Advice Needed

ASG

Newly Enlightened
Greetings All,

My wife and I just moved out into a rural area on about 5 acres of land. Needless to say, we will be needing some flashlights.

I am looking at something that has high output. I thought about either the Fenix TK40 or TK30, but the user interface on those two seems confusing.

I basically want it simple. Dual output is not needed (but nice to have). Durability is a concern. In searching, it seems that the Fenix lights have had some issues with that.

I thought about the Surefire lineup, but it seems that I can get more output at less expense.

So, I need some recommendations please.

Thank you.

ASG

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, most modern lights have more or less complicated UIs, the higher the maximal output, the more modes they often have...

The easiest I can imagine, crazy bright as well, is the MCE-EDC from ElektroLumens : http://www.elektrolumens.com/
That's one mode, just twist for continous light or push the cap for momentary (you better twist...). It is direct drive and puts out a wall of light. It runs on an 18650, but only about an hour and it gets pretty hot. There's a lack of throw.

They also have the DeCree, same technology but smaller and with an XP-G LED, the beam has more throw, less flood and can run 2,5 hours on an 18650. Combined with the MCE-EDC you surely have what you need in hands! The lights are very rugged and have about no parts that can fail, besides the emitter of course.

Another idea is a Surefire host (18650 bored are available from Oveready) in which you put a dropin of your choice, Nailbender e.g. also has single modes available. That should also be a foolproof light, the emitter and the beam caracteristics are your choice!

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Since you considered the TK30 I assume you are comfortable with 18650 lithium batteries. Consequently, I recommend you take a look at three torches:
1. Jetbeam RRT-3.
2. Tiablo ACE-G.
3. Eagletac M2 (various versions).

All have very high top ends, very simple UI's, and good build quality, especially the Jetbeam.

Good hunting!

WDR65

Enlightened
I would also recommend the JetBeam M1X and perhaps the M2S. I own the M1X and it serves as a great spotlight. I live and work on over 1,000 acres and occasionally we have problems with the deer population or other animals that roam around at night. The M1X works very well for me checking fields and irrigation late at night.

I can't comment much on the M2s as I don't have one but it seems like it would be an improvment on the M1X.