EDC NiteCore

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Hey Everyone,

Noob looking for a EDC. Just ran across NiteCores. The D10 seems to fit what I'm looking for. But never really heard of them (Noob...so only heard of the big makers such as Surefire, Fenix, Olight, etc.)

Are they any good? Reliable? Stand behind their product and have good warranty service?

Thanks.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're going to get replies from both sides of the fence on this one. I sit firmly on the fanboy side, so here's mine:

I've carried my D10 Tribute every single day since I got it, and despite buying new AA lights every month, it hasn't been replaced yet. I absolutely love the old UI (ramping) and have never operated the new SP UI (strobe/SOS) nor would I ever buy one. For me, instant access to high/low with ramping in between is perfect.

I've never had a problem with mine - lots of people have. The newer SP models seem to have more issues than the old one. Lately there have been a good number of threads from people who received a D10 SP R2 and have sent it back due to issues. The new UI seems more prone to issue, since even a tiny loss of power counts as a click of the piston and certain click combos puts the light into lockout mode. From what I've been reading, warranty service has been average (nothing special) - light gets replaced, sometimes works fine afterwards and sometimes doesn't.

The piston drive is a mixed bag, in that it's amazingly quiet and has a great feel (like the buttons on your car stereo) but if the light is dropped, gravity will perform it's work on the piston and likely shut the light off (or turn it on).

The D11 is coming out soon and will combine the ramping UI with the SOS/strobe functions (along with an XP-G and all that jazz).

My personal opinion: if you can get your hands on an old ramping UI D10, you should do it. It's an amazing EDC light and the only one I'd own if I had to choose.

adnj

Enlightened
Unless you are in a life or death situation like caving, I would say that the reliability is excllent. Though it may need a little attention to the piston every 6 to 9 months so far as lubrication is concerned.

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know where to get a old UI D10??

Not the "SP" D10? No need for those functions and it takes away the momentary on function which is most useful in a EDC.

Thanks.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned 4 Nitecores and 3 have had issues, two have been sent back to Nitecore for warranty repairs. The third one will be sent back if the problem persists. I'll never buy another one.

Get a Quark or Fenix. I've got more of those than any other brand and none have let me down yet.

henry1960

Enlightened
I've owned 4 Nitecores and 3 have had issues, two have been sent back to Nitecore for warranty repairs. The third one will be sent back if the problem persists. I'll never buy another one.

Get a Quark or Fenix. I've got more of those than any other brand and none have let me down yet.

DITO On That Jash....:tinfoil:

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Yeah.....I figure as much. Wasn't looking at NiteCore until I ran across a post that someone is doing with the push piston. He is machining them out and has a tritium inserts. That looked very cool and makes it easy to find the light in the dark!!!

Any other lights that can get the tritium inserts?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ramping UIs are hard to come by now. All of the ebay sellers don't have them anymore and the website dealers have been out of them for a long time. Every now and then, you'll find one in the marketplace. I like my D10s. They look cool, feels great in the hand and most of the time the piston actuation is smooth and satisfying. The spill/flood and hotspot balance is pretty darn near perfect for indoor duties and short distances outside. I've never really put it through the paces so I'm not familiar with its ruggedness or durability but I would go to something else if I were to.

The trit slots are cool but are really hard to come by unless if you like the camo version. The slots come standard in those.

red02

Enlightened
Just a few days ago I received a brand new NDI and it had problems out of the box. Randomly it starts on high when the bezel is low. It seems its part of their design...

Stay far far away from Nitecore, like the other have said get something else that's actually going to work. Looks wise Nitecore is great, if only they worked as well.

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
I own two ramping EX10s...one had issues but it just needed some TLC with some cleaning and Precision Oiler, which fixed it. I had an Extreme R2 die on me completely after barely any use at all -- this I sent back to Nitecore for repair.

I don't think I would recommend Nitecore. Their customer service is good, but I'd rather just have a working light and not have to send anything back at all...especially so far away.

I now EDC an HDS Systems 170 exec. I think it's the ultimate EDC and won't be going back to Nitecore anytime soon.

entoptics

Enlightened
My D10 has been outstanding (other than some "break in" problems when I first got it).

The greatest thing about the D10 is it's size. It's the smallest "clicky" switch single AA light around, and it has a perfect grip, pocket clip, and form factor for pocket carry. The next greatest thing about it is the UI, which allows nearly instant access to high and low from off, and it remembers the last setting used. Lastly, it's probably the brightest single AA option out there (Fenix LD10 R4 may beat it).

