Rugged Flashlight Suggestions

declipse

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I'm new here - first post. I've always enjoyed a good flashlight, and now it's turning into more of an obsession :) I'm glad I found this forum.

I'm a firefighter, and I'm looking for a good rugged light. Our department issues us a Streamlight 4AA Polymer for helmets. It survives a ton of heat, water, and abuse.. and is pretty bright. But I'd like something with an adjustable beam. There are plenty of situations where having the ability to flood an an area with light would be much preferable to having a narrow beam.

I've been keeping a LED Lenser P9 in my jacket pocket .. I like it a lot, but it seems like its not really built for much abuse. My goal is to replace both the Streamlight and the Lenser P9 with one light which makes for a good flood light, and also a good spotlight. Very bright, and durable.. around the same size as the Streamlight, so it fits into my helmet clamp. (It's adjustable to a point, so I have some room to work with).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll find the majority of flood to zoom lights are of lower quality. That led lenser you've got is probably the best constructed flood to zoom light, and as you and most here already know construction isn't all that great.

A better way to go is two dedicated lights. One should be dedicated for throw and another dedicated to flood or midrange. Because when you can get a solid light with no moving parts the durability will just be a lot better.

aimxplode

Enlightened
^^What he said about no moving parts = durability

You should look into XP-G emitters, they provide a very good amount of flood with still some solid, but not overpowering hotspot.

For dedicated throw, XP-E emitters are the way to go

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
This safety rated UK Zoom model is used by firefighters:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/UK_4AA_ZOOM_eLED.php

Several optional helmet clips available, although it may fit what you already have.

I have four of the UK Zooms - two with right angle heads and two with straight heads.

When adjusted to narrow beam throw is decent, although not as good as SL 4AA PP.

Wide beam works well when using the light for close up tasks, as does the lower output level to avoid blinding yourself.

The optional right angle swiveling neck and pocket clip turn the Zoom into a decent work light. You can clip it into a shirt pocket or set it down and swivel the neck to focus light on the work area.

Mine have seen a fair amount of use and abuse, including drops on cement and being briefly submerged, and have had no issues whatsoever.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire makes some firefighter lights. Rugged. Having more than one light is a good safety option. (Two equals 1, 1 equals none.)

epd1102

Newly Enlightened
Some of our local firefighters have started mounting weapon lights such as the SureFire X200 and X300 or Streamlight TLR-1 to their helmets. You get a bright LED in a small package that is meant to handle the recoil of a firearms so it's plenty durable. I think Streamlight has even started making a special version of their TLR-1 that has a helmet clamp built onto the light.