Modding an SF Saint?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've opened a Minimus but have some bad news to report: it's not for the faint of heart, and it's likely you'll both compromise the waterproofness of the light, and risk ripping the metal ring and dome off the stock Cree XR-E. It's not a particularly mod-friendly host.

grnamin

Enlightened
Thank you! I was in the process of opening mine when I realized completely opening the head would have been too destructive and irreversible.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't have time to take any photos for at least a few days... if I have a spare moment after that, I'll try to snap a few.

yowzer

Enlightened
I've opened a Minimus but have some bad news to report: it's not for the faint of heart, and it's likely you'll both compromise the waterproofness of the light, and risk ripping the metal ring and dome off the stock Cree XR-E. It's not a particularly mod-friendly host.

Huh. I would have bet the Saint/Minimus used a SSC P4, based on what little I could make out of the LED through the optic.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh. I would have bet the Saint/Minimus used a SSC P4, based on what little I could make out of the LED through the optic.

Not the one I opened. It was a Cree XR-E. Note that the actual die itself (the light-producing element, square, yellowish in color) is exactly the same in the Seoul P4 and the Cree XR-E... Seoul Semiconductor buys their dice from Cree.

yowzer

Enlightened
Not the one I opened. It was a Cree XR-E. Note that the actual die itself (the light-producing element, square, yellowish in color) is exactly the same in the Seoul P4 and the Cree XR-E... Seoul Semiconductor buys their dice from Cree.

Didn't know that either. I've never done a side-by-side comparison (Don't own any SSC-powered lights), but always had the impression that the die on the P4 was bigger. Learn something new every day...