buzzing + minor flicker

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
A few of my lights make a buzz/hum and slightly flicker when I use them. The flicker is minor and you really need to look for it, but it's there.

Does anyone know the likely culprit? I would guess it has to do with the driver?

thanks!

nbp

Flashaholic
PWM I believe is the likely culprit. The electronics' method of creating the lower modes through pulsing the current to the LED at varying frequencies. Hit up the search bar on that term, someone smarter than me has probably described it very well at some point. ;)

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
Yup, it does seem to happen on lower settings but not on high =p

is there any way I can fix it?

thanks!

nbp

Flashaholic
Nope, it's some little component inside there that makes the buzz sound, there is nothing you can do except find a light that either doesn't use PWM or uses a frequency that is less noticeable to you. It seems to be very personal as to who it bothers and who it doesn't depending on your sensitivity. :shrug: Sorry about that.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The buzz/hum/whatever sound can be hit more miss even with the same light from the same maker.

Yes that's true. My Sunwayman V10R Ti has an annoying buzz and Sunwayman fixed it for me. Now it is perfect! It is call inductor whine.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix LD40 flickers on low sometimes and I just slap it on the back and then works fine. I assume the problem is the switch-bad contact.
On my TK11 on turbo I can hear like a mosquito buzz. I think that sound comes from the contact where the batteries touch the head-electronics. High electric current?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
gave my bro a Fenix MC10 and his does the same thing on Hi when used with an Eneloop, so it's not strictly a PWM issue. the buzz/flicker goes away once the light warms up a little.

mojospapi

Newly Enlightened
I noticed on my Fenix TK10 the flickering started to happen when I put an 18650 in. It never happened before so I assumed it was the rechargeable. I put some fresh primaries (2 x CR123) in and the flickering stopped.
*shrugs*
my $0.02

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
One of them is a romisen RC-G2, and although they are nice for a budget light, QC is still likely to be lacking. I've noticed the romisen has no unusual sounds, but the intensity of the light goes from very bright to very dim. Sometimes it will be stuck on dim for awhile, and then after giving it a rest, returns back to normal.

Does that sound like PWM?

nbp

Flashaholic
No, PWM doesn't work like that. That sounds like a defect. PWM is the driver's way of creating the modes. It should not randomly go dim to bright etc. A set brightness level is a set brightness level.