• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Could you build me a high capacity Li-On pack for a dive cannister lgiht?

jhcolman

Newly Enlightened
Hi:

i hope that you can help me out. I need a battery pack for a dive cannister light.

The cannister measures 24.5 cm x 4 cm interior diameter dimension. The cannister has springs that compress approx 1 cm at each of the poles. So the length dimension varience is 22.5 cm to 24.5 cm length. I have an insert tube that can accommodate 25500 batteries, so we can narrow the width by using that tube, if necessary. However, I suspect that we will need all the diameter we can get.

I need a pack that be compatable with an LED array that can accept a maximum of 8.4 volts. So to be safe, I suppose the peak should be 8.0 volts and the operating voltage should be 7.5 volts; I welcome your recommendations there. I would like to get as much mAh as possible. And I would like to maintain operating voltage for as long as possible.

So I was thinking that the pack could have 18650 3.7 V high capacity, ideally 3000 mAh or better Li-On cells (such as the Trustfire 18560 3000 mAh cells), in 2S-4P (2 series, 4 parallel) Elephant II format, as recommended to me on this forum.

Anyway, what I want to end up with is the 7.5 operating voltage and as much mAh as I can possibly get, in a pack with button and flat cell pack ends (as in a consumer cylinder battery) to make contact with the springs). I would like 2 packs, with good protection circuitry. I also would need a charger.

FYI, it would be diffucult to convert the cannister from springs to leads, as one of the springs is difficult to reach. Please advise as to the best configuration, the cost per pack and the cost for a suitable charger and battery connections.

If you can't, do you know of a service that will. FYI, I am a consumer, not a manufacturer.

Thanks for your help.

jhcolman

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Contact LuxLuthor, one of our members who does battery pack builds. Also, google, non CPF, battery builders. I am moving this to Custom and Modified Flashlights, BST.

Bill

Dashrynn

Newly Enlightened
Right now, the best cells are 3100 redilast cells(protected and not ideal for battery pack builds). I just built a battery with 2600 mah batteries(3.7v 15.6ah)....way cheaper than 3100 mah cells. I wouldn't order the trustfire 3000 mah, they aren't reliable. You can google "18650 battery test" and see for yourself.

Try batteryspace.com for a battery, they have several.

Can you show a picture of the canister? Maybe the dive light?