Can't find LS4 & LS5 dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Can\'t find LS4 & LS5 dimensions

I've tried SEARCH and FAQ and still haven't found the information. I've also tried to find out why both upcoming lights will have polycarbonate lenses rather than pyrex and have not found answers to that either.

Can anyone fill me in on these issues?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can\'t find LS4 & LS5 dimensions

Lens choices -
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said in the Arc Flashlight FAQ:
From time to time, people occasionally ask us why we use Lexan in our lenses instead of Pyrex, OCL, sapphire or some other cool material. The pros for glass lenses is usually that they are harder to scratch and they transmit about 7-10% more light.

However, we believe Lexan is some of the best lens material around. The most important quality (beside transparency) in our opinion is its ability to withstand shock.

We have heard repeatedly about Pyrex and other glass/mineral lenses breaking. They chip, crack and plain shatter when the light gets used hard. Often, the lens will chip around the edge (under the bezel where you can't see it) because this is the weakest point. One small chip and that high priced light may no longer be waterproof.

Lexan can absorb more shock. They don't make bullet resistant "glass" out of Pyrex, they make it out of Lexan. Lexan is a brand name. The technical name is polycarbonate.

Sure, you can scratch the lens. But it is also easy to polish. The lens can be polished with toothpaste and a cotton pad.

As far as light transmission, we can easily make this up and more by simply using a more efficient converter and better quality LEDs. The end result is a high tech light that is brighter and more rugged than other lights in its size class.

Why do some manufacturers use Pyrex? Maybe because they buy a bunch of them for their incandescent lines. The old incandescent lights need them because they produce so much heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i love lexan, except on my M3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

Arc LS4 sizes:
this is from peter himself...

"LS4 will have a total length of 2.8". The head is 1" in diameter and the battery pack is 0.9" in diameter. The head is 1.440" long and the battery pack is 1.360" in length."

Status
Not open for further replies.