^2 Tactical can be programmed to use level 4 as its high mode, which will run for nearly 8 hours (as measured by Selfbuilt) and still brighter than the A2's high mode. Low mode can be programmed to anything as well but I suggest level 1 or level 2 which will get you 30 or 4 straight days of runtime, and offers similar output to the A2's low mode.

You will spend far less money on batteries if you go with this route, and you won't have to bother with a charger.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
I had around the same idea as carrot when I read your thread. Since you're not a flashaholic (WHY!?), you can get 4Sevens or Energizers CR123 batteries for your A2. Since it served you for years, you shouldn't sell it, instead keep that Surefire beauty. Because if you do sell it, you'll notice a part of you is missing (forever).

With the same batteries, I'll also suggest the Quark 123^2 Tactical. You'll have plenty of runtime on 'Low', and occasionally on 'high' checking out bumps in the night. You'll find yourself saving and spending less with cheaper reliable batteries and your stock will last you much longer than before.

Unless... you crossed over and realise that 170 lumens is the only mode you need. :huh: :D just kiddin..

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I reckon you should buy a single AA torch plus some rechargeable AA batteries and a charger. You'll have a nice torch and never buy a battery again.

If you like the head twisting on/off switch then go for the ITP A2 from Shiningbeam, if you like the tailcap pushbutton go for the Quark AA from 4sevens, the Nitecore D10 or any one of a dozen other AA toys.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do not plan on the around the house light doing double duty as a pocketable EDC go for the 2AA versions. They are a lot easier to hold than the 1AA versions.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
The option that gets you another light is always the right option. lovecpf

If it were me, i'd go for option #2. :twothumbs

JP987

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all of the great input! This is getting a little overwhelming with all of the different options.

I think I am down to buying a new AA light of some kind, and I'm trying to decide between single AA and 2AA, and also on which brand of light to go with. How do the Romisen lights mentioned above compare to the Quarks as far as quality, output, and runtime? Also, how do the Eneloop batteries compare to the Powergenix batteries? They seem to be roughly the same price w/ charger on Amazon.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again for all of the great input! This is getting a little overwhelming with all of the different options.

I think I am down to buying a new AA light of some kind, and I'm trying to decide between single AA and 2AA, and also on which brand of light to go with. How do the Romisen lights mentioned above compare to the Quarks as far as quality, output, and runtime? Also, how do the Eneloop batteries compare to the Powergenix batteries? They seem to be roughly the same price w/ charger on Amazon.

It all depends on your needs, wants and potential uses of the light, 1xAA would be more pocketable so you'd have a light on you at all times but it's easier to misplace a 1xAA than a 2xAA.

2xAA would be brighter and have longer runtimes than a 1xAA, would be harder to misplace but not as pocketable (not that much of an issue if you decide to holster the light though)

I'm going to humbly suggest taking a look at the Romisen RC N3 II Neutral White from shiningbeam, it can run off 1xCR/RCR123 or 2xAA (though 1xRCR123 isnt recommended) and the neutral white beam is nice too. 2 modes so you can balance runtime and output and it isnt expensive so it wont break the bank. ("CPFuser" is the discount code).

pwatcher

Enlightened
re getting overwhelmed, I hear you!

lots of different opinions and favorites on this site, so your best bet is to be as specific as you can about what you like in terms of size, budget, brightness, and quality.

please, please, please do not sell your Aviator! it is destined to remain a classic, and I can almost promise you that you would eventually regret the day you sold it.

BatteryStation cr123a cells are excellent - they have been made in U.S.A. for some time now, and I use them with confidence in any of my lights.

Since your A2 already uses cr123a's, let me suggest you stay with that size and type for now, since you mentioned a tight budget.

get an inexpensive, single cr123a led, pocketable light for edc and longer runtime than the incan bulb on your A2. buy from marketplace here to save 1/3 to 1/2 over the price new from a dealer.

I got Fenix p1dce on cpfmp for $35 not so long ago, and a NIB Olight T-10 for even less. send me a pm if you want to talk about them!

Until you are ready to immerse yourself in this hobby, I'd suggest starting very slow and just solving your immediate problem, which sounds like battery expense! No need to get into rechargeables right now - that's another learning curve and investment in equipment. And rechargeables eventually need replacing too, and for more than a $1.25 each!

good luck!