which driver to run 3 of these

guevi

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I am planning to make a light using 3 of these leds in parallel,
I´ll be using 18650 batteries.
What driver can I use to run these leds efficiently?. I don't need any modes, just full power.
Thank you,

guevi

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I could put them in serie connection and use 4 x 16850.
any suggestions for a driver for this set up?

Mettee

Enlightened
what are you trying to do with this light? That will help us give you better answers.

Those leds are only run at a very low current so UV light that is emitted will be low...well compared to other high power UV leds I have seen.

They recommend these resistors, that is the easiest way to go.

Power Recommended Resistors
5V- 90 Ohm
9V- 330 Ohm
12V- 470 Ohm
13,8 V (car)- 560 Ohm
Power Recommended Resistors 5V 90 Ohm 9V 330 Ohm 12V 470 Ohm 13,8 V (car) 560 Ohm

Last edited:

guevi

Newly Enlightened
for some strange reason that link opens different product pages depending on the web site browsing language, so I think you are referring to the 30 mA instead of the one I like which has these specifications

WINGER® WEPUV3-S1 Power LED UV (Schwarzlicht) 435mW 3 Watt

NEU! Die leistungsstärkste Power UV LED der Welt!Technische Daten:

Gehäuse: Star-Leiterplatte mit Aluminium-Kühlkörper
Öffnungswinkel: 140°
Spannung: 3,8V
Strom: 700mA
Wellenlänge: 395nm (ultraviolett UV-A)
Max. Leistung: 435mW

the idea is to make a light with 3 of these LEDs to see fluorescence. I am open to other suggestions too. But I need something quite pewerful.
Thanks,

Mettee

Enlightened
ok that helps, what light body are you using?

you could wire it just like I did here

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/271443

using a 700 ma board. You could also make a 700ma board by removing two amc chips from a 1400 ma board like the SB one.

Let me know if you have questions about what I wrote. obviously the board would only be 700ma

3xP7DriverSetupb.jpg

Last edited:

guevi

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your help.
The light body will be custom made with some kind of piping or maybe I use an old dive light.
Will a single 700ma driver be able to control all three LEDs? in serie or parallel?
Why did you connect the P7 LEDS like that? Please keep in mind I am quite new to LED connection/circuit design.

Mettee

Enlightened
being new is ok.....and allowed :)

The reason that diagram is that way is because it is a trick that will allow you to use a cheap driver board to run your leds.

The first two leds are there to take the majority of voltage and the third in line regulates current through them all.