• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Throwers?

pmek5

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering which of Peak's lights best fits the category of a pocket size "thrower"? (Pyrenees? / El Capitan #8 Narrow? / Other?) I need your Peak user experience / expertise of whats available to educate me.

Thanks for your help.

DUMDUM

Enlightened
The Pyrenees is the best thrower in the small pocket lights. The NP300 with the combat body is not much larger and has a better throw yet.
Bob

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for what DUMDUM said.

The term "thrower" always gives me problems when used in the context of small, pocket-sized lights. You can't expect much throw from small diameter lights with too little room for more effective throwing optics. Step up in diameter and throw becomes an option, provided the pockets are big enough. For me (and my Levi's) the diameter of the Pyrenees is at about the limit for front pocket sized lights. The Night Patrol will fit comfortably in the back pocket of a pair of jeans. Either will fit well in about any jacket pocket except with the longer bodies. By the way, the Night Patrol with an 18500 body is a nice compact light.

When it comes to the smaller lights, the narrow El Cap throws much better than any of the older Peaks, but this may be less a matter of optics than it is a result of the better performing emitters now used. The slightly larger diameter Logan is better yet and for a true pocket sized light is my favorite by far.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
+2 for DUMDUM and Dances......IMO the LOGAN is a gread EDC/keychain thrower. It is a larger diameter, has a larger diameter optic. I have a SS head on a Ti body running an AW IMR RCR 123 at level #7 power option- that gives me great throw and decent run time as I top it off often.

pmek5

Newly Enlightened
The NP300 with the combat body is not much larger and has a better throw yet.
Bob

Bob,

I was looking at the NP300 on your site. I don't see the "combat" body listed, unless I am just missing something. What size batteries does the combat size take (18500 as mentioned by Dances with Flashlights?). I am not familiar with 18500, and it's equal to a standard primary battery.
Thanks

pmek5

Newly Enlightened
Bob,

I see that the NP400S "compact" is only 5.25" long. Curious how long the "Combat" version is?

DUMDUM

Enlightened
It is the same just a typo compact & combat the same. It is about 1/2 longer in the Adjustable model. The 400 & 300 are the same size
Bob