Newbie needs some help

holdthat1

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I recently started to tinker with led lights and decided to make a flashlight. I have a good idea how to wire the led's but I'm still kinda of lost. So i purchased two of these http://ledsupply.com/07007-pw750-n.php and one http://ledsupply.com/03023-d-n-700.php. My question is, if I wire the led's in series will each led recieve 350ma each instead of 700?
The fv is 9.6 @ 700ma my power source is 12.8 volts. So the combined fv is 19.2 and combined ma is 1400. Will i need to purchase a boost puck or am I doing the calculations wrong? Sorry if these questions are stupid im just need a bit of help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Richard

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wire the leds in series the requirement will be 19.2 V and 700mA. Each led will receive 700mA.

You will need a boost driver. What batteries are you using?

holdthat1

Newly Enlightened
So if they are wired parallel each led would receive 9.6 volts and the ma would be cut in two.(350ma per led). I also im a little confused about the different type of led drivers. whats the difference between a boost puck and a power puck. I have tried googling but the information provided was kinda vague.

holdthat1

Newly Enlightened
Ok so im missing two posts. Why does a mod have to approve a post. That takes up too much time or a mod might forget to approve them.

My battery source is 8 nikle zinc aa @ 1.8 fully charged. Now if i wire the led's in parallel each led would receive 9.6 volts but the ma's would be divided by 2? Also Im a little confused about the different pucks. whats the difference between a boost puck and a power puck. Have tried googling but the information is kinda vague. Sorry again if my question are a bit noobish.

cheers,

Richard

irv_usc

Enlightened
assuming the LEDs are exactly the same, wiring them in parallel will divide the current between them.

however in real life the Vf of each LED varies slightly, thus the current going through each branch of your parallel wiring would not be exactly half. you will likely end up with different brightness levels