Arc6 defective???

SFfanman

Enlightened
After waiting some 3 weeks for my Arc6 to arrive, it finally came. Awesome little pocket rocket was my first impression. Totally stoked to break this little guy in but when I wanted to take advantage of all its features, I was left behind in the dust. I can access the low-low and the high but not the virtual stage. When I try to program it, I am left with: twist, level one, click on and off: sticks on level high (instead of on and off high flashing for 10 times). I thought it might be excess lube so I wiped most clean on the piston and still the same. Is there anything an amateur flashaholic can do (ie: remove spring or cut spring) to make the piston engage and disengage as normal OR is the problem something else and I need to send it back to Arc? Anyone run into the same situation?

Per-Sev

Enlightened
Wow, after all that waiting and now your light does not work right. I know you hate to have to send it back but since there is a lifetime warranty then I would just send it back, but make sure you send it with a delivery confirmation or a signature required so you know they got it. I hope this is not a bad omen mine is due tomorrow. Good luck with your light I hope its something simple that the smart people on here can figure out for you. One more thing there is a 30 day inspection period also so you can get you money back also. If my light does not work right after all this aggravation I will just return it and buy a McGizmo how much more crap can you take.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Sorry to hear of the problem. I would call first, and have them send you a new one sent right away, no waiting. Just demand it. After that long wait, you deserve a new one, now.

I love my AAA Arc-Ps, however, I wanted to wait to see how this light would work in the hands of users.

Remember, there is always Surefire.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
It could be that the kilroy isn't bent high enough to help the light differentiate properly between the high and low. You might try bending the kilroy outwards very slightly.

SFfanman

Enlightened
Thanks guys for the awesome comments.

It could be that the kilroy isn't bent high enough to help the light differentiate properly between the high and low. You might try bending the kilroy outwards very slightly.

Yeah, I read about that. It looks like its already about 1/8 inch up. In the momentary push mode, it recognizes high and low fine. After 1 twist low mode is entered, but then a press instead of momentary high, then back to low, it just locks out on high so any subsequent presses result in nothing but constant high mode. Is there a normal height for the kilroy?

carrot

Flashaholic
There is no normal height for a kilroy, it is to be adjusted depending on the user. I find it strange that it sticks and am not able to reproduce this on the three of the PD lights I own. Your kilroy needs to stick out further than the metal contact ring surrounding it, it does not need to be substantial but it should definitely be higher than the contact ring.

The contact ring is used to select the high level, and the kilroy is the main electrical path, used for low and then again on high when the contact ring receives the "signal" for high.

SFfanman

Enlightened
There is no normal height for a kilroy, it is to be adjusted depending on the user. I find it strange that it sticks and am not able to reproduce this on the three of the PD lights I own. Your kilroy needs to stick out further than the metal contact ring surrounding it, it does not need to be substantial but it should definitely be higher than the contact ring.

The contact ring is used to select the high level, and the kilroy is the main electrical path, used for low and then again on high when the contact ring receives the "signal" for high.

Interesting, the kilroy does stick out a little past the contact ring. However, there are two points on the contact ring opposite each other and about 90 degrees from the kilroy. These points just look like little patches of excess solder. Should the contact ring be perfectly smooth all the way around or does it matter? Thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
The contact ring *should* be smooth but on my Arc6 it is not. It should not affect the action of the light adversely but you may find that if the kilroy is higher that the problem may cease to happen?

The only way the Arc would "stick" on high is faulty programming or mechanical. I'd be first inclined to believe mechanical before faulty programming...

SFfanman

Enlightened
Well, I took some pliers and propped up the kilroy a little higher so that it is definitely above the ring. Yet still no change. How about the nob in the middle? Should it be protruding slightly higher than the ring? Mine is ever so slightly higher or maybe just about the same height. :thinking: I even wonder if I should remove ALL of the grease along the piston and tube. But then the friction wouldn't be at a good level.

faco

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your problem especially after a long wait. I have been waiting for my Arc6 delivery to Australia for 5 weeks now and haven't received it yet. I sent them 2 emails within the last 10 days with NO REPLY, I just wanted to know if they sent it yet.
I'm normally a patient person but am really worried that I wont get it, and if I do it probably wont work.

Maybe its going via Mars to Australia ? I had a watch sent from Japan by mistake to France and the seller notified me (apologised) and said the other person will send it back to Japan and he will then send it to me here in Australia. I got it within 3 weeks. I made the seller feel good by saying not to worry.

I have ordered online in the last month at least a dozen products from all over the world, every product arrives within 1 week.

Sorry to steal your thread and hope it all works out for you, and me :mecry:

keriya

Newly Enlightened
Hi SFfanman,

I'm sorry to hear of your problem. The height of the nob in the middle should not matter. It's the contact for the positive battery terminal, and the battery is always pushed toward the nob by the spring in the tailcap.

SFfanman

Enlightened
Thanks Keriya for the info. That was my thinking also.

Faco, I hope you receive yours as well. Maybe you should give them a call via their phone number on the website to find out what's going on. There is another thread going that might be of interest to you titled "Ordered an Arc6 Yesterday".

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I am not sure if this would make a difference but I got my light today and could not program it because the Duracell 123 battery they supplied was no good I put the RCR in and it worked fine. Just thought I would pass that on. Good Luck

SFfanman

Enlightened
Kgp - pm replied. :rolleyes:

Per-serv - Did the light turn on and work at all with the supplied Duracell? Mine works fine, I just am unable to program it in any of the levels. :sigh: Don't have an RCR123 to test.

Per-Sev

Enlightened
Kgp - pm replied. :rolleyes:

Per-serv - Did the light turn on and work at all with the supplied Duracell? Mine works fine, I just am unable to program it in any of the levels. :sigh: Don't have an RCR123 to test.
It worked for a few minutes then it was dead, I put the RCR in and its been working every since. When you twist it to low and push the tail cap hard ten times within 10sec does it blink 3 times after that. It all must be done within 10sec or you have to start over. I still am having some problems programing stage 3 but I will figure it out.

SFfanman

Enlightened
Glad yours is working, although it should run on primaries also. I would get that verified if it was me. Your lucking you can program yours, I'd give anything to see those three flashes and even the ten clicks! :mecry:

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
It worked for a few minutes then it was dead, I put the RCR in and its been working every since. When you twist it to low and push the tail cap hard ten times within 10sec does it blink 3 times after that. It all must be done within 10sec or you have to start over. I still am having some problems programing stage 3 but I will figure it out.

Per-sev

setting one is twisting until the light turns on, setting two is twisting it from setting one two the next brightness, setting three is twisting it stright from off to fully tight, it will by pass level one and two and give you the third setting. You have to twist it fast.

Per-Sev

Enlightened
Glad yours is working, although it should run on primaries also. I would get that verified if it was me. Your lucking you can program yours, I'd give anything to see those three flashes and even the ten clicks! :mecry:
That to bad, I am sure mine will run on primaries but the one they sent me went dead while I was using it in about 5min. So I am pretty sure its the battery. I just figured out the programing and it was so easy that I must be stupid or something just had to read the instructions once more. I would just call Maria up and have her send you a new sleeve if that's all you think it is. I would hope she would take care of you like she did me.

Per-Sev

Enlightened
Per-sev

setting one is twisting until the light turns on, setting two is twisting it from setting one two the next brightness, setting three is twisting it stright from off to fully tight, it will by pass level one and two and give you the third setting. You have to twist it fast.
Thanks I did not know you could get to stage 3 that way. I got it now all 3 programed. Thanks