Spark SL6-800CW / SL5-220CW & SL5-190NW

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked mine up from the post office this morning. I apologize for the picture quality (not that I know how to take quality pictures anyhow :p). I haven't had time to play with it much.

It came housed in a black box with removable top. Instructions and a light styrofoam covered the light and accessories. Accessories include some spare o-rings, a frosted lens, and carrying case.
IMG_2647.jpg

This light is very small and compact. The dimensions are posted with the item description, and despite seeing them I was still surprised at how small this light truly is. I guess I am just used to seeing the majority of 18650 lights being a bit long. It's a touch shorter than the iTP R01.
IMG_2623.jpg

The crenelations (if that's the right word, somebody please tell me if it's not) on the tail allow for tailstanding. There is a small hole in one to allow for keychain carry. :crackup:

Actually it does appear quite small to use for a lanyard, as well as thin. (I'll see if I can add a picture of this later.
IMG_2629.jpg

A shot of the business end. The die is well centered on mine.
IMG_2626.jpg

The pocket clip is not reversible and only allows for bezel down carry.
IMG_2643.jpg

There are springs on both ends, flat tops do indeed work.
IMG_2642.jpg

As for the light itself: There are some that are not happy with the memory function. Personally, I like it. What I feel could be improved upon is the momentary function. The user must press, hold, and release the switch in 1sec intervals to use the momentary function. Holding the switch any longer will cause the light to start ramping through it's brightness levels.

That said - It feels very solid and well constructed, and yet still lightweight. With battery, mine weighs in at 4.2oz. The dual switches allow for activation while carrying normal or overhand. The modes are well spaced out, still I would have loved to see a lower low. Tint on mine is white, no green present here...or donut hole either. Please note, the head heats up quick and gets hot about a minute into turbo. Can't wait until tomorrow night (family function today will prevent me from trying it out tonight).

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Spark SL6-800CW

Thanks for the mini-review.

1) Do both buttons function the same way?
2) Is the reflector removable?
3) Are the threads for the tailcap square threads?
4) If you have other XM-L lights, how does light output compare to the others?
5) Is the LED accessible?
6) How is the LED fixed in place? Glue or screws?
7) Is the head detachable from the battery tube?
8) Did you consider the Zebralight SC600?

thanks

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haha, well now I really have to laugh at myself. It occurred to me that the small hole may be to place a small split ring to attach a lanyard to the light. I also had not noticed this was present on the Predator until I was lining the lights up for comparison.

Thanks for the mini-review.

1) Do both buttons function the same way?
2) Is the reflector removable?
3) Are the threads for the tailcap square threads?
4) If you have other XM-L lights, how does light output compare to the others?
5) Is the LED accessible?
6) How is the LED fixed in place? Glue or screws?
7) Is the head detachable from the battery tube?
8) Did you consider the Zebralight SC600?

thanks
Hi carl :)

I'll do my best to answer what I can right now. Hopefully others can chime in on what I can't answer just yet..if not, I'll say later.

1) Yes, both buttons both control the UI the same. Press, hold, release for momentary. Press and release (or click) to turn on. Press and hold to begin the ramp sequence from L-M1-M2-H. Double click at any point, even from off, to go straight into Turbo.
2) The reflector slides right out.
3) Yes, the threads are square.
4) At the moment I only have the EagleTac T20C2 MKII XM-L (original 500lm module) and the Thrunite Neutron 1A. When I first received those two, I was disappointed in the EagleTac's tint. It was on the pink side while the Thrunite's tint is a pure white. I did compare the Spark to the Thrunite. The Thrunite Turbo/Max mode is a tad brighter than the Spark at M2. Spark's high and turbo sets some distance apart between the two. The only other difference to my eyes is in the spill. The Spark has a hot white spot and has a light pinkish spill, while the Thrunite's overall color remains white. Edit: On second thought it might not even be that, it might be that the spill isn't as bright as the spill on the Thrunite. Perception and memory and all heh, I'll have to check later to be sure.
5) Led can be accessed after removing the bezel and reflector.
6) I can see no screws so the Led looks to be glued.
7) The head does come off. I was incorrect in thinking it was not detachable and now feel much shame. I only noticed this from the video posted by f22shift here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rk-SL6-800CW&p=3643065&viewfull=1#post3643065) :eek:
8) Definitely, and it is still on the list. :D However, I am unsure if I want to go with cool white or wait for neutral. From the appearance I do have to give the edge to the SL6-800, granted I have yet to hold the SC600 and my opinion may very well change. Zebralight will have the edge in UI, it's one of my favorites. Another light I am looking forward to would be the edc light that Armytek is currently working on. I can't help but get excited to think of a light about this size with programming capabilities (hopefully present in their edc line).

