360 degree "diffuser-thingy"?

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if there was such a thing as an attachement for a flashlight that combined a frosted glass/plastic diffuser with an "inverted reflector" to spread the light everywhere, sort of like having a ligh with no reflector or head to cover the emitter at all.

My 3D model might explain better:

diffuser1.jpg

Might work just as well with just a frosted glass cylinder on top of the head, I don't know.

Once my Preon gets here I was planning on also using it as a light to leave on my nightstand while I walk across the room and turn off the ceiling light, so I find my way back. For that use a "light bulb" style throw would be the most beneficial.

Does anything like this exist, or what do people use for such situations?

DodgeyDIY

Newly Enlightened
i think you want something like the things on the end of the PLAYSTATION MOVE controllers, like an extra transparent ping pong ball..

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try making one,you could be surprised what you can come up with some items lying in drawers/shed/garage etc.The little chap stick cap that members use on smaller lights works a treat.

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened

I think you may be describing the new Fenix "Camping Lampshade" Diffuser.

I see it at 4sevens and fenix-store

Yep and yep :D

I will have to make one myself in any case, I was just curious to see if there were any commercial products. Tried searchign around but I had no clue what keywords to use.

Now the question becomes what shape it should take. I'm thinking that perhaps a stationary larger diffuser would be nice, and have the preon "dock" on top facing down. If I use a frosted plastic cup turned upside down with a hole for the Preon in the "bottom" and a reflector or mirror reflecting the beam up, that might work.... :huh:

Burgess

Flashaholic
As mcnair55 posted above,

the cap from a tube of Chap-Stick fits (and works) just FINE on a Preon !

I use this myself, and can give this simple mod a big :thumbsup:

Hope this is helpful to you.

lovecpf
_

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I saw a pic of someone using the ball from a roll-on deodorant as a make shift diffuser/lantern. It seem to do the intended job.

bob4apple

Enlightened
Hey guys,
You might be amazed how well something called "Frosty Privacy Screen" works. It's found at places that sell contact paper. I got mine at Home Depot, or maybe it was Lowe's.

It's intended purpose is to stick on windows where you need privacy but don't want to block out light. Although it is a clear plastic film, it has tiny lines etched in it that scatter light evenly in all directions, sort of the opposite of those plastic fresnel lenses that concentrate light.

The only downside is that it is sold in rolls, which would enough for about 1,000 flashlights. Ooops---wait a sec, for some of us, that would be perfect!

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
I wwent the easy route and used the lid from a glass of spices and some kneadite to make this. While it loses a bit of light from poiting straight down it's bright enough for what I need it to do even at the medium mode on my LEGO iTP A3. Once I get the parts for a full Preon 2 it will of course be even brighter.

I live in a small student apartment (sort of like a dorm room size, but not a dorm) so I have very limited space. My computer setup etc is right beside my bed and the keyboard pull-out shelf acts as my night table at night. I have a LED light set up for finding my way back from the light switch near the door but it's weak and the only place I could permanently put it was behind the PC monitor which blocks part of the light. I am also very short sighted so without contacts in it's very hard for me to find anything at night without something to go by ("follow the light")

I have a tritium vial and some norland 61 on the way so my plan is to make a small groove in the preon's pocket clip and put the tritium vial in there as a locator. Then with this new "dock" I can let it stand on the keyboard shelf and with the located I know that the clicky switch on the preon is just a couple of CM above the glowing tritium :D

room1.jpg

room2.jpg

IMG_5002.jpg

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
As luck would have it I dropped by the hardware store just now and in their bargain bin was an expensive wall mounted soap holder thingy that included a soap holder made of frosted glass. I bought it, flipped it over, attached some aluminum foil as a reflector on the bottom and hot glued the 2AA extension tube from my Romisen RC-N3 to the top since the Preon fits perfectly inside an AA tube

IMG_5003.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

Creepo

Newly Enlightened
Your first 3D model also reminded me of the upcoming Fenix camping diffuser.
But this...

... now this is a pretty nifty set-up. :drool:
Though personally I'd be kinda worried about the outer tube scratching the Preon. Perhaps some sort of a PVC tube would have been better? :shrug:

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
Your first 3D model also reminded me of the upcoming Fenix camping diffuser.
But this...

... now this is a pretty nifty set-up. :drool:
Though personally I'd be kinda worried about the outer tube scratching the Preon. Perhaps some sort of a PVC tube would have been better? :shrug:

Rolled piece of paper between the light and tube prevents that ;)

notsofast

Enlightened
I like do your resourceful thinking and it is a pretty cool idea. But why don't you just carry the little light to the light switch and back to bed?

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
I like do your resourceful thinking and it is a pretty cool idea. But why don't you just carry the little light to the light switch and back to bed?

Well, I need a light not only to go back and forth but also if I wake up etc and need to find something. having this "dock" will let the Preon stand up poiting the locator tritium straight at me so it's visible and I can easily click the top of it (since it's stationary) without having to find the right end etc.

I still need to make a smaller attachable diffuser.. I plan on using the Preon when out at night as a beacon for traffic, running it in beacon modeI was thinking a colored frosted glass bead or something like that