Highest surface brightness red LEDs

Michael_qrt

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I have a specific project where I have to focus down red light from an LED to get the maximum intensity on a surface. Normally a laser would be the go for this but I've had problems with laser light being coherent, so I want to try an LED. Basically what I need is the highest surface brightness possible. I can drive it as hard as the LED can take it with good cooling but I need the central wavelength around 630nm, so I'm not really interested in perceived brightness but actual power emitted per unit area.

From my research I've looked at the Luxeon K2, Luxeon rebel, Cree XR-C and XP-C in red. After pouring over the datasheets it looks like the K2 might be able to be driven the hardest and the available bins seem to be as efficient as the others, but the K2 is also quite old so I'm wondering if there has been much improvement in the state of red LEDs in the past few years.

Does anyone have any comments on the state of red led technology? I'm going to start by ordering a few red K2s I think.