Edited to add responses to questions: 2,5, and 6; correction to question: 7.

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened

I just opened up a 740NW. My Redilast 2600s are too wide to fit in the tube, so I'm waiting for the Solarforce 2400 that was included with my order by the dealer to charge up before really playing with it. I'm going to have to get a few good quality, smaller diameter 18650 cells.

A few tiny spots of missing anodizing, no obvious lube on the threads/o-ring, and while I can take off the bezel, I can't knock the clear lens free to put in the supplied alternative frosted one. Otherwise, it looks very nice and feels solid. I really like the two switches, which make using and adjusting the light in a wide variety of holds very easy. Last used mode memory is nice. Good tint to the neutral white xm-l.

yowzer

Enlightened

Okay, played with the light a bit, though I haven't taken it outside yet because it's raining.

Wide beam with lots of spill and a diffuse hot spot -- it seems more like a medium/short range light, not a thrower. Nice tint, like I mentioned before. Good spacing of output levels. Haven't really used it on max, but it gets hot pretty fast on high too.

The tail switch is deeply recessed, which is nice for avoiding accidental activation, but makes it a bit awkward to press. Luckily, it doesn't take much pressure. The UI... could stand to be improved. I don't like the momentary (As long as you hold down the switch for less than a second) on. It's too easy to click to turn the light on and be just a bit slow releasing the switch and have it go off again. Cycling through output levels when you push and hold could be a bit faster. My Zebralight SC50 cycles 3 times through its 3 levels in the time it takes the Spark to go through once through its 4.
Something I think would be interesting to try is having the tail switch be a momentary on at the memorized level, and the side switch control constant on and level.

Aside from being too small in diameter to fit my 18650s, and the momentary on and slow cycling of the UI, I really like the light.

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice catch there!Waiting for more night photos and impressions if you can!
hey ergotelis, ernsanada just now posted some night shots over on the marketplace in the dealers forum. :)

azzid

Newly Enlightened

My Redilast 2600s are too wide to fit in the tube
What the? I just ordered a pair of redilast 2600 for this light and read that It won't fit lol. Good thing is that i have several Solarforce 2400's in my stash.

Has anyone tried to power it up using a trustfire 2400(red/black) on turbo mode?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice review, moshow9

Thanks a lot.

78083091.jpg

From the left to the right, ThruNite Scorpion, Spark SL6-740NW, Yezl M6-XML.

Main spec. for each light :
- ThruNite Scorpion : Cree XM-L T6, Cool White, SMO, 1x18650
- Spark SL6-740NW : Cree XM-L T5, Neutral White, OP, 1x18650
- Yezl M6-XML : Cree XM-L T6, Cool White, SMO, 1x18650

The beamshot conditions :
- Distance : about 7m (from the target to the head of the light)
- Brightness : All Max. mode
- ISO200, F2.8, 1/6sec
72242802.jpg

Control Shot (1/6sec)
40412371.jpg

Scorpion (1/6sec)
74538354.jpg

SL6-740NW (1/6sec)
46679267.jpg

M6-XML (1/6sec)
23120207.jpg

Comparing all
The super mode is very bright and the beam has not only large hot spot but very wider side spill for its head size.
It's a shame that my protected 18650(2600mAh) cells(Jil Lite, NLTEC) can't turn on the light by using tailcap switch.
I love the nice yellow tint, lovly design and compact size. The beam pattern is great.

azzid

Newly Enlightened

@moshow9
Nice review and size comparison and light detail photos.

