3 Watt Luxeon Star Specs

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got hold of the specs on the new 3 watt Luxeon Star. It has lux ratings at 700mA, and 1000mA. At 700mA, it goes as follows:

White, green, cyan: 51.7 Lumens
Blue: 13.
Royal blue: 275mW

At 1,000mA:

White: 72 lumens
Green, Cyan: 80 lumens
blue: 30
Royal blue: 450mW

Can't wait to get these! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wayne

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find these specs to be very odd. With the exception of the white, when you compare the 700ma and 1000mA lumens, they all show a greater percentage increase in output than the percentage increase in current causing it. This is unlike the known characteristics of the 1W ones. The 1W ones show decreasing efficiency with increasing currents which is consistant with what is to be expected from InGaN LEDs.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, they are now rated at 1000A!!! Woohoo. Improved Lumens too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
hotbeam said:
Yeah, they are now rated at 1000A!!! Woohoo. Improved Lumens too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
1,000 amps?!?!? Well son of a diddly... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif 1000mA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know what the specified forward vF is for the 3W ?

-TIA

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
I find these specs to be very odd. With the exception of the white, they all show a greater percentage increase in output than the percentage increase in current causing it. This is unlike the known characteristics of the 1W ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only telling you what the pdf spec file told me. Is it odd? I don't know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Wayne

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Slick said:
Does anyone know what the specified forward vF is for the 3W ?

-TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

Luxeon III Emitter 4 Document #: DS45 (7/03)
PRELIMINARY DATA SHEET

For white, it is as follows:
Min: 3.03
Typical: 3.76
Max: 4.47

Wayne

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
But we knew you could run them at 1000mA all along....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have run the 1W at up to 1.5 amps, with no problems. I have found that on the 1W, it is redundant to run it over 700mA, as nearly all the energy over that current is converted to heat.

I was very sceptical of the 3W, when I first received it, as it looks like a 1W on a 5W sink. However, the proof is in the brightness. I don't know all the techical stuff as to what they did, but it is definately not just a repackaged 1W. Running three of these 3W in my Tri-Star, it is definately much brighter than the three Q2 1W I have on another LED assembly. I don't think Lumileds would make false claims of brightness. If anything, they would understate the brightness.

Wayne j

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

That's a Graemlin dipicting me calling FIRST IN LINE!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
I find these specs to be very odd. With the exception of the white, they all show a greater percentage increase in output than the percentage increase in current causing it. This is unlike the known characteristics of the 1W ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. These would seem to be roughly 'P' bin (23.5 to 30.6 Lumens) parts as we now the 'one watt' stars. While such bins do exist, they are far from 'average'.

I smell marketing types at work......

Doug Owen

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with what Wayne says. Seems they have done something special to them. As DD 3x1W is not as bright as DD 3x3W in his tri-star. And I have heard many say over 700ma on 1W is pointless. But if these 3W increase output when you go to 1amp then allrighty then!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I think we are just used to thinking if it doesn't have more dies (grills ala 1w to 5w) then it's just overdriven. But think about old school 5mm led's vs todays. They look the same, but.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So it's more of an efficiency thing then I guess. Maybe the bond wires are bigger. Maybe on 1W's @ 700ma the bond wires were acting like a resistor?? Who knows? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug Owen said:
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. These would seem to be roughly 'P' bin (23.5 to 30.6 Lumens) parts as we now the 'one watt' stars. While such bins do exist, they are far from 'average'.

I smell marketing types at work......

Doug Owen

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug O: I think you missed my point. Rereading my post I can see that I did a poor job of expressing myself. I will edit the post for clarity.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:

Doug O: I think you missed my point. Rereading my post I can see that I did a poor job of expressing myself. I will edit the post for clarity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so. I see what you mean. They claim a 39% increase in light for a 42% increase in current? Neat trick at 'full blast' Maybe two different units?

Doug Owen

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:

So it's more of an efficiency thing then I guess. Maybe the bond wires are bigger. Maybe on 1W's @ 700ma the bond wires were acting like a resistor?? Who knows? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They know. And I suspect Christian knows (or could find out if I can interest him) if it's real. But I'm as close to sure as I can be without 'being there' that this is *not* the case. The rules of material science don't allow such things to 'just happen', and if by design, I'd expect to see it show up in existing product lines first, wouldn't you? They'd love to make some quick profits on existing product lines no doubt. Keep in mind, we are *not* their main customer base.

The CRADA Christian is working under with them is *specifically* for increased efficiency (and color control), it's highly unlikely that a breakthrough will show up in production rather than R&D.......

For sure bond wire resistance is not an issue WRT this stuff.

Doug Owen