Sunwayman V10R Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman V10R - Submitted for consideration for the review forum

Good versatility and excellent design. Sunwayman once again swings for the fence with their V10R. Is complete variability a gimmick or the new brilliant lighting concept?

Sunwayman V10R

Meat and Potatoes

The Sunwayman M10R was, in my opinion, an absolutely excellent light. Small, 1 CR123A, with the crème de la crème of user interfaces, the control ring. Having 3 outputs easily selectable from any point, even when the light is off, is such an excellent concept that it is rarely exceeded in my mind. The V10R however does just that. Why should I be content to settle for someone else's concept of what my perfect light level should be for any given situation? Everywhere I look using a flashlight, my needs are likely going to be slightly different. Often times with preset modes we have to find the light level that is "close enough" to what we actually need, with either the light level or the runtime suffering from the lack of options. This has been eliminated with a small, but growing number of lights. The V10R definitely fits into that category.

Complete variability, labelled as infinite, is the name of the game now. We've actually seen it before a number of times in the form of selectable single mode lights, as well as lights with varying degrees of programmability. None of those options though are as gratifyingly simple to use as the variable control ring. Its operation is so organic and intuitive that it is instantly second nature. This elegant interface just disappears into the light making it second nature to operate. The control ring offers just enough tension to hold its position nicely, even in your pocket, while still being very easy to operate. Even better is the ability to preset your output to at least an approximate level before turning the torch on. This eliminates accidentally blinding yourself because it activated with too much power for your surroundings. Bare minimum, you can always just start it at the minimum since it is just a simple twist to achieve any output you desire. Your exact level of illumination is a flick of the wrist away.

Cree XP-G

Once again, packing an R5 bin Cree XP-G focused with a very lightly textured reflector, the V10R maintains a relatively floody beam with very few artifacts that is excellent for most EDC activities. The XP-G's beam emission pattern naturally creates an excellent transition between spot and spill for an absolutely astounding beam pattern. I am more than a little impressed at the quantity of light being output from this little light. It is rated at 210 ANSI FL1 Lumens and it appears to live up to every one. Potentially more astounding is its incredible low level. Rated at a mere 1 lumen, I have many suspicions that it is far lower than that. As a bonus, the V10R has a nice "soft start" feature that vanquishes any preflash, saving your night vision. Also of note, there are no strobe, SOS or other blinky modes, hidden or otherwise to accidentally stumble onto. The only outputs available are constant brightness variations.

As was somewhat expected, the V10R completely lives up to the now approaching legendary Sunwayman build quality. The machine work is just as superb here as I have seen on any previous Sunwayman lights back to when they were still called SunwayLED. The body of the V10R is identical to the previous M10R, with all of the advancements coming "under the hood" as it were. Even the anodizing is just as superbly thick as ever. Mine has already been subjected to a number of the daily dings common to an EDC, weathering them like a champion with hardly a mar.

Sunwayman V10R

Constructive Criticism

The V10R comes with a pocket clip but most unfortunately it is once again the tension mount variety. This clip has been designed quite specifically for this light I think, and allows it to be deep carried in the pocket flush with the tail of the light. However, protrudes to the point that it starts to get in the way a little with operation of the control ring. Its little tabs that prevent it somewhat from scratching up the anodizing when installed or removed serve to disrupt the flow of the light's body and feel almost frustratingly sharp in hand. I really would prefer a clip with a more permanently secure attachment and less offensive protrusions. Something threaded into the tailcap holes would be best. In the mean time, the V10R lives happily at the bottom of my pocket, clipless.

Though the action of the control ring is exquisitely smooth as silk, the actual location of that ring can occasionally be a little difficult to find purely by feel in the dark. Unfortunately this suggestion has the side effect of potentially ruining the beautifully sleek aesthetic lines that the V10R possesses. Since this is a bit of a minor inconvenience rather than a severe problem, it should be considered only lightly.

Sunwayman V10R

Conclusions

Easily pocketable, well made, and what very well might be the best user interface created thus far. This light has quickly become one of my absolute favorites.

Provided for review by the kind folks at Sunwayman.

Last edited:

jjoustfrost

Newly Enlightened
I think SWM really outdid themselves with this light. perfect edc size, UI, and brightness

also, you mention that own/owned a M10R. Would you say the M10R and V10R are essentially the same flashlight with different UI's (same brightness on high)?

thanks

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. It is also one of my favourite lights. I agree that the control ring is a little difficult to find. I solved the problem by wrapping a thin peice of velcro stick on tape around the control ring. The textured tape makes it easy to find and turn that smooth control ring with just a touch of your thumb.

Budman231

Enlightened
Both my son and I have V10R's. They are great lights. I do wish the control ring had some knurling on it because it is not easy to "find" when adjustments are needed to the brightness. Its almost like the wanted to hide the ring. Overall I agree with the review. Very nice for the price...