Unfortunately, the new UI is different, and the anecdotal failure reports here on CPF are too numerous for comfort, so it's only advantages are size and brightness, which aren't enough better than it's competitors to deal with the above drawbacks.

I'd steer clear of the D10 as a "first good light" purchase. I got lucky with mine, but many folks can't say the same.

Another outstanding option is the 4Sevens Quark AA. It's a bit bigger than the D10, but still happy in a pocket. Excellent warranty, durability, efficiency, and versatility.

Last edited:

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Which would you guys recommend for a EDC???

Fenix LD10+ or a 4Seven Quark aa???

Anyway to get a tritium on either of these Fenix or 4Seven lights?

thanks.

entoptics

Enlightened
Which would you guys recommend for a EDC???

Fenix LD10+ or a 4Seven Quark aa???

Anyway to get a tritium on either of these Fenix or 4Seven lights?

thanks.

Both are virtually identical lights in terms of operation/UI, and both have excellent reputations here on CPF. Fenix may have a slight edge in terms of durability/reliability, but it's too close to call.

In other words, choose based on your needs/preferences/budget.

Key differences...
  • Quark AA is slightly shorter but slightly fatter
  • Fenix is a fair bit brighter on Max than Quark, but not so much as to be an obvious winner unless viewed side by side.
  • Quark has a "low-low" mode great for unobtrusive use (navigating without disturbing fellow campers, spouse, etc). The low on the Fenix is 9 lumens which is brighter than an old school MiniMag.
  • Quark is "lego-able", meaning you can interchange the heads, tails, and bodies with most other Quark lights, so you can buy parts individually (at very reasonable prices) and make a different light (CR123, 18650, 2xAA, Turbo, Tactical, etc).
  • The Quark has a more floody beam.

Neither will allow for a tritium insert. I'd forget about the tritium anyway. They are hard to find, and tough to mount. Good quality glow in the dark tape works quite well, and can be attached anywhere you want.

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Awww..... but I am a noob that is drawn to the coolness of a trit insert like a moth to the flame. I know in my heart is not all that useful, but it has major cool factor :cool:

entoptics

Enlightened
Awww..... but I am a noob that is drawn to the coolness of a trit insert like a moth to the flame. I know in my heart is not all that useful, but it has major cool factor :cool:

Exactly the reason I purchased a D10 Tribute Edition a few months back, still no trit.

Unfortunately Young Jedi...

"The D10, reliable is not. Available, the old UI is not. Yes, hmmm. Hard to find, slotted pistons and tritium vials are. Hmmmmmm."

pugga

Newly Enlightened
Hi neomedic,

Pm replied. My opinion is they are a great light. Everyone has different experiences good and bad but definitely the trits are cool and quite unique as you have seen and commented on my thread. I have a Fenix LD10/LD20/PD20 combination (no Quarks) and since getting the D10/EX10 have only used my LD10/LD20/PD20 once for the kids when camping whereas my D10/EX10 are rotated daily. I prefer the ramping but have used the SP version (not that bad at all) and gave one SP to my wifes 16 year old sister and she loves it (with my trit/slot in it:devil:). I think someone else said it in another thread that I agree with 100%. The D10/EX10 can be a bit more temperamental than other brands and may need a bit of tweaking to get right (re-lubing is all I have had to do) but once it is they are perfect. Here is a link with all you will ever need to know. Enjoy.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255627

Cheers pugga

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM pugga. Maybe you can help me out.

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
What's up w/ admin on marketplace forum?? I can't post till a mod post it and no PM functions???

I'll have to do it here in the open:

Pugga,

I'm looking for a EDC. I like the trit inserts.

How much would it cost for a NiteCore D10 with a single vial of green trit (with holes on each side) and a clip for pocket carry installed?

Do you have a ramping D10???

Thanks.

entoptics

Enlightened
What's up w/ admin on marketplace forum?? I can't post till a mod post it and no PM functions???

I'll have to do it here in the open:

Pugga,

I'm looking for a EDC. I like the trit inserts.

How much would it cost for a NiteCore D10 with a single vial of green trit (with holes on each side) and a clip for pocket carry installed?

Do you have a ramping D10???

Thanks.

If that ain't going to the darkside fast, I don't know what is. :D

I can't dissuade you in any way though. I friggin love my D10 ramping UI, and would get a trit if I had spare cash. Be prepared for "tuning" and "tweaking" though. And the piston drive will take some getting used to.

Good luck! and... :welcome: