Energizer Lithium Advanced vs Ultimate for Fenix LD15 use

Z

z_sage

From some research I've seen here, it appears that the Advanced and Ultimate cells perform similarly except at highish current draw where the Ultimate cell lasts longer.

What I'm wondering is whether LED flashlights like my Fenix LD15 would draw enough current to hit the threshold where I'd notice longer battery life from the Ultimate cell over the Advanced.

The gist of my question is, does anyone know whether I can get the same performance out of Energizer Advanced as the Ultimate in this application?

I have some other LED lights that I'm considering stocking lithiums near for emergency use. I have NIMH LSD cells that I use in my day-to-day lights, but between work and keeping up with my wife and several kids, I'm not up to trying to recharge and rotate them periodically for such emergency use. That's why I'm looking at Lithiums, and trying to get the optimal AA and AAA cells for these lights. If the Advanced would perform the same I can save some $$ :)

stickx

Newly Enlightened
Resurecting an older thread since I was going to ask the same thing.

CKOD

Enlightened
The Advanced are rated for 1.5A constant discharge, the Ultimate, 2.0A constant. Their datasheets dont have similar graphs (tisk tisk energizer) so that makes it hard to compare, but I'll assume they are both around the same capacity (~3Ah) since even the ultimate and alkaline are the same at light loads. If a light has a runtime of <2 or 3 hours, I'd look at the ultimate, if it was more estimated runtime then that, the advanced will probably be fine.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix LD15 claims 117 lumens from an xp-g R4. I don't know if those are ANSI lumens, OTF lumens, or initial emitter lumens.
350mA to the diode gives 130 lumens, minus reflector/window losses gives you 117 lumens. The Vf is roughly 3 at 350mA, so that is 1 watt.
The Energizer twins diverse in output power above 1/2 watt, so you'd get better performance with the L91 over EA91.
It should be over 50% more runtime, if you use high mode exclusively.

stickx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Michael, that is the analysis I was looking for. Now I just have to guesstimate how much time will be on full power vs lower.