Bud

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think SWM really outdid themselves with this light. perfect edc size, UI, and brightness

also, you mention that own/owned a M10R. Would you say the M10R and V10R are essentially the same flashlight with different UI's (same brightness on high)?

thanks
Well yes, I own a M10R, but mine is actually one of the older R2 bin XR-E's that they first came out with. Its not really a comparison. That being said, I do believe that they probably are basically just a UI difference between their current models.

DimmerD

Enlightened
Nice review AardvarkSagus!
Down a few paragraphs you wrote this line: "Even the anodizing is just as superbly thick as ever. Mine has already been subjected to a number"
May I ask a number of what?

mrlysle

Enlightened
Ditto!

The Titanium version V10R - Ti is drool worthy too! http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201012/46.html

I hopefully have one coming the first of this week with the Ti AA extension. Can't wait! I hope it's as nice as everyone seems to think. And what a great review AardvarkSagus! You're getting awefully good at reviews. And super nice pics as well! Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. It is also one of my favourite lights. I agree that the control ring is a little difficult to find. I solved the problem by wrapping a thin peice of velcro stick on tape around the control ring. The textured tape makes it easy to find and turn that smooth control ring with just a touch of your thumb.

great idea! I also thought of putting grip tape aka skateboard tape.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hey Aardvark,

Nice review, and awesome light! :) I was just wondering, how low would you estimate the lowest mode to be? On GoingGear's video, the Ti version of this light seemed to go much lower than the regular version, so I was hoping the Aluminium actually does have an extremely low-low.

Thanks!
Woodentsick

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I haven't actually done low light low mode testing in comparison to other known lights! I'll have to make a note to do that. It is kind of brighter if memory serves, but I'd be surprised to find out that it is a whole lumen OTF. I'll try to pit it against a 4Sevens Quark 123-2 R2 (0.2 lumens) and my Spartanian II (0.5 lumens?) and maybe a couple others tonight. The real test will be comparing it to the NiteCore IFE2. That thing is crazy dim.

JeffN

Enlightened
I received my V10R Al yesterday and, being fairly unsophisticated, tested the low against my Jetbeam TCR2 using my Mark I eyeball looking directly at the emitter at the distance of about one foot. Note that I have better-than-average night vision and the corresponding higher-than-average sensitivity to light. (The former is a good thing, the latter not so much.)

The TCR2 barely glows (similiar to my titanium Surefire Titan) and I can look at it without any discomfort -- the luminescent dots on my Submariner are brighter. I can also look directly at the V10R, but it's on the verge of discomfort. It's far lower than the Al version in the GoingGear video and as AardvarkSagus says, I'd be surprised if it's even one lumen OTF.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just did an impromptu lineup of a few of my dimmest capable lights (which caused a virtually audible eye roll from my wife upon finding out I was ranking my lights by how DIM they could go). I think the findings will be pleasantly surprising.

While I was using the same Mark I eyeball that JeffN mentioned, I unfortunately don't have the wherewithal to compare against a Submariner. ;) Keep in mind this was nothing but a subjective ranking based on about 6" from a wall. Beam shape was all over the board for this one, though tints surprisingly were fairly close. The lineup for me from dimmest to brightest was:

- NiteCore IFE2
- Sunwayman V10R
- ArmyTek Predator
- ThruNite Neutron 2AA
- Spartanian II
- 4Sevens Quark 123-2 (Original R2 version)
- Sunwayman M10R
- 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 (2nd R5 version)

Hope this answers some questions for you.

chaoss

Enlightened
Well i went ahead and ordered one (Ti) because of this review (thanks Aardvark) and all of the positive information this light has garnered.
Build quality is superb, LED is perfectly centered & tint seems to be pure white.
This one in Ti may be a little heavy for me to consider it a true EDC but i'm sure it will fit in to the rotation at some point.

I also did a rough LOW-LOW 'subjective' comparison with my other on hand lights and the results are below in order of lowest to brightest.

Nitecore EX11.2
Sunwayman Ti V10R
Zebralight SC51fw (frosted)
Liteflux LF3XT

Note: AardvarkSagus, if my post is in any way stepping on your great review thread please let me know and i will promptly delete it :thumbsup:.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i went ahead and ordered one (Ti) because of this review (thanks Aardvark) and all of the positive information this light has garnered.
Build quality is superb, LED is perfectly centered & tint seems to be pure white.
This one in Ti may be a little heavy for me to consider it a true EDC but i'm sure it will fit in to the rotation at some point.

I also did a rough LOW-LOW 'subjective' comparison with my other on hand lights and the results are below in order of lowest to brightest.

Nitecore EX11.2
Sunwayman Ti V10R
Zebralight SC51fw (frosted)
Liteflux LF3XT

Note: AardvarkSagus, if my post is in any way stepping on your great review thread please let me know and i will promptly delete it :thumbsup:.
Not in the least. Discussion is always welcome in my threads. Those're a few lights I haven't yet had the honor of testing so it helps broaden the scope some.