Help upgrading flashlight?

mohammed

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have an old SpiderFire flashlight laying around with a P7 led in it.
So I thought upgrading the led to an XML led and got a xml led from a friend :)

So i went checking out the flashlight to replace the led and I noticed the flashlight is direct driven.

Now my problem is... that the "board" around the led is alot smaller then the P7 one.
So anyone got any suggestions how to fix this :p (One thing I do know is that I have to solder the red wire to the + on my board hahaha)

Pictures:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
It looks like the stock P7 is on a 20mm round board, while the XM-L is on a 16mm board. Assuming the P7 board has thermal paste underneath it..., remove the P7 board, clean off the old thermal compund, and then attach the new 16mm board with thermal adhesive like Arctic alumina.

mohammed

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so if I am right..

Desolder the red wire.. unscrew the board.
Remove old board + thermal paste, and put new thermal paste.
Place the 16mm board, and try (prolly have to grab a new wire) to solder it to the + on the new board.

With the - nothing has to be done when direct drive?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, LEDs run on electrical current, not magic, so you'd better connect the - to the pill, just like the old one..

onetrickpony

Enlightened
Well, LEDs run on electrical current, not magic, so you'd better connect the - to the pill, just like the old one..

So that's what I've been doing wrong. Too bad I already threw out a few Spy's thinking they were just broken.

mohammed

Newly Enlightened
Well that I noticed too ;) Don't worry haha..

It's just thats my 1st time doing replacement stuff with flashlights haha.

Thanks for all help, I am sure it will work out just fine :p Otherwise I will have an empty host lol