Best Surefire 2x123 and 3x123

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking into buying yet another light...and I like 2x123 lights, current edc being a scorpion I love...but I just want a surefire...

My question is this: Which is their best dual 123? I like the way the Z2 looks, haven't yet felt a G2Z, but my question is, since their lamp assemblies are the same, their light output should be same as well right? And really, is it just cosmetic, or is one surefire dual 123 better than the other? And if so, which is the best? I like the way the centurions look, anything make them more special then a regular 6P or a Z2, or even an E1e? And what about the cheap G2? is it just the finish?

Same questions about 3x123s, I haven't made up my mind on dual or triple 123 light, wonder if my 5.11 tactical royal robbins pants can fit a triple into the "glock mag pocket"

And if it makes a difference, I should mention that I will be practicing shooting with these lights, both handguns and long guns...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Depends on what it's to be used for. For EDC, the E2e is perfect, for sheer survivability the M2 rocks. Etc. What are you going to use it for?

nihraguk

Enlightened
to answer one of your questions, all the 2x123 surefire lights that use the P60 and P61 lamp assemblies will basically have the same type of beam. the light output of the lights with pyrex lenses is supposed to be slightly more than those with lexan lenses, but YMMV.

eelnoraa

Newly Enlightened
I was going ask the similar question. "which is the best Surefire 2x123 and 3x123?" I have heard M3 and M2 are the best, but they are just too expansive. If my budget is less than $100, what you guys think?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M series are overpriced.

budget wise, I think tne G2Z is a steal. If you don't like the combat grip, I like the original 6P over the E2 series, because of the high output lamp option.

For a three cell light, I like the original 9P, which has been reintroduced by Surefire.

--dan

nihraguk

Enlightened
dano:
besides the LOTC and hex bezel i'm assuming the new 9P would have, does it retain the same barrel as the old 9P? i hope they didn't mill out a flat panel on each side and inscribe "surefire 9p".

the only thing i don't like about the new 6P is the milled out area on the barrel...i'd rather they left the barrel alone.

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
I'll use it just as an EDC...I keep an Ultrastinger closeby all the time too, just want something that I'll keep on me, simaler to my scorpion right now...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
An E2e is the smallest but you only have two lamp options. 60 lux and a lower output lamp. With the others mentioned, P6, P9, Z2 ect, you can go to a much higher output lamp at the cost of less run time. You have to make the choice between size and output for your needs.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, the newest 9P's have the milled section in the middle of the body.

Another idea: buy a 6P, and an a19 adaptor, along with a P90 (9volts) lamp assembly...Then he can use a 6V or 9V light, and still save the $$$...

--dan

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by dano:
Yup, the newest 9P's have the milled section in the middle of the body.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So then what difference is there left between the 9P and the D3? Just the pocket clip?
Or is the D3 being discontinued?

Rooster

Newly Enlightened
From what you have described, with the Ultra-Stinger not far from reach, I would want something supremely portable. If you haven't seen the difference in size between the E2e and all the other 2x123 light SF makes you really should see the difference in person. The E2e is tiny compared to a centurian or a 6p. The fact that you cannot equip the E2e with a lamp assembly brighter than 60 lumens shouldn't be a problem. Let's face it 60 lumens is bright! If you need to see a mile, well you yourself said you've got an Ultra-Sitger on deck. The E2e is very small, has the Pyrex lens, hard anodizing, and is very comparably bright to any 2x123 light out there. It is the size (lack of) that won me over. Any that have been mentioned would probably be fine, but IF the extra bulk of a larger light makes you more reluctant to carry it everywhere, then you don't have the perfect EDC.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
For reference:
a2-latest.jpg

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a Nitrolon that fits on your Glock and long guns with adapters, and can be carried in your pocket also. Just a thought. My original style 6P from about 10 years ago is perfect for shooting but without the shock isolation can't reliably be mounted on guns with heavy recoil. Another option....a Streamlight M-3 with the various mounts for your guns. GG&G makes a great one for the HK USP.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Most people have 2x123 Surefires, why not go 3 cells? They're only marginally longer (still smaller than MiniMag) and you get 100+ lumens with standard lamp assembly. Downside is battery changes will cost you 50% more.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I have to agree with the others regarding the E2e. If you have the US on deck, the E2e is small enough to carry comfortably on your person at all times. You would probably not even notice it most of the time.

If you are concerned about the $$$, then watch the B/S/T section of this board and make a deal.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like the E2(e) to carry and a large rechargeable for long range lighting (Ultrastinger). The problem with a 3x123 light is that it is too big to carry comfortably in your pocket and too small (105 lumens) for long reach unless you use a Turbohead. But if your going to do that, you might as well get a Tigerlight, 10X, M6 or an Ultrastinger.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the L1 is basically an E2e/KL1 that's been built from the ground-up.
In other words, a fully regulated Luxeon LED flashlight and not just a bezel that fits on an existing body.
What the difference is in performance I've no idea.