HDS Flashlights 17670 edition or 18650 - Pocket Carry?

CPFBiology

Enlightened
For the owners of HDS with the 17670 battery extender tubes or the newer HDS Twisty's (18650 standard), can you pocket carry this light reasonably well, or is it uncomfortable?

Or is it best to just get the regular Executive or Tactical with one RCR123?
Anyone have pics compared to other flashlights - specifically the 17670's or 18650's?

I read on the spec's that the 18650 Twisty light is 3.5" long, and the RCR123 is 3.75" long meaning that the light that takes the bigger battery is actually shorter. This might be a type-O being that the old specs for the old Twisty were used instead. I am thinking the light (18650 Twisty) is closer to 4.6". Can anyone confirm?

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Do y'all mostly use the smaller HDS lights?

The RCR123 and the C123a's?

Is that best for pocket EDC?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using both CR123 and 17670 tubes for the clicky and they both carry very well bezel down in my rear pocket with the bezel down clip. I don't even feel that it is there. But, I wear jeans or 5.11 tactical pants mainly so if you are the business wear type then I am not too sure if my bezel down rear pocket configuration would suit you.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I have been using both CR123 and 17670 tubes for the clicky and they both carry very well bezel down in my rear pocket with the bezel down clip. I don't even feel that it is there. But, I wear jeans or 5.11 tactical pants mainly so if you are the business wear type then I am not too sure if my bezel down rear pocket configuration would suit you.

In your view, is it worth the sacrifice in runtime to get the smaller version (c123a)?

medicsix

Newly Enlightened

If I might ask, does your HDC Clicky with the 17670 fit in the front left magazine pocket on your 511s? If that is no the 511s that you are using, can you tell me how long the HDS Clicky is with the 17670 battery?

Thank you for your help, medicsix (AKA: Woodstock)

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
I usually EDC bigger lights like a Surefire C2 which are palm-filling because my EDC tends to double up for tactical use. Most people find them bulky but it's never bugged me and makes it easier to deploy. Most folks that EDC use lights are small by design but they work very poorly with firearms techniques.

I actually recently aquired the HDS tactical 170lm with the 1x123 and I like the size for general use. I've never actually purchased a "small light" before but I can see why it's so handy. However I find it too small for tactical deployment. As a result, I am going to buy their CRI model with the 1x123 and use that for general use and I'm currently waiting on the 17670 compartments to ship so I can make the tactical bigger to fill my palm.

I'm going to try carrying both the 17670 in my left pocket (typical carry) or belt holster and keep the 1x123 in another pocket and program it up for normal daily tasks. I usually wear cargo pants or 5.11 stuff and they're very roomy by design for gear horders.:D

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your view, is it worth the sacrifice in runtime to get the smaller version (c123a)?

I find it difficult to provide a conclusive answer here. It all depends on your usage.

When I don't anticipate needing to use my light for the day I would use the 123 tube. If I am going for camping trip then it makes more sense to use the 17670 tube. Even without the 17670 tube I don't see myself going through more than 2 battery changes per night on RCR123 as I don't operate my lights in full power all the time. YMMV.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I find it difficult to provide a conclusive answer here. It all depends on your usage.

When I don't anticipate needing to use my light for the day I would use the 123 tube. If I am going for camping trip then it makes more sense to use the 17670 tube. Even without the 17670 tube I don't see myself going through more than 2 battery changes per night on RCR123 as I don't operate my lights in full power all the time. YMMV.
Yeah, cool, thanks for posting it.

Yeah, I understand, it would depend on my own use right.

I get a feel that I can get the smaller version, and have spares ready in case. And this will kinda give me the value that would be gained from the 17670 tube. I would carry other lights too as well that are non-HDS, like a Surefire for a 18650 for longer runs.

Is your HDS your favourite light or another?

Spare batteries, and spare flashlights, two is one; one is none.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes they are all my favorite and I love the 100 high CRI the most for it's color rendition in natural outdoors. For urban usage then I would carry either a 140 GT or 170. Camping, which I do frequently, would be 100 high CRI for general use and 170 just purely for throw. The 170 clicky is a smaller substitute to my much loved Surefire LX2.

I have plenty of Surefire lights too, and though they make very reliable lights, I find myself liking the UI and versatility of HDS lights better.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the owners of HDS with the 17670 battery extender tubes or the newer HDS Twisty's (18650 standard), can you pocket carry this light reasonably well, or is it uncomfortable?

Or is it best to just get the regular Executive or Tactical with one RCR123?
Anyone have pics compared to other flashlights - specifically the 17670's or 18650's?

I read on the spec's that the 18650 Twisty light is 3.5" long, and the RCR123 is 3.75" long meaning that the light that takes the bigger battery is actually shorter. This might be a type-O being that the old specs for the old Twisty were used instead. I am thinking the light (18650 Twisty) is closer to 4.6". Can anyone confirm?

The 19670 tailcap is 3.5" long by itself. The Twisty with RCR tailcap is 3.75 together. I'll measure my Twisty with the big thing on back in a short while.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I might ask, does your HDC Clicky with the 17670 fit in the front left magazine pocket on your 511s? If that is no the 511s that you are using, can you tell me how long the HDS Clicky is with the 17670 battery?

Thank you for your help, medicsix (AKA: Woodstock)
It fits just nicely in the magazine pocket but the problem is that it gets uncomfortable when I sit down. The light keeps jutting on my pelvic flesh. Total length of the light with 17670 tube and protruding button is 5 1/4". About 5" with the flushed tail cap.

medicsix

Newly Enlightened
It fits just nicely in the magazine pocket but the problem is that it gets uncomfortable when I sit down. The light keeps jutting on my pelvic flesh. Total length of the light with 17670 tube and protruding button is 5 1/4". About 5" with the flushed tail cap.
Thank you very much for the reply. I am trying to carry the HDS 170T with the 17670 battery, (which I am waiting eagerly for its arrival), for tactical puposes and a HDS High CRI with an RCR123 for everything else.
The 511s have a great array of pockets, but I think we all carry too much stuff, (not). Thanks again for the reply.

medicsix (AKA: Woodstock)

CPFBiology

Enlightened
The 19670 tailcap is 3.5" long by itself. The Twisty with RCR tailcap is 3.75 together. I'll measure my Twisty with the big thing on back in a short while.
Cool thanks. Did you get a chance to measure the R19670 Twisty?