My new D10 won't turn on anymore!!!

36\01RSAW

Newly Enlightened
I was so excited when got my Nitecore D10 SP R2 XP-E last week friday and have been playing with it all the time. A couple of hours ago I tried turning it on and it wouldn't turn on!!!! I had been playing with it earlier this evening without problems.

I tried putting in a fresh eneloop as well as an alkaline AA with no success (+ towards head - towards tail right). I wiped down the contacts even though they weren't dirty. I also quick triple clicked the tail cap to make sure it wasn't in lockout mode (I've done this a bunch of times since, i think i'm doing it right). I didn't see or smell any magic smoke and nothing appears to be fried (not sure i would know though)

This is my first flashlight and I can't believe this is happening. What could be wrong? What could I have possibly done to mess this light up? How can I fix it?

What do you do after the quick triple tailcap click?

What would you do next?

Thanks.

purelite

Enlightened
I think maybe sometimes the ring inside the head can get stuck on the D10s? I could be wrong. I dont have one myself but I read some about these lights. Check that ring in there and see if it is stuck somehow.

Dan FO

Enlightened
I think maybe sometimes the ring inside the head can get stuck on the D10s? I could be wrong. I dont have one myself but I read some about these lights. Check that ring in there and see if it is stuck somehow.

Rotate that ring about 1/4 turn.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of the earlier version and similar thing happened to me. When I got it, it worked fine.

After playing with it for a while, I turned the bezel so not to drain the battery, left it on my nightstand while I was away for a week, and the light wouldn't fire when I returned. Had to send it back to the deal to get it replaced. Never found out what had happened.

Hope you'll get your's figured out.

36\01RSAW

Newly Enlightened
Rotate that ring about 1/4 turn.

What the heck :duh2: I just rotated that ring a quarter turn and it started working after a few flickers. That ring wasn't even stuck down!!! I was just trying anything. What is going on with this thing? Thanks for the advice!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the heck :duh2: I just rotated that ring a quarter turn and it started working after a few flickers. That ring wasn't even stuck down!!! I was just trying anything. What is going on with this thing? Thanks for the advice!
That ring your talking about is spring loaded and is supposed to go up and down against the circuit board in response to piston movement.

James....:thumbsup:

Dan FO

Enlightened

I usually put a little DeoxiT ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104746 ) around the brass ring and rotate a couple of times and the problem goes away. ;) Some stick a little bit and don't make contact and some don't, not a problem when you know what is going on.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I usually put a little DeoxiT ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104746 ) around the brass ring and rotate a couple of times and the problem goes away. ;) Some stick a little bit and don't make contact and some don't, not a problem when you know what is going on.

Yet another one who finds out that Nitecore PD lights are capricious divas... :D

The rings often make problems, some lights come with dirt on the inside of the ring which prevents propper contact. I removed the ring on all my lights, cleaned it thoroughly with Deoxyd Red, same for the contact plate on the board, then applied Deoxyd Gold and reassembled.

You should find a video somewhere how to remove the ring, just gig under it with tweezers at the place it is split and carefully free it, if it gets stuck, push it back and restart, don't use excessive force! Check if the ring moves up and down freely after reassembling, turning it fully twice counterclockwise and adjust it may help. :wave:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
This happened to me a couple of times with my new EX10 SP. I found that just loosening and tightening the head a few times solved the problem. I also keep it with the head loosened for "momentary" mode and don't experience any problems when returning to the "standard" mode with the tightened head.

I think the EX10 and D10 share the same type of ring, so it's probably just some crap sticking in there and prevening it from moving properly. The other posters have good advice, too. It's amazing what a little deoxit or just plain old rubbing alcohol will do to get finicky lights working properly.

36\01RSAW

Newly Enlightened
I am very grateful for your quick and helpful responses here. I can't believe that a little twist of that ring made it work again! Capricious is a very good word for the PD.

Another thing to add, does anyone else notice that if you loosen the head so that it is in momentary mode, the threads are loose enough that you can just compress the body so that the light will turn on.

I'm glad that that it was an easy problem to fix. It is a little concerning that my brand new and expensive (to me) flashlight stopped working so easily. It is still a very cool and unique piece though. Maybe i'll have to get something that is super reliable next, something that wont suffer from these little quirks, something bombproof.

Thanks for your advice guys, the addiction has just begun.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very grateful for your quick and helpful responses here. I can't believe that a little twist of that ring made it work again! Capricious is a very good word for the PD.

Another thing to add, does anyone else notice that if you loosen the head so that it is in momentary mode, the threads are loose enough that you can just compress the body so that the light will turn on.

I'm glad that that it was an easy problem to fix. It is a little concerning that my brand new and expensive (to me) flashlight stopped working so easily. It is still a very cool and unique piece though. Maybe i'll have to get something that is super reliable next, something that wont suffer from these little quirks, something bombproof.

Thanks for your advice guys, the addiction has just begun.
Try an iTP A2 ... They get great reviews ... There again , all the iTPs (A series) get good reviews.

36\01RSAW

Newly Enlightened
It stopped working again, and now I can't seem to revive it. I took that brass ring out to clean it. Does the brass ring contact the area that the arrow is pointing to in the picture? Is the ring supposed to be reinserted in a particular orientation? I might have to send this one back:( I just don't know what is going on with this thing.
smalerd10.png

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Yes, to the best of my knowledge that is the contact point. Use a q-tip moistened with rubbing alcohol or Deoxit to clean that area as well as all surfaces of the ring itself. Blot the q-tip to desaturate it prior to cleaning around the driver as you don't need to flood the area.

No, there isn't a particular orientation for the ring to be reinstalled.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a weird situation with one of my EX10, the XR-E/R2 light engine I put in a Fatty. Testing the light, it flickered once and was dead... :eek:

I tried about everything, starting with another cell, putting the head on another body, removing the brass ring (although it had been cleaned and treated with Deoxyd a few weeks ago), turning it around, taking the light engine out. Each time the head got contact with the body, the emitter lit up weekly (titanium body).

Not knowing what to do furthermore, I took the DMM to check if any current passed. Well, thinking about that, if no light comes out, no current passes, but, hey, why not try? Cell on the board-contact, one contact to the back of the cell. Believe it or nor, but as soon as I touched the brass ring with the other contact, the light flickered twice, perhaps I shivered, and it lit up. Maybe a coincidence? I put the head on teh body again and everything worls like a charm?

I now wonder if there are not many dead light engines around, which are not dead? I have no idea what the problem was and what made it work again, but if you have a DMM, give it a try! lovecpf

36\01RSAW

Newly Enlightened
Well, It works again. I was telling my friend about how much of a POS it was and during my conversation I forcefully put it down on my desk and it lit up. It was a miracle.

Now I get to see how long it takes before the lights go out again. I would not bet my life on this thing that is for sure. Maybe I got a lemon, or I did some damage to it that I am unaware of. I love the form and the concept of this light, but the function is iffy. My PD is very stiff and in my LIMITED experience it is unreliable. Oh well, I guess this is an excuse to get another light.

Any ideas as to the mysterious unreliability of my D10? Hopefully I won't have to revive this thread anymore.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
My PD is very stiff and in my LIMITED experience it is unreliable. Oh well, I guess this is an excuse to get another light.

Mine is as well, whenever I hand it to someone they always wonder where the button is, and end up using it as a twistie instead. However I personally see it as a benefit that it will never come on accidentally.
I'm slightly amused by the quirkiness of yours, but mine's been flawless (aside from a stiff piston) from day one so yours is unique...

I do hope it works out for you though, its been a very nice light to me at least!