Poof!

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I burned out a flashlight tonight. It went :poof: in about 10 seconds. Maybe 15. I had a Life Gear AA torch I bought from Target a few years ago and decided to try a Li-Ion 14500 in it tonight. It took all of 10-15 seconds for the emitter to go :poof: and smell like smoke. I had no idea it would go that quick, but it put out a good beam while doing so. Goodbye light!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You have released and smelled the magic smoke that makes LED's work! Oh and good job killing those chip weevils. Little *******s.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
You accidentally deleted the first bracket to make the quote

Anyway, I would have consulted the owners manual before powering on such a light. Not many brands accept lithiums.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You basically fed the poor little LED horse steroids, and it died.

Poor little guy. :shakehead

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL! Did you notice the LED change color just before it died? IIRC there have been reports of them going very blue/purple before they burn out.

BOOM.jpg

burntoshine

Enlightened
i'm a little jealous. i haven't had a :poof: experience yet. the closest i've came is leaving an alkaline AA in a inova X1 for a few years, and having it completely corrode shut. <i put the light in my vice and broke it open with channel lock pliers just to confirm that it was a complete gonner. and yes, it was.>

congratulations! :party:

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I hope you plan to give that light a proper burial with full honors.

Geoff

Nooo! Upgrade time - get an R5 in there! :grin2:

-PG
He is already buried. It just smelled too bad to work on. I tried a few times, but he had to go. :(

Congratulations on your 1st poof experience!
Thanks! It was fun in a merciless, sadistic way. I doubted the little guy had much of a chance against that type of power. I just wanted to see what would happen.
:poof::laughing:lovecpf

AlphaZen

Enlightened
@DM51 - No, I didn't notice a change in color, but I remember hearing similar stories. Would have been neat to have it glow purple.