Internet explorer closing slowly

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
I have had a problem lately with internet explorer 8 closing tabs verrrryyyy sllloooowwwwly on my computer. I mean when I click the x on a tab or choose to close all tabs it takes 10 to 20 seconds before the tab closes and I cannot scroll or minimize or do anything with that page. Everything else on my computer works well. Firefox is still as fast as ever. I have run all of my various anti malware cleaners, CCleaner, registry cleaners, memory cleaners, etc. but to no avail. I am running vista and IE 8. I have to use IE instead of Firefox on many of the websites I visit for work because firefox does not support some of the features of those websites. Any suggestions on how I can speed up IE?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Try here
I would use Tools | Manage Add-ons to turn them all off, then turn them on
one at a time, testing IE's closing speed each time to find out if there is
one particular one causing the problem.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Try Google Chrome! I only use Firefox and Chrome (no IE ever again) and between the two i haven't encountered a site i couldn't view in its full glory and i find myself using Firefox less every day because Chrome is just getting good!

Oh, and its free! :hitit:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you installed any add-ons or toolbars to IE? I keep mine stock and have never had any problems, however, I have seen such issues happen on user systems with a bunch of third-party stuff installed.

My philosophy when it comes to things like these is that if the built-in option works well and replacements aren't good enough to justify the addition of an application, I'll stick with the built-in. That, and the fact that I can't stand Google, keeps me on IE. Multiple browsers is completely redundant when one could have done the job properly... ;)

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
Okay, shutting down various BHO's and other add-ons did the trick. Tabs are closing instantly now. Thanks for the replies.

One more thing, somehow my scroll bar in Firefox got moved from the right side of the screen to the left. I tried dragging it back to the right. Any ideas on how to move it back to the right?

mrartillery

Enlightened
Try Google Chrome! I only use Firefox and Chrome (no IE ever again) and between the two i haven't encountered a site i couldn't view in its full glory and i find myself using Firefox less every day because Chrome is just getting good!

Oh, and its free! :hitit:
+1, Explorer sucks! Firefox has never let me down, can't say the same about IE, in which there always a problem or it would somehow have an error and have to shut down when you were right in the middle of something. :wtf: :whoopin:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Just tried a test; closed 13 Tabs in Firefox faster than I could blink.

IE is too busy storing Local Shared Objects (a huge potential vulnerability),
various cookies, array of temporary files ect....ect....:sick:

greenLED

Flashaholic
The only reason to use IE is to download Firefox. :nana:

(OK, that doesn't help you, but I had to say it.)

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
IE is too busy storing Local Shared Objects

So now Firefox doesn't cache objects, but IE does? :duh2: :duh2: :duh2: :duh2: :duh2:

That's news. Along with Firefox not having issues with add-ons......

Firefox isn't allowed in most corporate networks I've worked on, and we don't have many issues with IE.

I'm supposing next you'll tell us that cached IE files have to contantly be manually deleted. Too much effort to toggle this off under advanced settings? Always a trip when I have to tell some arrogant college Admin whining about IE that they can turn this off with a simple GPO toggle. Even on Win2K domains I could hack an ADM. template from 2003 to enable this corporate wide.... WOW! Magic!

Matter of fact, that's the next suggestion I have for the OP is to make sure IE is 'deleting temp internet files when browser is closed'. Improves performance.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Okay, shutting down various BHO's and other add-ons did the trick. Tabs are closing instantly now. Thanks for the replies.

One more thing, somehow my scroll bar in Firefox got moved from the right side of the screen to the left. I tried dragging it back to the right. Any ideas on how to move it back to the right?

try using a search engine like
google
that is how I found the first answer and this one :D

Last edited:

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
I updated firefox to the latest version and the scroll bar moved back to the right again so I am happy. I'm back to using it again except when I have to access a website that uses active x. Thanks for the replies some of them were pretty funny.

Why would some corporate networks not allow firefox?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I updated firefox to the latest version and the scroll bar moved back to the right again so I am happy. I'm back to using it again except when I have to access a website that uses active x. Thanks for the replies some of them were pretty funny.

Why would some corporate networks not allow firefox?
because corporate techs don't want to deal with extra software support on computers other than the minimum.
There used to be a plugin for firefox that you could open an activeX page in it I think not sure what it is about though.

KasualObserver

Newly Enlightened
Lynx Arc is right. The easist thing for them is to support exactly the same configuration for everyone. It makes things much easier to debug, and, when they meet something they can't handle, they can rebuild their stock configuration from an image - really fast to do.

Given the large amount of hours these IT guys put in, we'd be hard put to disagree with them on this:)

JCD

Enlightened
Lynx Arc is right. The easist thing for them is to support exactly the same configuration for everyone. It makes things much easier to debug, and, when they meet something they can't handle, they can rebuild their stock configuration from an image - really fast to do.

Given the large amount of hours these IT guys put in, we'd be hard put to disagree with them on this:)

The problem with that is that the IT department exists to support the company network and users, not the other way around. If a user can be more productive with a different configuration, then it is generally best for the company to allow them to use that configuration. Easiest for IT does not imply most cost effective for the company.