New Surefire owner

deerslayer6837

Newly Enlightened
I just got my 1st Surefire an E2DL. It is a great light, but I don't know much about the lithium batteries. Are the any special precautions needed with them? Can they leak like alkaline batteries?

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, deerslayer6837 :)

Nice choice for your first SF! Your question is principally about batteries, so I'm going to move this to the Batteries section, where you'll see other threads on this topic.

Broadly speaking, Lithium primary (non-rechargeable) CR123A cells are fine for most situations, and will never leak like alkalines. The main precaution to be observed is to ensure that you use good quality matched cells in your light (same make, age, state of charge etc). Never mix them up or replace just one when the light is running low, or they could blow up.

Rechargeable Lithium-Ion RCR123A cells are available, but Surefire does not recommend them for use in its lights and using them could void the warranty.

z17813

Newly Enlightened
I was cleaning up under the house the other day and found my beat up old surefire 6Z (second hand when I bought it), worked out it had been sitting under there for about 8 years in the dust and damp, and it worked the moment I picked it up.
They are cool lights and I have never had lithium CR123s leak. I want to get one of the E2DLs, nice choice.