Brightness of MadMax Plus Q3 vs. standard?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was all set to buy a MadMax Plus drop-in module for my 1AA Mini-MiniMag (MMM). I was thinking of going with the Q3 version, but it's been out of stock for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif How much brighter is the Q3 as opposed to the standard MadMax Plus module? Is it worth waiting for a Q3, or should I just go ahead and get the standard module instead?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd wait Spitman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. It is much brighter with the Q3!!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd second waiting for the Q3, as you'll more than likely get a whiter and brighter LS with it...

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I was wondering this too--I'm waiting on a MMM myself and had been debating what to put in it. Looks like I'll play the waiting game as well.

Raindrop

Enlightened
I have bought two of the Mad Max Plus with the standard Luxeon to use in my Mini MiniMag lights from Roth. The last one that came about a week ago says that it is running at 800mAh now and for my use it is plenty bright. I have Q3 BadBoys in a couple of regular Mini Mags and while slightly whiter, I don't feel bad about the standard where I am using it. That being said I don't have the Q3 MadMax to compare it to and if this is going to be your only one you probably should wait. Then again, that's always an excuse to buy another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should build one with the R2H. It is the perfect combination with a Mini-Mini-Mag, due to it's low forward voltage.

You are going to have a loss in brilliance from running the MadMax on one cell, if you don't mind the work & extra expense, you can regain that brilliance with an R2H.

I have two MadMax+ Q3Ls. They are quite violet, more like a Q5L. With one alkaline in my M³/MadMax+ R2H, and two alkalines in a two cell Mini-Mag/MadMax+ Q3L, the M³ is brighter.

It is a remarkable combination. And in addition, it is focusable, with very little artifacts, and is the whitest one watt luxeon I have.

Rothrandir has one of these, as well.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the only madmax i have is a madmax+r2h, built by the man himself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i find it more than useful in a mmm. it's kind of scary to have that much light coming from such a small source.

shankus...have you tried it with lithiums yet?
i think you will find it to be brighter...

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
You should build one with the R2H. It is the perfect combination with a Mini-Mini-Mag, due to it's low forward voltage.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I buy an R2H and a MM+ board? How much assembly is involved? I'd like to believe I could do this but admittedly am not the world's greatest solderer, nor do I have the appropriate epoxy, heatsink, etc. What's involved in terms of parts and steps to get the job done?

hideo

Enlightened
dumb question-- has anyone tried swapping emitters on a regular BB or MM module--I can't tell from the pics on the anlighten site if there is more there than just solder holding the LS on ...

given the $15 odd dollar diff between the regular and Q3 upgrade, you could play the grab bag lotttery and change the LS out if you lost ...

hideo

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the one I did, I put an R2H on a pre-assembled MadMax sandwich, with some heatsink grease underneath.

I see that there are all the parts on the site, though. There is the MadMax board, the emitter board, and the luxeon.

If you have a small enough solding iron and a steady hand, the soldering isn't much of a problem. A magnifiying visor helps, as well.