MiniLite - 1 CR123 Luxeon Flashlight

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, many thanks to Eric who pointed this little light out in this thread , which is the host for this mod.

This really does make for a great mod. A single CR123 battery drives a 1W HD Luxeon at 620ma for a real pocket sized scortcher. Shown below next to a MicroIlluminator.

mini4.jpg

Yes, that's right, it's even shorter than a Micro, but a little fatter to accommodate the husky lithium cell. It also has a nice 'mini' turbo head with a reflector that produces a brilliant round spot, and a very bright corona. Just the right balance to light up a whole room, yet have the center spot intensity for some long throw.

mini2.jpg

The flashlight itself is reasonably well built, all aluminum, with push button switch on the tail; very nice. A little lathe work on the reflector, and the Luxeon fit right into it like it was made for it.

mini3.jpg

A nice heatsink and converter complete the mod. Extended run times don't really seem to be of much concern, as the large head assembly has enough mass to handle the heat and not get too hot.

mini5.jpg

Above shows the Mini on the right, and a Micro on the left for comparison. While not quite as pocketable as the MicroIlluminator, the MiniLite packs a whole lot more punch in a shorter, yet fatter package. However, it does fit nicely in my shirt pocket, hmm.....

EuroBeetle

Newly Enlightened
Oh yes she is beautiful and i must have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
VERY NICE!!

Is the pushbutton switch on the tail a momentary on with tighten for constant on, or some kind of clickie?

Doesn't look like there is anyplace on the light for a clip or keyring?

Wylie

Enlightened
Very sexy!
Black only?
Waterproof?
Run Time?
Binning you can swing?
Any chance on focusing abilities?
I'm still without the right tools or I would give this one a run myself.
Is that a Q3 or an R next to the Mini Lite?
Looks like this will match the early EverLed on for four AA Nimhs if that is one of the Rs.
Did you get the repair kit in the mail you mentioned?
I'm still /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif but sure like what I see so far.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
HuterSon - Could be made for sale, if enough interest, and I clone myself to do the work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

jcciv - The tail switch is both momentairy; push for flash, or push all the way down for click to constant on/off. The tailcap is dished out around the switch, so a hole could easily be drilled for lanyard, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wylie - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Ok, all your questions answered:
Yes
not if you're Aquaman
haven't tested that yet
when younger, corn bins and soy
the Micro is R3, the Mini is a poor P2
could, but might not work genetically
Yes, why don't you have it?

Here's another look, next to an E1e.

mini6.jpg

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
Cute. Now I will have to go to Harbor Freight tomorrow. Shipping is reasonable, but the $5.95 "handling" charge on their web site sucks.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally cool!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
If you make more, I definitely want one to add to my collection of Lambda lights.

Pat

Wylie

Enlightened
Kevin, what's up with the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif you should see what people do to the products I build man! One little slip and that's what I get? I don't know why I don't have it yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Maybe my mail man is afraid of the construction that is happening on my street now but I did get my cell bill the other day. If I were paranoid I would think something funny was going on, I am typing faster then the screen can keep up with now and my net connection is acting weird too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
Did you use my Hemet address? If you sent it to Corona I would understand why it didn't make it to me but it would have come back to you by now I would have thought. The Elsinore address is the safest at least I think so anyway, people know me too well now, and it might be time for a P.O. box.
Of all colors why do manufacturers make black flashlights, no common sense I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
I'm not Aquaman but I can swim like him though, I think its all the fish I eat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif . Okay my ears start to bother me at about 30 feet and a nice wave makes for more fun so who needs to go that deep for fun without a spear gun anyway, and sharks scare me at night.

If you do a run of these and the price is within my budget I think I will be interested in at least one for myself and possibly a couple more for gifts if funds permit.

I think road testing would be out of the question with this one, yikes!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice kevin!

any chance you could take a picture next to an arc ls or a minimag?

excuse me if i missed the dimensions somewhere...did you provide them?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth, here it is next to a MiniMag.

mini7.jpg

This is a pretty easy and straight forward mod, if you have a lathe to trim the reflector a little. Makes for a nice super small eye scorcher; lot's a light in a little package, but not just a novelty, also useful as a real flashlight.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin...what kind of stock lamp does this light come with? Is it a bi-pin, or some type of proprietary lamp? Also, can the reflector be easily removed, and will an NX05 fit in the bezel? Looks like it could be a candidate for an Inretech drop-in if it's bi-pin and an NX05 will fit! Thanx...

PJD

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just called the local Harbor Freight and these are online orders only (item #3661-0VGA @ $11.99 plus shipping). Nice work Kevin!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I've been wondering about these little lights for quite some time now.

Dan

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
Which sucks. I called the store in Houston and they did not have any, so I ordered 5 from the online store so that I would not have to pay shipping, just the $5 "handling fee." I will probably sell some of them in the B/S/T when I get them.