Fenix LD01- current regulated now, or only the SS?

Ice

Enlightened
I took the risk and ordered an LD01 with an R4 LED (which made me believe it had to be rather new).
And to my delight the light seems to be current regulated, there's no PWM visible (very much in contrast to the older LD01)!!!

So if you get an LD01 with an R4 LED I would bet it is current regulated! :)

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Yep, I 've got one of those.
No PWM.
I really like that little light BUT it is rather green in the tint. And I don't like green!
What does your look like, Ice?

Ice

Enlightened
Mine is actually quite ok, the tint is on the (very) cold side, maybe with the slightest amount of green in it, but nothing to complain about. I also have an R5 SS which is rather green and I was a little disapointed with that!

In comparison the R2 version (with PWM) has a perfect tint, slightly warm and with very good colour rendition.
It also throws a little further/ has a smaller hot spot than the R4 version.

You can't have everything I guess... :)

Last edited:

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
Was it ever confirmed that the LD01 R4 is current regulated?

Does that mean it can't take a 10440?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh interesting, I missed that these were moving to current regulated driver. Does any one know if the CC driver the levels are better with Lithium? My existing one does not have much difference in the levels when my Lithium cell is fresh.

I picked up a new one on that recent SS deal, I may have to replace the one on the keychain with the newer model if the tint is nice.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it ever confirmed that the LD01 R4 is current regulated?

Does that mean it can't take a 10440?

Yes, it is confirmed that the LD01 R4 is current regulated.

rdWxzp

oRS5Dw

" Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness"

Personally I'd be hesitant to use a 10440 cell, but if someone is willing to risk it in the interests of experimentation...

Last edited:

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
The specs on the instruction sheet that came with my LD01 stainless says it's a "Cree XP-G LED (R5)" and "Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness" and the package claims "Max 77 Lumens"

I notice the text on that spec pic says Max 72 lumens. Is the R5 "better" or "worse" than the R4 (I know some things are subjective) and is this "current regulated"?

I'm just learning all the technical aspecs of being a flashlight addict, so thanks for the patience.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
The specs on the instruction sheet that came with my LD01 stainless says it's a "Cree XP-G LED (R5)" and "Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness" and the package claims "Max 77 Lumens"

I notice the text on that spec pic says Max 72 lumens. Is the R5 "better" or "worse" than the R4 (I know some things are subjective) and is this "current regulated"?

I'm just learning all the technical aspecs of being a flashlight addict, so thanks for the patience.

The R4 and R5 are to do with which BIN Cree place the emitters in depending on their luminous flux, or efficacy.
See http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampxp_b&l.pdf
R4 binned emitters are between 130 and 139 lumens @ 350 mA.
R5 binned emitters are between 139 and 148 lumens @ 350 mA.

Your LD01 SS is current regulated rather than PWM.
See http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=132

Essentially, in any production run of emitters, some are brighter than others at a given amount of power input. And some have different chromaticity tints also.
So after a batch of production, Cree tests each emitter, and bins it based on the characteristics it displays, in terms of efficacy and chromaticity.
So the type of emitter in the LD01 R4 and the LD01 SS R5 are both of the Cree XP-G family, and are identical other than the R5 being of slightly higher output for a given power input.

The current regulating means the circuit increases the current draw as the voltage of the battery decreases in order to maintain the same brightness.
Because output in Watts is equal to Voltage X Amps.
PWM on the other hand pulses the light on and off (or bright and dim) very fast to reduce the apparent brightness. The down side of that is if the PWM is too slow it is visible to the naked eye, and it can be heard as a high pitched whine sometimes. and if the light is moved fast you can see the pulses.

Last edited:

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
The R4 and R5 are to do with which BIN Cree place the emitters in depending on their luminous flux, or efficacy.
See http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampxp_b&l.pdf
R4 binned emitters are between 130 and 139 lumens @ 350 mA.
R5 binned emitters are between 139 and 148 lumens @ 350 mA.

Your LD01 SS is current regulated rather than PWM.
See http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=132

Essentially, in any production run of emmitters, some are brighter than others at a given amount of power input. And some have different chromaticity tints also.
So after a batch of production, cree tests each emitter, and bins it based on the characteristics it displays, in terms of efficacy and chromaticity.

Woot, I'm learning!

Edit: HAHAHA according to this the stainless LD01 is more "romantic" If i'd known that I'd have paid more. :)

201112091837479.jpg

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
... more "romantic" ...

I don't quite know how that got lost in the translation... How being capable of standing up on its tail equates to it being "romantic" I don't know.
Perhaps they were envisioning candle lit dinners for two with the shiny LD01 SS as the tailstanding centrepiece as the romantic talking point...
I don't know, but if she finds cool flashlights to be romantic, then she's my type of girl :D