FIRST POST, FIRST FLASHLIGHT

big70tom

Newly Enlightened
MY FIRST POST. I WAS DIRECTED OVER HERE FROM BLADEFORUMS AS I AM A NEW KNIFE NUT, AND FOUND EVERY TIME I LOOKED AT KNIFE DEALERS THERE WERE FLASHLIGHTS. SO HERE I AM.

MY QUESTION...

MY FIRST PURCHASE, WOULD LIKE TO SPEND UP TO 100$ AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT A QUALITY LIGHT WOULD BE IN THIS RANGE. I KEEP A MAG IN MY HOUSE, BUT I HAVE 5 KIDS AND ITS CONSTANTLY MISSING, SO THIS ONE WILL BE ALL MINE, AND KEPT IN MY TRUCK. IM LOOKING FOR A GOOD POWERFUL LIGHT, THAT FEELS GOOD IN MY HAND.

AND EDUCATION YOU GUYS FEEL LIKE THROWING AT ME FEEL FREE..... I LISTEN AND I LEARN.

ALSO A GOOD REPUTABLE ON LINE SITE TO PURCHASE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Big Tom. I'd go for a Surefire G2 w. a Malkoff Drop-in. And the CPF Marketplace is the best place to get "like new" lights, and 99.9% of the people on here are reputable enough to be trusted. This is the best, "solid" set-up you can get for ~$100. There's ton's more MFG's out there, but all I own are SF's (minus a few inova/pelicans), so I won't discredit any of the other companies, but I can only recommened what I know. This is one of the most recommeneded set-ups (just read a few posts, or search "G2 Malkoff"...), and unlike most of the pre-built models (i.e. "solid lights"), this one can be easiy upgraded (Brighter) or down graded (Lower out-put/more-runtime) by easily swithcing out the Lamp Assy/Drop-in. The G2 is the cheapest genuine "P60" host you can get, and doing a search on "P60 drop-ins" will net ton's of info to better help you understand the "dsrop-in" concept.

Hope this helps, and again, Welcome to CPF!

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Tom,

For your $100 budget you can own quite a range of lights depending on your preferences.

There is a survey / questionaire on this site you can use to help determine what sort of light you want.

For instance; do you prefer an EDC [every day carry] sized light or something you can put in a coat pocket, or a larger sized light? Just one area to consider....

I will mention Light Hound as a good source site

http://www.lighthound.com/

They carry a wide array of lights and helpful accessories at very fair prices w/ very good customer service.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend a Surefire 6P LED if you don't want to modify a light.
If you do, and it's ridiculously easy, get the 6P without an emiter and buy a Malkoff M61

Welcome to the club.

ps. Writting in all caps is the equivalent of yelling, and it's just not pleasant to read.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 with M60 or M61 - failing that, Surefire 6P, with or without Malkoff upgrade:twothumbs

Also;

capslock.jpg

Please.:(

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too say go for either the surefire G2 LED or 6P LED. If you order make sure it's the newest model with the updated LED, if you plan on leaving it stock anyway. These can be had for your $100 budget and still have money left over for cells.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello :welcome:

Surefire has already been mentioned so I will suggest a Jetbeam RRT-2, it has good throw and the selector ring for changing output is really nice. This is one of the more solid built light's I own so I would trust it to be tossed around a bit. You can also buy the Jetbeam large size holster if you plan to carry it around or even for keeping it from rolling around in your truck and offer a bit of protection.

http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/raptorrrt2.html

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend a used Surefire A2 Aviator you can get them in the Market place all the time for around $95.00. If you look for one I would recommend the white led instead of the color led to go along with the incan.

New, Fenix TK-11 (newest model) a tank of a light for the $75.00 or so price. The TK-11 uses CR 123 batteries. If you want a solid AA flashlight, you have a bunch of good choices under the $100.00 range. But I would highly recommend the TK-11, you will like it. Good Luck...