switches

beam24

Newly Enlightened
im building a flashlight host using a XRE R2 emitter powered by one 18650 and i need a GOOD small tail cap switch. would anyone no where i can find a good place to by some good switches ???

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
im building a flashlight host using a XRE R2 emitter powered by one 18650 and i need a GOOD small tail cap switch. would anyone no where i can find a good place to by some good switches ???
start at your local radio shack. i bought literally hundreds of switches there over the years, never had a problem with single one.

beam24

Newly Enlightened
thats what i thought to, but if im going to build some nice host's i better get some good tail cap switches.

and i think at my radio shack they only sells toggle switches :(

beam24

Newly Enlightened
would the R5 XP-G be better than the XRE R2 ? im looking for the best led for a great thrower and few people told me to go with that led

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it depends more on what reflector/optics you use than which LED. I've used a Nichia 6-chip emitter in a light that will light up a stop sign about 3/4 mile away as an example. If you use an optic that is designed to give your LED throw, you'll be fine. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used both in my builds, honestly i can't see much of a difference, when you shine it on a white wall both next to each other, you will see the difference, but at night in the woods, any will work just fine, you will never say, "damn, i wish i had xp-g instead of xr-e.

here is a link to pics of my bulds,https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3431102&postcount=11
black lantern on the right has xp-g, yellow and orange ones next to it have xr-e. all 3 have similar output and throw, to my eye at least.

beam24

Newly Enlightened
well since i dont no what lens i need for the best thrower i think i might go with a small aspheric lens

unless anyone noes a good lens/reflector ?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
well since i dont no what lens i need for the best thrower i think i might go with a small aspheric lens

unless anyone noes a good lens/reflector ?
get p60 drop in, they already sold as one unit,(available in q5 or r2) with correct reflector, and driver, thou heat sinking is not optimal in those units, if you use them outside correct flashlight,
i move driver out, and in the"cup" where it was i put piece if copper, as big of a piece as i can fit and find, i glue it with arctic aluminia. it helps in heat dissipation a bit.

beam24

Newly Enlightened
where do u think i should go to buy a p60 drop in ? any pacific one ?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
p60 is the size, 26mm diameter, there are xr-e, xp-g, mc-e, p7, sst50, sst90 drop ins. and pbly some more led types.
dx\kd sells them, some are on e bay, i bought few from us based seller (thou they were the same ones i bought from dx, just didn't have to wait 4 weeks, but paid almost 2x as much.)
all p60 that run leds below 1 amp, is more or less ok heatsinked, anything more that an amp has horrible heat sinking, after a minute continuous on high power leds will heat up the drop in so much you wont be able to touch it, led will loose most of the output. there is no way that tiny p60 drop in even in 6p aluminum light has enough heat transfer to keep up with sst 90.
keep that in mind