MAGLITE s6d015 vs s6d016 for security work

fatmoe

Newly Enlightened
First of all, I am new to this forum. I recently got out of the service and am doing security work at a local strip club. I bought me a Maglite 6D for around $30 including shipping from amazon

Obviously there are many better flashlights out there, LED's and fancy stuff like was issued to me overseas. I even have a co worker with a 4100 lumens flashlight, he can set stuff on fire with. Anyway, I'm an old fashioned type of guy and unfortunately, this flashlight is more of a baton/beat stick in case of emergencies, more than anything else.

my only question here is that I ordered the s6d015 and I saw that amazon has a s6d016 for sale also. I'm the type of guy that likes to do things right even with a $30 investment. I'll call Maglite 800# tomorrow morning to ask what the difference is, but in the meantime can anyone here let me know if I should just reject delivery of the one I got and re-order the next up model, or newer model or whatever it is.

Thank you

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the difference is the S6D015 is display box packaging, and the S6D016 is blister packaging.

You may be better off carrying a 3D LED Maglite with a Luxeon Rebel, it's smaller and brighter.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get the best of both worlds - club + LED by using a Mag conversion LED.

-Trevor

fatmoe

Newly Enlightened
You can get the best of both worlds - club + LED by using a Mag conversion LED.

-Trevor

You're absolutely right. I spent a couple hours this morning doing a little research, the Maglite I'm waiting for the in the mail already brings a 162 lumens White Star Krypton Lamp.

I think the only thing I can really do better is the terralux 30m-ex upgrade for around $70 that shoots up to 700 or so lumens.

You guys probably all know this stuff, but it's all new to me. and yeah I do have the feeling the only difference is the packaging between the s6d015 and s6d016

I figure this is part of my duty gear for work so might as well have the beat stick (not that I want to ever use it) and a powerful flashlight.

I don't even want to start thinking about rechargeable batteries yet.

Thank you both

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Go easy on discussions regarding flashlights as weapons here. Emphasis should be on flashlights as lighting instruments/tools.

Bill

GTP2K1

Newly Enlightened
It's a protective shield as much as a weapon... When someone swings at you with a bottle.. you throw up your arm to block and if you got a mag light in hand, handle running down the length of your forearm... your not gonna be hurting tomorrow. Certainly still a tool that can save you in many ways, from the dark, from the unknown, and sometimes from the known unfortunate event headed your way.

GPB

Enlightened
I don't have that Mag upgrade so my comments may not be valid, but consider the type of light you want. I think the 700 lumen mag drop in is a narrow beam distance kind of light. This may not be what you want if your primary use is going to be indoors. If you light up the club with that, you may find that your pupils close down and you can't see anywhere but in the flashlight beam. It could be like looking through a tube and you'd lose all your peripheral vision. Since the trouble you want to see could be all around you, this might do more harm than good. I'm sure there are other doormen on here that could give some first hand advice on this though, or at least other users of that Mag/LED combination. I'd seek them out before you spend some good money on a light that might not be a good fit for your what you've got in mind.

fatmoe

Newly Enlightened
I don't have that Mag upgrade so my comments may not be valid, but consider the type of light you want. I think the 700 lumen mag drop in is a narrow beam distance kind of light. This may not be what you want if your primary use is going to be indoors. If you light up the club with that, you may find that your pupils close down and you can't see anywhere but in the flashlight beam. It could be like looking through a tube and you'd lose all your peripheral vision. Since the trouble you want to see could be all around you, this might do more harm than good. I'm sure there are other doormen on here that could give some first hand advice on this though, or at least other users of that Mag/LED combination. I'd seek them out before you spend some good money on a light that might not be a good fit for your what you've got in mind.

You are absolutely right. $70 is quite a chunk of change to upgrade a $23 flashlight and it might do me more harm than good.

I was a little disappointed with the strength of the stock beam. I was looking at something under $20 for an upgrade at the TLE-6EXA 6EX 6EX. What confuses me is that the Maglite that I got says that stock it shoots out 162 lumens, and this little upgrade says it shoots out 140+ at the emitter. I'm sure it's gotta be better for some reason.

Can anyone clarify this a bit for me please?

Thank you

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the box on yours have ANSI FL1 specs? If so, those are pretty accurate numbers. FL1 specs are OTF lumens, which are more realistic than emitter lumens.

fatmoe

Newly Enlightened
Did the box on yours have ANSI FL1 specs? If so, those are pretty accurate numbers. FL1 specs are OTF lumens, which are more realistic than emitter lumens.

The box didn't say anything, but the ad below from amazon said the following. The "lamp" just looks like a regular little light bulb to me!

Specifications
White Star Krypton Lamp:LWSA601
Peak Beam Candlepower: Up to 30,000
Average Lumens:162.6
Battery Life Continuous On-Time: 9-10 Hours
Length:19 1/2" (495mm)
Barrel Diameter: 1 9/16" (39.67 )

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go a slightly different way - upgrade the Mag with a LED module, either Nite Ize or Terralux. It won't be a burning ray of light, but it'll be brighter and last longer than the incan.

Then, look at a reasonably priced tactical light - load that with CR123 primaries and only, only use it when you seriously need to light something up. You'll save wear-and-tear on the CR123s without buying rechargeables and have the best of both worlds.

And if your primary light fails for some reason, you have a backup ready to go.

-Trevor

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toss the bulb and get one of these for it. Cheapest way to get lots of lumens from a maglite.
They will work in any 2 to 6 cell (C or D) Maglite ... Dead easy to instal and a high floody output ... Cheap too ... My two are great ... Don't mess about with any other bulbs or LED's , at this price you just gotta get one ... If you decide to change to a 2 or 3 (C or D) Maglite , it will still work very well.

You can use it with AA cells in those C or D convertors too , spares are easy to carry ... I'd rather carry six Eneloop AA cells than the six D cells.

Get an ITP A2 as a backup too ... It runs on a single AA cell ... Great for EDC.