Fixed my Novatac 120P (pics and details inside)

midget

Enlightened
Hey all. Some of you may remember a previous thread I had started regarding my dead, modded, novatac 120P. Reference here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t-happened-to-my-Novatac-!-!-!-!-!-(with-pics)

WELL. First off, my hat is off to the members of this forum. The seller that sold me the light offered me a refund, which was generous. The modder that did the original LED upgrade offered to troubleshoot the light for me. And member bansuri sent me two SSC P4's in the mail, free of charge, as well as gave me some great info on repairing this thing myself. Thanks again, everyone!

So here we go!

i used a pair of hemostats to unscrew the lockring loose in the head. the red anodized pill came right out.

l4ZCfl.jpg

here's what it looks like with the dead LED removed.

3Qkyal.jpg

there was some speculation as to what caused the LED to burn out. after cracking this thing opened, my assumption is that the terminal to the LED made contact with the metal siding and shorted the battery.

added a lil bit of thermal compound.

yJt0Bl.jpg

popped the new LED in the pill

29Nj7l.jpg

all together and running!

nTAHBl.jpg

i hope the pics will help future members get an idea on how to modify/fix their own novatacs.

again, props to the gents on this forum who went out of their way to help me out.

my next project is to find another LED with more output. my understanding is the SSC P4 is the stock LED that is used in the novatac, so that means this thing is now pushing 120 lumens again.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Please resize your pictures.
Images... If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.
Norm

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done, and thanks for the photos and explanation. Now I'll know what to do if I ever decide to venture down that path with my 120P :).

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm bookmarking this, I have a Novatac on route, and will want to mod it after a month or so. :D
would an XML work in this? How big can the die be?

midget

Enlightened
norm,

sorry about that. images have been resized.

carpentry hero,

my understanding is the base of the LED can max at 8mm. if you get an LED that is larger than 8mm, there is a chance you can cut it down to fit. i'm planning on doing this, and have a few LED's coming in from dealextreme (so it'll take like a month to get here).

i have considered buying a K2 to drop in, but the only places that i can find that sells them charges a rip-off on shipping. i found some K2's, for about 6 bucks, but they want 5 bucks to ship it. maybe i'll break down one day and get one, but for now im penny pinching and don't want to invest an equivalent amount of money on shipping something than for the item itself.

hope the pics helped everyone!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bansuri also gave me some great advices for moding led board. A great CPF member !

midget

Enlightened
alrighty, i plugged a K2 in there...

luxeon k2 tffc cool white emitter, 180 lumens.

Xktvbl.jpg

blq5Cl.jpg

hOtV4l.jpg

0V87jl.jpg