@candle lamp
Thanks for the beamshot comparison, surely proves that the sl6 even in neutral flavor is a very bright light

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened

The Yezl looks good also. Can you run that light awhile before it gets too hot?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Moshow - thanks for your answers to my questions.

Candle lamp - great comparison pics!

The ST6 puts out quite a bit of light for such a small package at 3A current. I think I read somewhere that the Thrunite Scorpion was running at 1.5A on high.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Yezl looks good also. Can you run that light awhile before it gets too hot?

Yezl has a larger & deeper reflector, and it's a beam thrower.
SL6 on super mode gets hot soon within 1~2 minutes.
Super mode automatically steps down to max. mode after 5 minutes for protection.

LowFlux

Enlightened

I read on another thread that longer 18650 cells (2600, 2900 mah) cause the tail switch to not work. I confirmed this on my Spark with my Readilast 2900s, only the side switch worked.

However another poster mentioned that installing the battery by removing the head instead of installing the battery through the tail solves this problem. I confirmed that this is true! :twothumbs

I've had my Spark for 4 nights and have found the UI to work flawlessly. It is a lot of light in a small package!!

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the aw 2900mah cells fit?
On mine it fit just fine, with both switches working properly. That was the battery I used to try it out while my Solarforce charged up.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review!

I have a light on the way.

Question for you guys on the user interface... (calling the levels) LOW - MEDIUM - HIGH - SUPER

If you start out in LOW with a press and hold and the LOW gets set in memory mode, how do you get back to HIGH? Do you have to press and hold and ramp to get all the way back to the HIGH level to get set in memory mode. I believe you can always double click to go to SUPER but getting back to HIGH seems a pain if I'm understanding system correctly!

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review!

I have a light on the way.

Question for you guys on the user interface... (calling the levels) LOW - MEDIUM - HIGH - SUPER

If you start out in LOW with a press and hold and the LOW gets set in memory mode, how do you get back to HIGH? Do you have to press and hold and ramp to get all the way back to the HIGH level to get set in memory mode. I believe you can always double click to go to SUPER but getting back to HIGH seems a pain if I'm understanding system correctly!
When first putting in a battery and clicking the button (without holding) the light will come on in low mode. If you were then to click and hold the button down, the light will begin it's ramp process through the following modes: Low, Medium-1, Medium-2, and High. Double clicking at any point with the light on or off will set it in turbo mode.

If you release the switch during the ramp process and stop on Medium-2 and then click the button to turn the light off, when you click the button (without holding) to turn it back on the light will return to Medium-2. If you turn the light off while in it's turbo mode, it will return to High mode when you turn it back on. Inserting a new battery, or returning from locking out the light, will always start the light in low mode.

Now I've read that this UI is implemented differently than the one that is present on Sparks Headlamps. With the flashlight series: at any point you press and hold the switch to begin the ramp process, the light will always start the ramp process from low. With the headlamp series: at any point you press ad hold the switch to begin the ramp process, the light will continue from the mode you are on to the next one in sequence.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the aw 2900mah cells fit?

I read on another thread that longer 18650 cells (2600, 2900 mah) cause the tail switch to not work. I confirmed this on my Spark with my Readilast 2900s, only the side switch worked.

I've tried using mine with AW and Redilast 18650 without any issue with both switches.

Edit: I found out Redilast does not work for the tail switch all the time, I need to remove and insert back again to get it to work sometimes.

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened

Just received mine and first impressions are good. It is even smaller than what I thought it would be, both switches operate as designed and feel the same. I like the memory mode. The momentary mode is pretty much useless because it will start to ramp. I can live with that if I have to. The clip is removable and reversable. Nice floody beam and color seems nice. On the holster they could have saved the cheesey logo(I'll find a Sharpie.) stitching and put on a D-ring and removable beltloop. All in all though it seems like a nice light.

Last edited: